MilSpec

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
Published December 23, 2013
Associated Press
  • Obit%20Kalashnik%20dec%2023.JPG

July 26, 2002 - FILE photo of Russian weapon designer Mikhail Kalashnikov presenting his legendary assault rifle to the media while opening the exhibition "Kalashnikov - legend and curse of a weapon" at a weapons museum in Suhl, Germany. Kalashnikov died at the age of 94. (AP)
MOSCOW – Mikhail Kalashnikov, whose work as a weapons designer for the Soviet Union is immortalized in the name of the world's most popular firearm, has died at the age of 94.

The AK-47 — "Avtomat Kalashnikov" and the year it went into production — is favored by guerrillas, terrorists and the soldiers of many armies. An estimated 100 million guns are spread worldwide.

He died Monday in a hospital in Izhevsk, the capital of the Udmurtia republic where he lived, said Viktor Chulkov, a spokesman for the republic's president.

Kalashnikov often said he felt personally untroubled by his contribution to bloodshed.

"I sleep well. It's the politicians who are to blame for failing to come to an agreement and resorting to violence," he said in 2007.

Farewell to one of the most influential figures in Human History

The Man was an Institution by himself. What a legendary Figure.... :tup:

In the Cold War Era,

M-16 was for the democratic nations
AK-47 was for communist nations

Rest in peace

Also correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the STG44 have an almost identical design to the early AK47s?
mp44_shop2_wwii.jpg

Though that would infuriate every single german in Germany , they claim that they only look similar , and that was mikhael's trick to scare americans , and that their mechanisms are totally different , that the stg44's thing would go back and forth every time it fires like a modern AUG BAR

Also correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the STG44 have an almost identical design to the early AK47s?
mp44_shop2_wwii.jpg
Yes and No, i guess

It might be similar, but there are some stark differences, for example, the tillting bolt on the stg compared to the closed rotating bold in the AK. The rifle was chambered for different cartridge, although case pressure is not that different, but it plays a major role in the auto fire mode. Then there is the stark layout and ergo similarity with SKS, and the safety sear is similar to Browinings Model 8.

Then the russians weren't oblivious to automatic firearms, they had thier own line of PPSH sub machine guns, And yes it is true that klashnikov was no John Browining, but what he created has left a mark on this planet no other individual can ever replicate.

Kudos to klashnikov

- Proud owner of a AKM

Yes and No, i guess
Thank you for the write up, good reading. But I'm just playing devils advocate here and saying the Russians did capture thousands of Stg's also the Stg is credited as being the first real "Assault Rifle" of it's time... Who knows, anyway I am sure everyone from the FARC through to the Jihadi's thank Mikhail for his efforts... :P

With this man finally died the twentieth century, in all its intolerable splendor and unspeakable horror.
I just thank God that He has extended the life of Mikhail Kalashnikov and he was able to see a new sunrise of Motherland. It would be very sad if he died in 1993 or 1998, forgotten by all, in destroyed and humiliated Russia...

With this man finally died the twentieth century, in all its intolerable splendor and unspeakable horror.
I just thank God that He has extended the life of Mikhail Kalashnikov and he was able to see a new sunrise of Motherland. It would be very sad if he died in 1993 or 1998, forgotten by all, in destroyed and humiliated Russia...

True , heroes come and die , I can imagine if the queen of Britain died today , many in Europe will abandon their old mothers.

Thank you for the write up, good reading. But I'm just playing devils advocate here and saying the Russians did capture thousands of Stg's also the Stg is credited as being the first real "Assault Rifle" of it's time... Who knows, anyway I am sure everyone from the FARC through to the Jihadi's thank Mikhail for his efforts... :P

i am an engineer, When I was tasked with conceptualization of certain design, i looked at everything from competitions to the pulley assemblies in the gym for inspiration, STG is a fine weapon to be inspired from. No one should be offended even if the russian design was inspired from a german one....

Off topic, but your avatar cracks me up :D

My reply:
I'm an ostrich - The Meta Picture

click on the link, posting it on this thread would be in appropriate..... :)

Back
Top Bottom