What's new

Russia hopes for a contract to deliver 197 light observation helicopters to

Not really. 180 orders of LCH has already filled the IA and IAF's kitty with attack helos. The Apaches would be complementing the LCHs in combat. We don't need too many heavy attack helos because of our region of conflict can't be handled easily by heavy gunships.

I'd beg to differ boss, those 20 odd Mi-24s are due for retirement soon, and further delay in LCH project could compel us to go for more Apaches.

I'd beg to differ boss, those 20 odd Mi-24s are due for retirement soon, and further delay in LCH project could compel us to go for more Apaches.

But there is no delay in LCH program. Infact, its being done in record time. We'd be getting it by 3rd quarter of next year. Mi-35s are already covered with 22 Apaches.

But there is no delay in LCH program. Infact, its being done in record time. We'd be getting it by 3rd quarter of next year. Mi-35s are already covered with 22 Apaches.

There's NO WAY any LCH will be delivered by Q3 2013. I don't think even HAL have said as much recently, a much more realistic timeline would be Q4 2014. There is still a HUGE amount of testing/integration to be done, HAL wants upto 9 test vehicles eventually- all having to conduct specific tests. We are barely seeing the 3rd test vehicle being flown in Q2 of 2012.

+ how do you see Ka-226 being clearly in the lead, most (objective) reports clearly site Eurocopter wins by a country mile. There has been much speculation that the cause of the delay is because the Ka-226 failed the high-altitude start-up tests conducted by IAF as such the deal should have been scrapped there and then or entered in to a single-party procurement not proceeded as it did. And you can't buy a helo based on one specific requirement (at least not in this deal). India needs to push for more public/private HEMS and dedicated SAR birds (much of this is already happening and it has been reported V-22 is looking at seriously for high altitiude SAR duties for IAF).

I'd say, no LCHs will be inducted before 2015. :mps:

The total requirement is of nearly 400 helicopters. Half is planned to be imported and half to be made.

Not really. 180 orders of LCH has already filled the IA and IAF's kitty with attack helos. The Apaches would be complementing the LCHs in combat. We don't need too many heavy attack helos because of our region of conflict can't be handled easily by heavy gunships.

Depends. Looking at what happened in my region last year, Ka-226 may take the kitty away. Also reports suggest that Kamov is in lead.

Ours is very Soviet-ized mindset and our corrupt politicians woke up to indigenization only in the last 1 decade. Tejas fighter's first flights started happening only after 2001 when first model took to the sky even though program was first planned in 1983.

Whatever progress you are seeing in our indigenous fighter program only happened in last 11 years. The years before that were nothing with almost nothing being done due to sanctions and political corruption.

But we will slowly emerge. :)

i like the last part.

No, Apache wins hands down. Better situational awareness and wide range of weapons and can be operated at much higher altitudes while Ka-52 can't. Till now an order of 22 Apaches has been placed but in future orders can exceed 60-80.

You forgot superior speed of KA-52, 1,5 times higher rate of climb, superior maneuverability and range.

Hope Kamov wins this one...ONLY ..if they can deliver as per Schedule.
Russians, unfortunately, have poor delivery track record.

Why so? Don't forget that we will induct Rudra soon, so even if LCH would face delays, it would be the much better choice to get Rudras as stop gaps, because of the commonality to LCH. You could even use the weapons and electro optics in the LCH later and re-configure Rudra to normal Dhruvs again. So only because of delays, we don't need more foreign stuff this time.

No, Apache wins hands down. Better situational awareness and wide range of weapons and can be operated at much higher altitudes while Ka-52 can't. Till now an order of 22 Apaches has been placed but in future orders can exceed 60-80.
Awesome!!! When was the order placed?! din't seemm to get word of it :) care to post the link?!

Hope Kamov wins this one...ONLY ..if they can deliver as per Schedule.
Russians, unfortunately, have poor delivery track record.
Any Russian member on the forum knows what are the measures taken by Russia to address the issues of spare parts and delay of deliveries in various deals ? I mean even Russia is aware of India is not happy with delay right ?

You forgot superior speed of KA-52, 1,5 times higher rate of climb, superior maneuverability and range.

I'm sorry but in WARTIME (not airshows) these advantages of the "Alligator" are more than countered by the AH-64D Blk.III's (version IAF will be getting) significantly superior avionics and technology- an area that Russia has always been inferior to the US, which are simply unmatched worldwide.

I'm sorry but in WARTIME (not airshows) these advantages of the "Alligator" are more than countered by the AH-64D Blk.III's (version IAF will be getting) significantly superior avionics and technology- an area that Russia has always been inferior to the US, which are simply unmatched worldwide.

Its pointless to talk about electronics no one tested them against each other, but KA-52 has one more small advantage that would be very hard to counter by Apache in wartime - ejection seats.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom