What's new

Russia snubs India; cancels navy, army war games

the russians stand to gain more from partnership with pakistan than with india.

this is clear from the shifting partnerships in asia that have occurred recently. money is only one aspect.

Stability, growth prospects, size are some of the others..

Roadrunner, we are a huge market for their goods. Please read an Economics book and come back

Roadrunner, we are a huge market for their goods. Please read an Economics book and come back

They can get India's large market anyway. Regardless of whether they are friendly or not.

For example, China and India are not friendly, but China still has a huge trade surplus with India.

They can get India's large market anyway. Regardless of whether they are friendly or not.

For example, China and India are not friendly, but China still has a huge trade surplus with India.

And what exact advantage this give to China ?

And what exact advantage this give to China ?

Well, having a trade surplus means that money is flowing into your country. Which is a good thing.

My point is that this argument below doesn't matter:

Since even India's rivals (like China) can already access India's large market. It doesn't give any leverage.

Well, having a trade surplus means that money is flowing into your country. Which is a good thing.

My point is that this argument below doesn't matter:

Since even India's rivals (like China) can already access India's large market. It doesn't give any leverage.

No, you are wrong ..China enjoys a huge market in Europe and US yet they are not withdrawing the arms embargo. Defense is another matter.

No, you are wrong ..China enjoys a huge market in Europe and US yet they are not withdrawing the arms embargo. Defense is another matter.

That's true, defence is another matter. I was talking about trade in general.

Russia seems to have made it's mind up though. They are snubbing India, and supporting Pakistan for SCO membership.

Stability, growth prospects, size are some of the others..

India's size is what makes its overall GDP higher. Its growth prospects dont really matter since Russian technology is more effective for developing countries. Stability isn't a guarantee of anything. For example, stable India refused the Russian MiG-35 deal when it seemed like the most likely choice.

Pakistan opens up more markets through its ports and is important for Russia's security. Those two alone make it a more useful ally than a transactional on and off one.

That's true, defence is another matter. I was talking about trade in general.

Russia seems to have made it's mind up though. They are snubbing India, and supporting Pakistan for SCO membership.

Actually it was 'we' made that offer and they are cornered..:)

CLICK..You will get a vague picture

Its clear that Russia now only sees India as a destination for its military products than a strategic ally. With the support for Pakistan, watch for Russia to start support Pakistan in any future India/Pakistan conflict. I wonder if India is smart enough to make strategic allies to ensure its security.

No need to worry India has entire west and other friendly countries which are to gain. It is surprising to see China is reaching to india while Russia is moving away :P .

Certainly not a Good sign for the relations which we share, Returning empty handed by a Fleet of Ours Prepared for a Naval Exercise, and reasoning there forces as Incompetent to hold an International Exercise due to there new Military Reforms, I simply do not buy it...

There must be Some Reason behind there sudden Shift in a Decade Long Tradition... Russia has always kept Things Close to itself... Lets wait and Watch what they have to come up with...

Its clear that Russia now only sees India as a destination for its military products than a strategic ally.

If that was true, we wouldn't be developing a 5th gen. fighter with them now would we? Not to mention all the other deals in the pipeline, i.e missiles, nuclear plants, destroyers, ~180 Su-30's, ~60 Mig 29's etc etc.

With the support for Pakistan, watch for Russia to start support Pakistan in any future India/Pakistan conflict. I wonder if India is smart enough to make strategic allies to ensure its security.

The problem here is you aren't looking at the big picture. Assuming India only maintained lukewarm relations with the Russians, they would still risk losing billions of dollars simply by arming Pakistan. India's defense budget stands close to $40 billion compared to a mere $6 billion in Pakistan. Furthermore, India plans on spending ~100 billion over the next decade (in addition to its existing budget) to modernize its armed forces. All things equal, Russia would still think twice before selling high end military equipment to Pakistan.

Now put things in perspective. Pakistan is close to a state of civil war. Their economy is in shambles and their intl' image is at an all time low. India's economic outlook is well understood around here, so I won't get into it, but from Russia's perspective it just makes economic sense not to play the 'P-card'. Of course, a country of 180 billion can't be ignored, but seeing some of members on here jumping for joy thinking this is Pakistan's big chance is rather naive. Economic, symbolic diplomatic relations, yes. Military hardware? lol. Half the folks on here were gloating about how Pakistan 'defeated' the Soviet Union just yesterday. Even Iran is still sitting around waiting for its S300's.

Certainly not a Good sign for the relations which we share, Returning empty handed by a Fleet of Ours Prepared for a Naval Exercise, and reasoning there forces as Incompetent to hold an International Exercise due to there new Military Reforms, I simply do not buy it...

There must be Some Reason behind there sudden Shift in a Decade Long Tradition... Russia has always kept Things Close to itself... Lets wait and Watch what they have to come up with...

Fits over the MRCA I assume. They've got too much to gain so it won't be long.

Fits over the MRCA I assume. They've got too much to gain so it won't be long.

No, They have a larger problem with there Economy and reforms.... They could have informed it prior to any decision India had Made, I do not think International Diplomacy works on a mere Shift in deals... It was a Global Tender, and Its a Well Understood fact that the vendor which meet our Criterias would be opted and Its not a Global Wonder that India Dismissed both Russian and US Fighter Aircraft's.

Soviets Invented the word "Know How" for a reason which is yet to be understood ...

Back
Top Bottom