What's new

Roman Empire vs Han Empire

It is a bit surprising the two empires never came into direct contact. At one time they each had outposts in southwest Asia that were less than a hundred miles apart. The explanation is that the Parthians, who were key intermediaries of the Rome-China trade, successfully kept Rome and China from directly communicating with each other for hundreds of years, to Parthia's own profit.

Hello @Solomon2 ,

It is amazing that these two civilizations never a contiguous boundary, i agree with you. The Romans showed interest in expanding further into Asia as seen in their campaigns against the Parthian Empire, in fact I do remember reading the Roman Emperor Septimus Severus who had lead the Roman Army to seized the cities of Seleucia and Babylon, and sacking the great Parthian city of Ctesiphon. The Romans showed great earnest in returning to status quo ante , and never going into deep into Asia. I wonder what acted as an inhibitor for the Roman gall for conquest? Perhaps it was the issue of frontier defense in Europa? Perhaps it was the cost in maintaining the legions throughout the Empire ? For me, however, I think the Romans could have conquered Parthia , but they preferred to keep and retain her as a boundary state. Sometimes I do wonder how it would have been like had Rome expanded deep into Asia and had a contiguous boundary with the Han Dynasty.

Your insight?

yet most empires since the fall of the Romans have emulated the Romans.

Romans are truly a empire unmatched in it's influence on the world.

the Han was a inward looking empire while the Romans was always striving for what laid beyond.

Contextually, you have a point. The Roman Empire would influence Western Civilization. However it was during the Han Dynasty that Confucianism became adopted by the State, and then later spread throughout Greater East Asia. Confucianism, particularly Neo-Confucian Culture would spread and define the civilizations in present day Japan, Korea, China, and even Vietnam.

Perhaps it can be argued that both the Han Dynasty and Roman Empire led to the molding of the cultures in contiguous states , respectively.

lol,
Song failed because the Song Dynasty in the beginning, did not get the northern China for breeding horses land, leading the cavalry behind.
Ming was defeated due to civil strife, Li Zicheng attacking Beijing, so the Ming dynasty decline ,emperor Suicided,later, the Qing opportunity occupation of Beijing.

Why you "lol" ??? Let me tell you this, for every defeat of every nation, there are both internal and external causes. The external cause is from the outside invader while the internal cause is from within ( impotent leaders, corrupt government, social disparity etc..). That is true for every nation, not just China. But any excuse can not get rid of the fact that the nation did fail.

Thanks for that clarification, @dlclong , can you post more pictures of Han Military Weapons ?
d804253b5bb5c9eacf3c5abed539b60038f3b3c4.jpg
97542c46f21fbe09a3a99a496b600c338644ad1c.jpg

Han armor mostly was leather armor, , also have iron armor,
The following is the iron armor - 铁札甲,Ancient tomb unearthed

Xuzhou Han Dynasty tomb
c996e82fbf782e0a1e3089e9 (1).jpg

Han Dynasty tombs in Inner Mongolia
b446d20fd995fddfaa6457ee.jpg
df44bdef62664d04adafd5ef (1).jpg

Another kind of armor --鱼鳞甲-
12eae445b8e7d20d869473ef.jpg
from Guangdong,南越王墓
-----

this is from shandong west Han 齐王 tomb
7cb1a709f5b09ab0d0581bee.jpg

3ad6f194d5ad7b2cd31b70ef.jpg
This is the Qin Dynasty stone armor

Last edited:
Spring and Autumn Period, bronze helmet
microfotos_1955523simple.jpg
bb2cf436afc3793196b1262ee8c4b74542a9113c.jpg

Spring and Autumn and Warring States period, China began to have copper armor, iron armor,

This armor is also a bad place, they was too bulky

Last edited:
@dlclong ,

Excellent pictures, and i'm actually amazed to see that the Qin Dynasty even used Stone Armor? Interesting, truly!

PS. Have you noticed that in East Asian military paintings, all soldiers and generals are portrayed with heavy facial hair? I've noticed this as a trait in Japanese, Korean and Chinese perspectives. Please permit me to show some illustration:

Baekjae Generals (Korean):
068006053_L[1].JPG

--------------

Chinese General of the Song Dynasty:
MovieReviewSavingGeneralYang5[1].jpg

-------------

Mifune Toshiro, portraying a Samurai:
tumblr_mfeh2ywgQb1qbhnrvo1_1280[1].jpg

Obviously the Romans. The orientals had leather/bamboo armor while the Romans had metal. The Romans also had better military doctrine.
Are your in pre-shcool? Have you ever learned history? or your history teacher is PHD of Gym? Those "orientals" with leather/bamboo armor are obviously indian. Oh, sorry, I forgot, there is not india yet. you people are everything or nothing at that time, just waiting for the next conquerors.
Please remember!! not every oriental is the "orientals" as your ancestors!!

well, Roman had metal and had better military doctrine?
but why did they tremble with Attila and Goth, who dressed leather, and Hannibal without any military doctrine? this suggests that not all Barbarian dressed leather are cowards as your ancestors.

Last edited:
@dlclong ,

Excellent pictures, and i'm actually amazed to see that the Qin Dynasty even used Stone Armor? Interesting, truly!

PS. Have you noticed that in East Asian military paintings, all soldiers and generals are portrayed with heavy facial hair? I've noticed this as a trait in Japanese, Korean and Chinese perspectives. Please permit me to show some illustration:

Baekjae Generals (Korean):
View attachment 156328

--------------

Chinese General of the Song Dynasty:
View attachment 156329

-------------

Mifune Toshiro, portraying a Samurai:
View attachment 156341
Qin state the main armor also leather armor, armor stone rarely.
Copper armor is also not a lot. At that time productivity limit, but also bulky.

East Asia in ancient times people build hair, beards, Chinese tradition says the body and Hair is from the parents,身体发肤受之于父母,cannot shaved, the other said that beard on behalf of strength, longevity, but also was the aesthetic.

Did you see them in hollywood movies?

Yes, where else can I see live demo :sarcastic:Within thousand years, body structure didnt change that much I suppose.

Han empire have advantage on land warfare for their large numbers. But Romans are superior with their military strategy and Naval power.

Qin state the main armor also leather armor, armor stone rarely.
Copper armor is also not a lot. At that time productivity limit, but also bulky.

East Asia in ancient times people build hair, beards, Chinese tradition says the body and Hair is from the parents,身体发肤受之于父母,cannot shaved, the other said that beard on behalf of strength, longevity, but also was the aesthetic.

Very interesting ! During Yayoi Jidai , Kofun Jidai , all the way up to Sengoku Jidai, Japanese samurais showed their virility by presence of Hige 髭, Hige is facial hair. The thicker one's Hige was, the more virile he was seen. This is why it was common for Daimyos to sport very thick facial hair, and also grew also the Mage 髷 (Long hair). This commanded power.

It was later on during Meiji Period , during Meiji Revolution that people were taught by growing Hige and Mage, one looked barbaric. Hence preference to keep clean face. But throughout Japanese History and Culture, it was always common practice to grow facial hair.

Japan%203[1].jpg

the Han was a inward looking empire while the Romans was always striving for what laid beyond.

The Han influenced east asian culture from chopsticks to Confucianism.

That is why so many people worship Jupiter today? Or are you confusing classical Rome with the Holy Roman Empire / Byzantium? The latter influences Czarist Russia, Third Reich and Vatican.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom