What's new

Russia interested in Yak-130 for India

arp2041

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
Yak-130-2.jpg

With the JSC IRKUT Corporation recently handing over an initial batch of six Yak-130 combat trainers to the Russian Air force, the company is weighing interest from India in the trainer that's being moulded into a light-weight fighter. The Russian contract signed in 2011 involves the delivery of 55 trainers to the Russian Air Force by 2015. On October 5, pilots of Borisoglebsk training center of the Russian Air Force ferried three Yak-130s from Irkutsk aviation plant to the Borisoglebsk base.

Oleg Demchenko, President of JSC IRKUT Corporation, noted: “Our Company will continue increasing the production rate of combat aircraft within the State defence order. Now, together with the Sukhoi Design Bureau we are testing new Su-30SM multirole fighters with pilot’s training functions. In 2012 IRKUT plans to transfer the first batch of aircraft this type to the Russian Ministry of Defence”.

Russian Defence Minister Anatoly Serdyukov, who was recently in Delhi, said, “Equipping the Air Force with Yak-130 aircraft allow achieving a desired level of pilot’s trainings to handle new generation combat fighters, which are to be mass procured by the Military Department.” It is not clear just where interest in the Yak-130 could possibly spring from in the Indian context.

Yak-130-3.jpg

It is well known that the Yak-130 aircraft was offered for an IAF requirement for jet trainers in 2008, but was rendered ineligible as it hadn't completed evaluation trials in Russia (the IAF subsequently decided to order more BAE Hawk Mk.132 advanced jet trainers). The Yak-130 has since completed all trials and is now full operational with the Russian Air Force.

According to a company spokesperson, "Yak-130 New generation Combat Trainer provides top-class pilots training to handle Russian and foreign-made combat aircraft of the “4+” and “5” generations. Currently IRKUT Corp. is working on improvements to Yakovlev Yak-130 combat jet trainer that may turn it into a light attack aircraft. The first stage of modernization includes the installation of an inflight refueling system and optronic pod. In the next stage, designers plan to equip the aircraft with radar. The radar installation will provide the Yak-130 with target detection for air-to-ground missiles."

He adds, "We hope that the IAF will be interested in the Yak-130 New generation Combat Trainer as well. The Yak-130 offer for the IAF will include license production as it was planned in 2008."

Yak-130-4.jpg

Russia interested in Yak 130 for India - SP's Aviation

This plane is ready to meet 'requirements, but is too late by a few years. The hawk is the AJT of the IAF, the yak 130 wont be inducted.

I think Indian Air force should have some of these trainers, as these could be used as training platform for trainees in advanced stages, after they had completed their training in BAE AJT's.

Also our AF inventory has 75% aircraft of Russian origin, so getting acquainted with Russian displays, HUDs and systems is always a good option for our young pilots!:tup:

:cry: WTH happen happened HAL plans of making HJT-36 , and HJT-39 :hitwall:

:cry: WTH happen happened HAL plans of making HJT-36 , and HJT-39 :hitwall:

HJT-36 Sitara is in development.

HJT-39 was considered before India placed the order for Hawks. Now that
we're building 100s of Hawks in India, I don't see any requirement for HJT-39 anymore.

But the HTT-40 BTT is well into development,,,HAL has recently issued a tender for
acquiring the needed turboprop engines for this BTT which along with the PC-7
will replace the HPT-32 in the Basic Turboprop Trainer role.

Some ~120 HTT-40s are needed.

I think Indian Air force should have some of these trainers, as these could be used as training platform for trainees in advanced stages, after they had completed their training in BAE AJT's.

Also our AF inventory has 75% aircraft of Russian origin, so getting acquainted with Russian displays, HUDs and systems is always a good option for our young pilots!:tup:

I really don't see any requirement for this jet in India, although I maybe wrong.

I think only if it can perform LIFT trainer duties well, IAF should buy it. Otherwise not.
Although I think a LIFT version of Tejas Mk-1 is the best bet.

I really don't see any requirement for this jet in India, although I maybe wrong.

I think only if it can perform LIFT trainer duties well, IAF should buy it. Otherwise not.
Although I think a LIFT version of Tejas Mk-1 is the best bet.

Was watching some pictures of cockpit's view of some modern aircraft, I felt russian system are not that digitalised and advanced but good enough as westerns counter-parts(which might be easy to use), this may be the reason for India to use some display related French components (Helmet Mounted Displays -HMDs from Thales) in MKIs

I may be wrong about my generalised view, maybe some experts could enlighten me

Was watching some pictures of cockpit's view of some modern aircraft, I felt russian system are not that digitalised and advanced but good enough as westerns counter-parts(which might be easy to use), this may be the reason for India to use some display related French components (Helmet Mounted Displays -HMDs from Thales) in MKIs

I may be wrong about my generalised view, maybe some experts could enlighten me

We had to replace all the Russian panels. Forget about buying generic Russian; we do glass cockpits on our own, very well. Their offer is much more.

Well by 2020 the figure of Russian-orign fitters in IAF service will have plummeted. And Anyway the MKI UPG (to Super Std) will involve a western/European HUD and I believe (IIRC) the HUD on he mig-29K and UPG is of Western orign too. But either way HUDs are pretty much standardised the world over and doesn't require the purchase of a brand new trainer just to teach this. Any differences between HUD/avionics will be ironed out in operational conversion training on the type they will to anyway. Additionally I don't think any filter in IAF service by 2020 will have Russian-origin display systems so that is a bit of a moot point!

@topic- a bit of a strange news item because AFAIK the IAF has no need for this new platforms when it is inducting HAWK AJTs in large numbers- the eventual number could touch 200. As it stands the IAF is yet largest or second largest operator of the Hawk- why throw the Yak into the mix?? The IAF's pilot training reforms are going excellent with new inductions, new training modules and new simulators the last missing piece is the IJT but with the basic and advanced stages being done properly the lack of the IJT is not a huge issue and can be easily overcome.

Russians are indeed a few years late we have already placed our orders, PC7 for basic training, Sitar for intermediate training & Hawk for Advanced training.

i dont see any space for YA130 in Indian airforce training.

I think,they are blocking our new trainer to get inducted. Worse at all,we depend on their engine for our trainer.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom