What's new

Rio Olympics 2016: Team China News and Images

Chinese offer solutions to lackluster Rio Games results
By Chen Heying (Global Times) August 25, 2016

FOREIGN201608250831000291974905970.jpg

Cannot afford to lose at Tokyo: Web users

Discussions in China on the country's "worst Olympic flop" in recent memory remains high as government officials urge Team China coaches to "deeply reflect" on their work.

The UK beat China to second in total gold medals at the Rio Games, with China bagging only 26 to the UK's 27, as China faltered in some of its traditionally strong events, such as women's badminton and gymnastics.

China topped the Olympic medal standings for the first time with 51 gold medals in the 2008 Beijing Games, which dropped to 38 in London four years ago.

"We will deeply reflect on the problems exposed at the Games," Liu Peng, director of the General Administration of Sports, told a press conference on Saturday.

He said that the Chinese teams had not done enough to realize that more countries are focusing more on the Olympic Games, and their training and management have reached new levels, the Xinhua News Agency reported on Sunday.

Liu also said young athletes were not motivated enough when they faced fierce competition. He lauded the women's volleyball team's fighting spirit in winning its first Olympic title in 12 years.

The Chinese, who had been happy with the relaxed disposition of Chinese athletes at the beginning of the Rio Games, have started to discuss the causes for the poor performance and offering solutions to help the team make a comeback at the 2020 Games hosted by arch-rival Japan.

China's gymnastics team failed to win gold, settling for two bronzes - their worst-ever performance at the Olympic Games. Gymnastics has long been a traditional powerhouse of Chinese Olympians. Four years ago in London, China claimed four titles. At the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games, it grabbed nine gold medals.

Wang Qi, China Sports Industry Group manager and a sports marketing expert, attributed the fiasco to sports authorities' zeal for quick success.

"The Chinese athletes' inadequate fitness cannot be hidden by their remarkable gymnastics skills," Wang told the Global Times.

In badminton, China faced tough competition and wound up winning two golds after Chen Long defeated Malaysian Lee Chong Wei for the men's singles title, followed by Japan which won one gold and one silver. China's loss in the women's doubles was the first time Chinese shuttlers missed the gold medal in 20 years.

The badminton team's debacle is partly the result of outdated training programs, as Chinese athletes failed to match their rivals who boast greater physical strength and quicker responses, Wang said. He added there's a need to expand the shrinking talent pool.

Echoing Wang, He Wenyi, executive director of Peking University's China Institute for Sports Value, told the Global Times that sports authorities should work with their educational counterparts to popularize sports in schools, instead of simply depending on specialized sports schools to select and train youngsters, when those schools have already began lose their appeal.

Wang suggested more public access to public sports facilities, citing Zhejiang Province - the home of many Olympic athletes - as an example.

"Zhejiang's government build many public swimming pools. The more facilities, the greater the chances are for discovering and training talent," he said.

Beating arch-rival in 2020

Though the Chinese have begun to prioritize national fitness and recreational sports over seeking national pride from competitions like the Olympic Games, they also expect a better performance from the Chinese team at the Tokyo Games.

Being forgiven for losing to Great Britain does not mean the Chinese would be willing to see the national team lose to the Japanese, an arch-rival since WWII, Wang said.

"[I would like to hear] China's national anthem played in Tokyo again and again four years from now," Sina Weibo user "Feiji feiyuanle" said.

The Chinese national team will face stiff competition from the 2020 host country, even in some of China's traditional strengths, such as table tennis.

"We face greater challenges as our new team faces a Japanese squad which will come of age at the Tokyo Games," Kong Linghui, head coach of China's table tennis women's team, was quoted by Xinhua as saying.

My heart is dead. The girl I like most won't find a boy under 2m.:cry:

Many of them have waited for a whole night....
They should have more days in HK!

Hundreds of fans welcome volleyball girls back home at Beijing Capital Airport
View attachment 328459 View attachment 328461 View attachment 328460 View attachment 328462 View attachment 328463 View attachment 328464

haahah, our girls are warmest welcomed back!

Chinese offer solutions to lackluster Rio Games results
By Chen Heying (Global Times) August 25, 2016

FOREIGN201608250831000291974905970.jpg

Cannot afford to lose at Tokyo: Web users

Discussions in China on the country's "worst Olympic flop" in recent memory remains high as government officials urge Team China coaches to "deeply reflect" on their work.

The UK beat China to second in total gold medals at the Rio Games, with China bagging only 26 to the UK's 27, as China faltered in some of its traditionally strong events, such as women's badminton and gymnastics.

China topped the Olympic medal standings for the first time with 51 gold medals in the 2008 Beijing Games, which dropped to 38 in London four years ago.

"We will deeply reflect on the problems exposed at the Games," Liu Peng, director of the General Administration of Sports, told a press conference on Saturday.

He said that the Chinese teams had not done enough to realize that more countries are focusing more on the Olympic Games, and their training and management have reached new levels, the Xinhua News Agency reported on Sunday.

Liu also said young athletes were not motivated enough when they faced fierce competition. He lauded the women's volleyball team's fighting spirit in winning its first Olympic title in 12 years.

The Chinese, who had been happy with the relaxed disposition of Chinese athletes at the beginning of the Rio Games, have started to discuss the causes for the poor performance and offering solutions to help the team make a comeback at the 2020 Games hosted by arch-rival Japan.

China's gymnastics team failed to win gold, settling for two bronzes - their worst-ever performance at the Olympic Games. Gymnastics has long been a traditional powerhouse of Chinese Olympians. Four years ago in London, China claimed four titles. At the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games, it grabbed nine gold medals.

Wang Qi, China Sports Industry Group manager and a sports marketing expert, attributed the fiasco to sports authorities' zeal for quick success.

"The Chinese athletes' inadequate fitness cannot be hidden by their remarkable gymnastics skills," Wang told the Global Times.

In badminton, China faced tough competition and wound up winning two golds after Chen Long defeated Malaysian Lee Chong Wei for the men's singles title, followed by Japan which won one gold and one silver. China's loss in the women's doubles was the first time Chinese shuttlers missed the gold medal in 20 years.

The badminton team's debacle is partly the result of outdated training programs, as Chinese athletes failed to match their rivals who boast greater physical strength and quicker responses, Wang said. He added there's a need to expand the shrinking talent pool.

Echoing Wang, He Wenyi, executive director of Peking University's China Institute for Sports Value, told the Global Times that sports authorities should work with their educational counterparts to popularize sports in schools, instead of simply depending on specialized sports schools to select and train youngsters, when those schools have already began lose their appeal.

Wang suggested more public access to public sports facilities, citing Zhejiang Province - the home of many Olympic athletes - as an example.

"Zhejiang's government build many public swimming pools. The more facilities, the greater the chances are for discovering and training talent," he said.

Beating arch-rival in 2020

Though the Chinese have begun to prioritize national fitness and recreational sports over seeking national pride from competitions like the Olympic Games, they also expect a better performance from the Chinese team at the Tokyo Games.

Being forgiven for losing to Great Britain does not mean the Chinese would be willing to see the national team lose to the Japanese, an arch-rival since WWII, Wang said.

"[I would like to hear] China's national anthem played in Tokyo again and again four years from now," Sina Weibo user "Feiji feiyuanle" said.

The Chinese national team will face stiff competition from the 2020 host country, even in some of China's traditional strengths, such as table tennis.

"We face greater challenges as our new team faces a Japanese squad which will come of age at the Tokyo Games," Kong Linghui, head coach of China's table tennis women's team, was quoted by Xinhua as saying.

For all those people that think losing to Britain and getting crushed by the US is somehow 'okay', these are the same people that have a loser mentality.

If you're not aiming for number 1, you're setting up for failure.

Would these people that have such defeatist mentality still be happy if China finished 10th on the medal table?

Olympics medal table, Top 500 supercomputer list, space program, global brands, Special Drawing Rights, etc are things for a nation to show its standing in the world.

Losing Olympics is absolutely unacceptable for a country of China's size, wealth and capabilities.

Outdated training methods must be eliminated and modern methods implemented. Young athletes should be groomed in the world championships, not at the Olympics.

Public sports facilities should ALWAYS be open to the general public. How else are people supposed to train?

Host country nearly always does well. Japan will be very strong in 2020. Even in table tennis, they had very good players.

I want gold medal winners, not funny or cute people.

This is serious business here. Not a joke.

China doesn't want to end up as a failure like India.

Last edited:
Facial expressions of Chinese swimmer Fu Yuanhui goes viral

View attachment 324416

China's women's swimmer Fu Yuanhui has created a sensation online not just by winning the bronze medal in the 100m backstroke competition, but also by her facial expressions during the post-semifinal interview with China Central Television (CCTV) on Monday.

Fu swam into the women's 100m backstroke final with 58.95 seconds in the semifinal, setting her personal best in the game. When the CCTV reporter informed her about the lap time, Fu's eyes suddenly widened and said: "I am very satisfied with my performance and I thought it was 59 seconds."

When asked whether she held back for the final, Fu replied, "No, I utilized my 'prehistorical' power." What she meant was that she had spared no efforts in the semifinal.

Since then, the so-called "prehistorical power" has gone viral and become a new internet meme. The phrase originates from a Chinese fantasy drama "The journey of Flower" or "Hua Qian Gu", and its English translation first appeared on the subtitles of CCTV news channel.

Meanwhile, her facial expressions have been widely shared among Chinese social media. Many internet users have named the 20-year-old swimmer as the new generation of "Wang Hong", or internet celebrity. On August 8, her latest post on her Sina Weibo, a Twitter-like social media platform, has gained more than 900,000 "likes" and 160,000 comments.

In the just-concluded women's 100m backstroke final, Fu Yuanhui once again outdid her personal best performance with 58.76 seconds and tied for the bronze.

"It is probably my short arms to blame. Since I utilized the 'prehistorical' yesterday, my strength dried," Fu said with her unique humor, as her performance was only 0.01 second behind the second place.

View attachment 324417

View attachment 324428 View attachment 324430 View attachment 324431

She is very adorable.

He doesn't have the power to do that, it was a moderator. I'm going to remove the rest of the argumentative posts.
sorry Waz, I didn't know he cannot do that. But he seem to be on my case recently so I was very upset.

sorry Waz, I didn't know he cannot do that. But he seem to be on my case recently so I was very upset.

No problem bro. Let's just keep it clean here until we bring in some big changes in here.

Folks can we just drop it or I will lock the thread.

No problem bro. Let's just keep it clean here until we bring in some big changes in here.

Pls fairly delete all unrelated trolling comments, not just Chinese members' replies.
Have we done it in your UK thread or their USA Rio thread???
Who are actually infested here? Who can't really resist their desire trolling in China Rio thread which has nothing to do with Viet or indians?

Pls fairly delete all unrelated trolling comments, not just Chinese members' replies.
Have we done it in your UK thread or their USA Rio thread???
Who are actually infested here?

Everything is deleted .

Dear Waz, I need to speak against bias. Over the course of the Olympic, you have seen many anti-chinese coming here to disrupt this thread. But we never went to look for trouble in their threads, even when they called out Chinese, did we? Yet Mod blamed us for calling out the US. What about just now? Did anyone talk about US?

Last edited:
Dear Waz, I need to speak against bias. Over the course of the Olympic, you have seen many anti-chinese coming here to disrupt this thread. But we never went to look for trouble in their threads, did we? Yet Mod blamed us for calling out the US, What about just now? Did we mention US?
It's called double standards....

Last edited:
Mainland Olympians in Hong Kong for three-day visit

Xinhua, August 28, 2016

Guests pose for a group photo with members of a delegation of Chinese mainland Olympians during a banquet held by the government of Hong Kong Special Administrative Region to welcome the delegation, in Hong Kong, south China, Aug. 27, 2016. [Photo/Xinhua]

The comments were made by Liu Peng, minister of the General Administration of Sport of China, at a press conference where the athletes and their coaches shared with the audience their spirit of Chinese sports which took them to success at the Rio Olympic Games.

Liu said the praise from Hong Kong people towards the delegation would serve as an encouragement as the athletes continue to strive towards "faster, higher and stronger" goals.

The athletes' endeavors will in turn become a role model for the Hong Kong people, encouraging them to have more physical exercise and pursue higher qualities of life, he said.

The official said the Chinese athletes and coaches have demonstrated the Olympic spirit and the spirit of Chinese sports at the Rio Olympics, as they deepened exchanges and friendship with athletes from all over the world.

"Apart from excellent sporting skills and high moral standards, the Chinese Olympic delegation has shown the world our positive energy and the spirit of the Chinese youth," he added.

A good example of the spirit of Chinese sports is the Chinese women's volleyball team, which has won the gold medal in the Rio Olympics, said Liu.

Head coach of the team, Lang Ping, said Chinese women's volleyball team has undergone many reforms and witnessed remarkable progress technically since the 1980s, but the "women's volleyball spirit" is never outdated.

"Every player is fighting for the team's honor, and the spirit of 'never giving up' is the foundation of the 'women's volleyball spirit'," she said.

Chinese Olympic swimmer Fu Yuanhui also said that the spirit of sport is to never give up. As a first-time visitor, Fu said she has wanted to come to Hong Kong for a long time because it has delicious food and many fun stuff.

"People from Hong Kong and the Chinese mainland are bonded by flesh and blood," she said.

A 64-member delegation including 42 Rio Olympic gold medalists and three elite athletes from the Chinese mainland arrived in Hong Kong earlier Saturday for a three-day visit.

They will showcase their sporting skills, join music performance and communicate with Hong Kong residents during the visit.

Guests propose a toast during a banquet held by the government of China's Hong Kong Special Administrative Region to welcome a 64-member delegation including 42 Rio Olympic gold medalists and three elite athletes from Chinese mainland at Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Center in Hong Kong, south China, Aug. 27, 2016. (Xinhua/Wang Shen)

A banquet is held by the government of China's Hong Kong Special Administrative Region to welcome a 64-member delegation including 42 Rio Olympic gold medalists and three elite athletes from Chinese mainland at Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Center in Hong Kong, south China, Aug. 27, 2016. (Xinhua/Wang Shen)

A banquet is held by the government of China's Hong Kong Special Administrative Region to welcome a 64-member delegation including 42 Rio Olympic gold medalists and three elite athletes from Chinese mainland at Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Center in Hong Kong, south China, Aug. 27, 2016. (Xinhua/Wang Shen)

d02788e9b6d4192c8b2f2a.jpg

Leung Chun-ying (L), chief executive of China's Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (SAR), talks with swimmer Fu Yuanhui during a banquet held by the government of Hong Kong SAR to welcome a delegation of Chinese mainland Olympians, in Hong Kong, south China, Aug. 27, 2016. (Xinhua)

Back
Top Bottom