What's new

Russia blocks sale of engines for Sino-Pak fighter jets

Status
Not open for further replies.
MiG & Sukhoi fear competition with JF-17

Russian aircraft makers MiG and Sukhoi have spoken against the sale of RD-93 jet engines to China citing the threat of strong competition from cheaper Chinese models of fighter aircraft.

Russia's state arms exporter Rosoboronexport planned to sign a contract with China on the delivery of 100 RD-93 engines for FC-1 fighters, which are direct competitors of the famed MiG-29 Fulcrum aircraft.

Mikhail Pogosyan, the head of the MiG and Sukhoi corporations, said the re-export of technologies must be approved by the original manufacturers to avoid unfair competition.

The FC-1 Xiaolong (Fierce Dragon) is a single-engine multi-role fighter aircraft developed jointly by China and Pakistan. It is designated as JF-17 Thunder by Pakistan.

A Russian aircraft industry source said the FC-1 is inferior to MiG-29 in performance, but sells for about $10 million, while the price of a MiG-29 is about $35 mln.

MiG-29s are currently competing with FC-1s in an Egyptian tender on the delivery of 32 fighters. In addition, Egypt has launched negotiations with Pakistan on the licensed production of FC-1 aircraft.
Russian Federal Service for Military-Technical Cooperation (FSMTC) approved the re-export of RD-93 engines to Egypt as part of the FC-1 fighter package in November 2007.

Rosoboronexport has said a decision to allow the re-export of technology could be made only by the government, and the manufacturers have never been consulted on the issue.

Russian weapons manufacturers are also facing increasing competition from China on other arms markets.

Russian S-300 and Chinese HQ-9 air defense systems have been competing in a Turkish tender since 2007.

Russian and Chinese armored personnel carriers competed in an Indonesian tender in 2007.

In 2009, Myanmar chose Russian Mig-29s over Chinese J-10s and FC-1s.

Russia has also accused China of producing its own copycat versions of some Russian-made weaponry, including the Su-27SK fighter jet, in violation of intellectual property agreements.

Russian combat aircraft makers fear competition with China | Defense | RIA Novosti

$10 million is horrendous. How will Chinese company earn profit?

i was expected only this type of answer from pak mamber.....any other serious member..
Thats the answer....All your questions has been answered in JF 17 thread...?? Because if we say any thing you'll reply source....Then we'll have to search the whole thread again for that one post and give you the source....So just have a look at it your self......Lot has been discussed to satisfy your whatever......

BTW go through it and you'll find other silly question as well...It will help you prove you are not the worse.

This means you know jack about International diplomacy. Simple rule in mordern warfare.

"Enemy must be dead before he even guesses what hit him."

We will cry and we make sure that you dont get any weapons. Even if u get a baseball bat we will cry. Eventhough America has such a powerful armed forces they cry wen Iran gets a missile. That is how the world is.

You mean international hypocrisy? Keep crying. Your cries are only heard in the countries running for your mmrcs. Once it is done everything you guys did will be undone. i hope you guys are ready for it. I mean you wil have to cry lot harder once France starts sending the avoinics or Russians give us the engines.

Your quote is out of context. It only highlights the need to stay alert and vigilant and one step ahead. It is certainly not saying that make sure your enemy has nothing to defend himself before you hit him.

I already mentioned that India wants to enjoy the ease that US and Israel enjoys. The only problem is that when these comfort loving forces faces tough opponents then Lebanon and Afghanistan happens.

as i said Don't yearn for a weaker enemy.

You mean international hypocrisy? Keep crying. Your cries are only heard in the countries running for your mmrcs. Once it is done everything you guys did will be undone. i hope you guys are ready for it. I mean you wil have to cry lot harder once France starts sending the avoinics or Russians give us the engines.

Your quote is out of context. It only highlights the need to stay alert and vigilant. It is certainly not saying that make sure your enemy has nothing to defend himself before you hit him.

I already mentioned that India wants to enjoy the ease that US and Israel enjoys. The only problem is that when these comfort loving forces faces tough opponents then Lebanon and Afghanistan happens.

as i said Don't yearn for a weaker enemy.
Why cry when your own policy isn't any different?

OK, back to the topic.

I take it the conclusion from the news report (and the discussion around it) is that there will be no impact on the PAF's JF-17 plans, but if the concerns of the Russian manufacturers are given weight by the Russian authorities, the exports of the JF-17 might be impacted.

So from a Pakistani security perspective there is little to be concerned about, except that if the deal on engines for JF-17 exports does not go through it yet again highlights the unreliability of the Russians on implementing contracts and agreements, which in a way does have a secondary impact on the perceived need to move away from Russian sourced components as quickly as possible, and therefore focus on the WS-13 as a future power-plant for the Pakistani and export versions of the JF-17.

Of course one must remember that so far it is not yet guaranteed that the Russian engines for non-Pakistani JF-17 exports will be canceled.

Last edited:
Why cry when your own policy isn't any different?

As i said protest and crying is way different. Let me give you an example.

When US and India signed the nuclear deal, Pakistan protested saying everyone should be treated equally. Pak never cried saying Indians should not have it!!

Now China-pak deal is on and all i can say is go read Indian news websites to get the idea of how Indians have been crying. Demanding that no such deal should go ahead tells everything clearly.

So plz you may protest but don't cry. One more thing. Get done with your mrca already because you guys have used it enough to black pak acquisitions. Time is near when India will become a joke and no one would care about your tender anymore. The whole idea of using 10billion against pak acquisitions was good but its short lived. You can't fool the entire world forever. you are not USA haha.

Sorry for being off topic....

ON topic.....this wouldn't stop the jf17 program and we have other options.

Last edited:
This means you know jack about International diplomacy. Simple rule in mordern warfare.

"Enemy must be dead before he even guesses what hit him."

We will cry and we make sure that you dont get any weapons. Even if u get a baseball bat we will cry. Eventhough America has such a powerful armed forces they cry wen Iran gets a missile. That is how the world is.

Stright from the horses mouth... Someone call a Waambulance and fill my care cup c(_) it's empty for such hopeless comments.

Back on topic, people can
and :victory: all they want. We will set get the engines, we will still get the aircraft and you will still be

Goto: http://www.defence.pk/forums/milita...thunders-new-more-potent-superior-engine.html

Good Day!

---------- Post added at 03:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:28 PM ----------

It's not stopping anything period. They need to learn to live with it.

We already have the engines we need......So nothing to worry about....Our fleet will be up and running on time....

Indians seem pretty happy about this.

Anyways i'd rather have 100 J-10's than 200 JF-17s. Seems like a better choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom