What's new

Replacement of Pakistan Army's G-3 Rifles.

which?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
We are already producing an upgraded varient of the AK-47..... which is replacing the MP-5A3 in CQB role..... but in future..... they replace the G3A3 with PK-08!
Who knows!

NOTE=PA loves 7.62...

Me too... 7.62 is a killer...more knock down power...more leathal....and if its about accuracy.... To accuracy bullet me nahi chalane wale me hoti hai...:sniper::sniper::sniper::sniper:

I think in Pakistani war situation you better have the 7.62. You need raw power to eliminate opposition. Even western armies complain about that they need to shoot more then once to eliminate target. It is less weight and handy but you need more to do the same. And the range is less. I would go for the conversion of the H&K made by POF.

The deadliest AK47 .

Does anybosy have any idea that is PK08 is just going to be 5 mm standard or could it be 7 mm standard.

i think pakistan must mix it up with 7.62 to 5.62 use them both and bring G 36 in place of G 3 and MP 7 in place of MP 5 G 36 also can be used by naval special groups because it can be fired even it is filled with water

Hey, I need some clarifications.
360px-30CalCompareVelocity.png

Velocity comparison between the 7.62x51mm NATO, .30-06 Springfield, and .300 Winchester Magnum for common bullet weights.

Provided that the bullet weight is same (from 140-18g) how the muzzle velocity is so varying??
Besides 7.62x51mm NATO(Overall length 69.85 mm) the other two even share the same overall length (85 mm)

7.62x51mm NATO - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
.300 Winchester Magnum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
.30-06 Springfield - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pakistan Army is using POF delivered G-3 rifles. The weapon is actually from a rifle category, best suited for aimed shots. It has a longer range. but who needs long range now, and fire aimed shots. Also rifle is poor in kicking back on Shoulder. All over the world, Armies hav shifted to lower calibre: 5.56 mm. The advantages of 5.56 mm calibre over 7.62 mm (as in G-3) are:

1. Lower calibre means, lighter barrel: so lesser weight of the weapon.
2. Reduction in calibre means ammunition weight is reduced per round, so more bullets, may be carried. Thats why, mags for 5.56 calibres are 30 rounds mag instead of 20 rounds.

3. Lesser propellent in cartridge case, means low weapon recoil: thus better handling qualities.

4. Better handling qualities means, weapon is good in CQB (close quarter battles).

5. Pakistan Army is mostly fighting war in hilly region, where engagement ranges do not exceed 1500 meters. Thus '5.56' is ideally suited.

6. As weapon and its ammo is light weight, so soldier may carry weapons for longer duration, distances, causing less fatigue.

So i think, Pakistan should switch to 5.56 mm calibre.
My vote is for Colt M4 Carbine ( USA).

In Mountainous country the 7.62mm is a better choice I think. The 5.56mm simply lacks the range. That is why you are seeing U.S. Special Forces in Afghanistan switching to the FN SCAR.

scar-002.jpg

the above is actually the 5.56mm versions, below are the 7.62mm.

scar-h_all.jpg

Last edited:
5.56 calibers have 'failed' in the afghan theatre - i'm not aware abt feedback from the iraq theatre.

SCAR is simply too expensive. HK417 costs only 2/3 as much.

Hi,

Most of the G 3's that I have seen have a wooden stock----are there synthetic stock available for this rifle---. Would it be a way to reduce weight. Have any of you heard about the synthetic stock or have seen it replacing the wooden stock

The 5.56 is no match for the taliban fighters under the influence of opium---.

SCAR is simply too expensive. HK417 costs only 2/3 as much.

HK-417 is a good weapon. *I show it around 3800 dollars though. where did you see it at 2/3 of the cost of the SCAR?

hk417.jpg

Designer Heckler & Koch
Manufacturer Heckler & Koch
Variants Assaulter (12" barrel - standard)
Recce (16" barrel - standard and accurized)
Sniper (20" barrel - accurized)
Specifications
Weight 3.87 kg [8.5 lbs] (12 inch barrel),
4.05 kg [8.9 lbs] (16 inch barrel),
4.23kg [9.3lbs] (20 inch barrel)
Length 805 / 885 mm (12" barrel, stock collapsed/extended),
905 / 985 mm (16" barrel, stock collapsed/extended),
1005 / 1085 mm (20" barrel, stock collapsed/extended)
Barrel length 305 mm (12 in) standard
406 mm (16 in) standard
406 mm (16 in) accurized
508 mm (20 in) accurized

Cartridge 7.62x51mm NATO
Action Gas-operated, rotating bolt
Rate of fire 600 rounds/min
Muzzle velocity 709 m/s (12 in)
750 m/s (16 in)
789 m/s (20 in)
Feed system 10 or 20 round detachable box magazine
Optional 50 round drum magazine

Sights accessory diopter/rotary or optics

Hi,

Most of the G 3's that I have seen have a wooden stock----are there synthetic stock available for this rifle---. Would it be a way to reduce weight. Have any of you heard about the synthetic stock or have seen it replacing the wooden stock

Yes! however it is still a fairly heavy weapon.

hk_g3a3.jpg

FN FAL is also another good weapon, though heavy as well.

fnfal.gif

The SCAR H Standard is only 3.5kg

Last edited:
Hi,

Sir, PA is using in very good numbers the G3A4 version having synthetic plastic being used in place of the old fashion wood.

POF makes the G3A4 & G3A3 version.

http://www.pof.gov.pk/IW_autorifles.aspx

My choice is the HK-417, 7.62mm. As said previously in the same thread by me, we will have to incur cost of just changing the rifle, ammunition would remain the same, millions of G-3s ammo magazines can be used with HK-417 too, thus no wastage of the millions of mags, cost saving on the ammo as nothing would be changed, the only cost incurred would be getting the license & machines for making the HK-417s, since it comes in different barrel lengths, thus we can make CQB rifles version to assault rifle version as well as sniper version too. The bullet has the stopping power and costs would be at the lowest and we will have yet another effective weapon in our hands for coming decades.

Even further costs could be lowered, if we get the license production from the Turkish as their Mershmit-1 design is same as the HK-416/417 series, thus they may not charge as much as the Germans would.

Plus, we need grenade launchers to be with the new rifle as standard fit and some other accessories as well as a standard SAW as MG3 is too heavy, M249 is the best example or the MG4 design.

I still remember that documentary part in which the army personnel using G-3 was not happy with its performance and the main issues according to him were

It is very heavy
It gets stuck/jammed so often ,after firing few rounds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom