What's new

Residents begin to leave Saint Martin’s Island as Cyclone Mocha looms

IHH.jpg

:smokin:

main-qimg-26870ffa0060bb5bbead1bbc0f4fc669.webp

So you are reliving yourself here overjoyed that a cyclone hit Bangladesh?

But no one is dead in Bangladesh, hope this news will not give you a constipation.
maxresdefault.jpg

even our potty goes downstream into BD

@Destranator @bluesky

Dont know how it works with Islam/Allah mian but in our religion they say that if a land is ruled by a righteous ruler it is blessed with plentiful rain and good weather by Ishwar; and if not it is visited by natural calamities.

The fact that the cyclone has not caused any damage shows what ishwar thinks about SHW. May she be blessed with a long life and glorious reign.

Regards

@Destranator @bluesky

Dont know how it works with Islam/Allah mian but in our religion they say that if a land is ruled by a righteous ruler it is blessed with plentiful rain and good weather by Ishwar; and if not it is visited by natural calamities.

The fact that the cyclone has not caused any damage shows what ishwar thinks about SHW. May she be blessed with a long life and glorious reign.

Regards
Modi ka aashirwaad jo hai

chalo, theek hai but

warna even more hilsakhor lungis would be crawling into here

Cyclone Mocha: 2,000 homes destroyed, 10,000 damaged in Saint Martin's island, Teknaf: State Minister​

UNB

Published :
May 15, 2023 11:37 PM

About 2,000 homes were destroyed and over 10,000 houses were partially damaged during tropical cyclone Mocha in Saint Martin's Island and the Teknaf upazila of Cox’s Bazar district, said State Minister for Disaster Management and Relief Dr Enamur Rahman on Monday.

However, no casualties had been reported as the authorities concerned managed to move vulnerable people from cyclone-prone areas to shelters, he said while talking to reporters at the Secretariat.

When the very severe cyclonic storm Mocha crossed Bangladesh's coast, the wind speed was 148 km per hour on Saint Martin's Island and 80 km per hour in Cox’s Bazar and Teknaf, said the state minister.

Mentioning the damage caused by Mocha, Enamur said many trees were uprooted while a number of people were injured. They are undergoing treatment in local hospitals, he said.

Besides, the local administration is taking care of those who returned to their respective homes after the announcement of hoisting local cautionary signal no 3 instead of great danger signal no 10 by the Bangladesh Meteorological Department, he said.
"We have asked to provide corrugated iron sheets and cash money for the rehabilitation of the people in vulnerable areas, and a list will be made and necessary assistance will be provided as per the list,’ he said.

Replying to a question, the state minister said the respective ministries will ascertain the damage caused by Mocha in the crop, fisheries, power, and road sectors.

Already, the fallen trees, responsible for creating obstacles, have been removed from the roads, while the communications system and power connection are now operational.

I am not so worried about the structural integrity of primary structures (i.e., beams, columns, load bearing wall, etc.). Building compliant to the regular building code should be able to keep standing through a cyclone. My concerns are related to:
1. secondary/tertiary elements of buildings (e.g.- canopies, windows, etc.) other pieces of infrastructure (electric poles, wiring, street lights, etc.) flying off and striking people and damaging other infrastructure.
2. Flood protection

Relevant codes, standards and regulations need to be tailored for coastal areas to minimise damage.
You are giving emphasis on wind load. But a structure must be built to withstand both the forces from cyclone as well as earthquakes.

Usually, the horizontal component of an earthquake force would dominate a structural design analysis even in Dhaka near/ under which a fault line stretches from the Himalayas to Thailand.

As far as I understand Dhaka, Sylhet or Kumilla are to withstand a heavy jolt. But, even the piled foundations in Dhaka are a copy of what a company constructed before.

No mathematical analysis to prove the structure or its piled foundations can withstand horizontal sway during a medium to high earthquake.

However, our people here usually think it is no problem because the construction team follows drawings.

No one asks if the drawings are prepared based on structural analysis by complex math calculation. Getting the value of wind speed in psf or kg/ m2 is only the tip in the iceberg.

Dhaka may face a Turkey type of destruction when it is an earthquake. Wind five is weaker than the earthquake force.

I am not so worried about the structural integrity of primary structures (i.e., beams, columns, load bearing wall, etc.). Building compliant to the regular building code should be able to keep standing through a cyclone. My concerns are related to:
1. secondary/tertiary elements of buildings (e.g.- canopies, windows, etc.) other pieces of infrastructure (electric poles, wiring, street lights, etc.) flying off and striking people and damaging other infrastructure.
2. Flood protection

Relevant codes, standards and regulations need to be tailored for coastal areas to minimise damage.
You are giving emphasis on wind load. But a structure must be built to withstand both the forces from cyclone as well as earthquakes.

Usually, the horizontal component of an earthquake force would dominant a structural design analysis even in Dhaka and it’s under which a fault line stretches from the Himalayas to Thailand.

As far as I understand Dhaka, Sylhet or Kumilla are not to withstand a heavy jolt. Even piled foundations are a copy of what a company constructed before. No mathematical analysis to prove the structure or its foundations can withstand horizontal sway during a medium to high earthquake.

However, our people here usually think it is no problem because the construction team follows drawings. No one asks if the drawings are prepared based on math analysis.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom