What's new

Samtel India breaks Japanese monopoly in avionics products

indopak5

New Recruit

Reaction score
New Delhi: Breaking the Japanese monopoly in the World for Electronic Flight Instrument System (EFIS), Samtel Display Systems (SDS), a key Indian player in high-technology products for commercial and military avionics applications, is replacing Sony as the single source in the World.

The company would be inking a deal with the US based electronics major Honeywell for manufacturing EFIS in India.

Talking to FE, Puneet Kaura, executive director, Samtel Display Systems, said that, “Our company is developing an EFIS with Honeywell, for its Bendix/King family of avionics. Although, Japanese major Sony is currently its sole manufacturer, Samtel will replace Sony as the single source in the World for EFIS. This will also be the first time that the EFIS will be manufactured in India.’’

The EFIS40 CRT (cathode ray tube) will be developed at Samtel’s AS9100 certified production facilities in India and is compatible with a wide range of avionics systems and also meets the FAA HIRF requirements, Kaura said.

EFIS40, with a 4”x4” screen is a compact, high-performance system developed specifically for aircraft accommodating 4-inch instruments. Being developed by Honeywell and Samtel, it is designed with analog and digital interfaces, and shows bright, clear displays in easy-to-read, easy-to-understand formats, explained company officials.

“As the Indian aerospace industry embarks on an intensive modernisation campaign, SDS is ready to provide perfect solutions and partnerships for all avionics requirements and we hope to continue to help India in developing a strengthened aerospace industry and foster an environment in which transatlantic and other industrial partnerships can focus on delivering the most advanced systems in the most cost effective manner,” he said.

Poised to become the offset partner for all avionics display system integrators around the world as it capitalises on its strong experience spanning decades, tested relationships with its joint venture partners, the company is now in a joint venture with Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL), for the development of multifunctional display systems for fighter aircraft such as the Sukhoi (Su-30 MKI) and the Tejas Light Combat Aircraft (LCA).

The company is also working in close association with the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) for developing an LCD-based head-down display for the Indian Air Force’s (IAF) frontline Sukhoi Su-30MKI combat jets. :victory:

Some Info on EFIS:
Electronic Flight Instrument System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pictures of EFIS:
File:Airbus A380 cockpit.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
File:Eclipse-N503EA-060825-32-16.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
File:Da42cockpit.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

All the SU-30MKI and Tejas, HUD,MFD's etc etc were developed by Samtel. FULL color MFD's are their latest Product(LCD based):yahoo:

we have been building such crap since the 90s.

:disagree:

Correct. Chinese products (non military) has a reputation for being cheap "crap" globally. Hopefully your military products are better than your toys and electronics. Indian products on the other hand have the reputation of never being delivered on time. I hope that the same doesn't apply to its military. :rofl:

Correct. Chinese products (non military) has a reputation for being cheap "crap" globally. Hopefully your military products are better than your toys and electronics. Indian products on the other hand have the reputation of never being delivered on time. I hope that the same doesn't apply to its military. :rofl:

It is known there is a sizable Indian population in South Africa. Let's not try to deceive other members, shall we 'friend'?!

:flame:

India (and desis) leverage the common people's lack of knowledge and insight about India and Indians to OVER-EXAGGERATE India's capabilities, to "pull-a-fast-one-over-foreigners", and thus gain advantage. Unfortunately for them, more and more foreigners are uncovering the lies and half-lies. The truth is..... the myth of their "super-brains"..... the fantasy of their industry mastery.... cooked up religious fanatics.... bharat dictatorship over unwilling serfdoms.... their un-mighty military..... the IT revolution that never was..... hundreds of millions of Dalits, minorities, poor suffering.....

Decades ago, I too gave them too much benefit-of-the-doubt. It wasn't until I witnessed with my own eyes, and my fascination about their unique culture and 'business-style' increased dramatically. From then I have become a huge expert on India, Indian industry and capabilities (or lack of), and their psychological mentality.

Take this one small example. Tata and Reliance Industries are the two largest conglomerates in India, with Tata being the larger of the too. Yet what Tata can boast about is limited to: oil refining, junk autos ("their" heavy-trucks is Korea's Daewoo), tea (bought British Tetley), 'body-shopper' TCS, miscellaneous stuff, and a digitial wristwatch. And I seriously doubt they even have the domestic capability to manufacture a wristwatch, much less design one. If India cannot even domestically produce something as simple as a cheap digital wristwatch you see selling at Walmart, then how do you expect anything more advance from them?

Last edited:
Well,you dont have to EXPECT,my friend!....we will be more than happy to surprise you like this,in future too.....expect the unexpected ,dear.......back to topic,when will these be put into mass production?

It is known there is a sizable Indian population in South Africa. Let's not try to deceive other members, shall we 'friend'?!

:flame:

I am not Indian "friend". Calling me an Indian would be tantamount to calling you a Norwegian . I have never been on the Asian sub-continent of India, China or Pakistan and neither have 6 generations of my forefathers. For your information tho one of my 7th generation forebears hailed from some Pushtan place near Afghanistan while her husband hailed from Germany. Hardly makes me an Indian unless the global titles have been changed in your country and you have failed to inform the rest of the world? You are the second person who ignorantly made that assertion and hence my detailed attempt to educate you. I hope that clears the air about my nationality and my allegiance which is South African and nothing more or less. My condescending remarks about Indian and Chinese products relates to my experience and the general perception of these products in my stay at SA and the UK and the USA. If it offends you , then speak to your mass producing factories to sort it out. Don't be unnecessary defensive. This forum invites constructive criticism and dialogue. I appreciate that in your country those may be taboo words but heck don't take it personally if I am purely adding my 2 cents worth to a forum which invited me to do so. :azn:

India (and desis) leverage the common people's lack of knowledge and insight about India and Indians, to "pull-a-fast-one-over-them", and thus gain advantage. Decades ago, I too gave them too much benefit-of-the-doubt. It wasn't until I witnessed with my own eyes, and my fascination about their unique culture and 'business-style' increased dramatically. From then I have become a huge expert on India, Indian industry and capabilities (or lack of), and their psychological mentality.

Take this one small example. Tata and Reliance Industries are the two largest conglomerates in India, with Tata being the larger of the too. Yet what Tata can boast about is limited to: oil refining, junk autos ("their" heavy-trucks is Korea's Daewoo), tea (bought British Tetley), 'body-shopper' TCS, miscellaneous stuff, and a digitial wristwatch. And I seriously doubt they even have the domestic capability to manufacture a wristwatch, much less design one. If India cannot even domestically produce something as simple as a cheap digital wristwatch you see selling at Walmart, then how do you expect anything more advance from them?

when you tend to generalize a nation you tend to be wrong 100 out of 100 times.

TATA trucks and buses have got nothing to do with Daewoo...they have been manufacturing trucks and buses with their logo for decades and are serving in at least three continents...the Daewoo acquisition was a recent one.
TATA tea has been a tea brand for 40 years now...by the recent acquisition of tetley...TATA tea has become the second larget tea manufacturing company after the Lever brothers corp.
'body-shopper TCS?what do you mean by that?
btw TCS is the among the top 10 most successful It firms in the world...and is the largest IT company in Asia...

and it was funny when you rounded almost a hundred different products including their steel manufacturing unit which happens to be the world's sixth largest steel manufacturing company...
and the CRL(computer research laboratory) that is behind the development of the world's 4th fastest super computer
and the TATA chemicals which has presence in four different continents...
frankly dude...you sounded a tad bit prejudiced in your post.

Well,you dont have to EXPECT,my friend!....we will be more than happy to surprise you like this,in future too.....expect the unexpected ,dear.......back to topic,when will these be put into mass production?
These are already in production.:cheers:

when you tend to generalize a nation you tend to be wrong 100 out of 100 times.
Let me address your concerns, one-by-one:

TATA trucks and buses have got nothing to do with Daewoo...they have been manufacturing trucks and buses with their logo for decades and are serving in at least three continents...the Daewoo acquisition was a recent one.

Tata has benefited from a government policy that gives them a virtual monopoly in India since India's independence. It was not until India's opening-up policy where foreign manufacturers were allowed limited access. Almost instantly likes of Suzuki, Yamaha, Honda, Toyota, Mitsubishi grabbed market share. Fearing for discriminatory tariffs (like those they faced in US), Japanese (and later Korean) car markers were coerced into settling up domestic assembly plants.

The reason for Tata Motors weak sales have always been their poor quality, unrealiability, difficult to service/repair/find parts, and their decades old designs. Tata Motors to date have yet to master the large-capacity engines required to power large semis. Note, "semis" and other super-large trucks are in a different class from your everyday half-ton trucks. This is where Daewoo Trucks provides the manufacturing expertise, but the knowledge is still within the Korean engineers and the factory is still in Korea.

And the most recent major addition was Jaguar Land-Rover, which as late has proven that the Europeans also enjoy taking advantage of others. JLR is bleeding over 500+ million each fiscal year, and it is getting worse. Any attempts at massive layoffs are being heavily dealt with by trade unions AND individual governments. So basically, the Europeans are bleeding Indians dry (again). Be careful of WHOM you do business with....

TATA tea has been a tea brand for 40 years now...by the recent acquisition of tetley...TATA tea has become the second larget tea manufacturing company after the Lever brothers corp.

Yes, Tata does have a tea brand for 40+ years. And my point is so what! Is it really that difficult to plant and harvest tea leaves?

'body-shopper TCS?what do you mean by that?
btw TCS is the among the top 10 most successful It firms in the world...and is the largest IT company in Asia...

Does any Indian firm, even desi-based ones have ANY notable product (much less one that works and is used by people)? NO. Let's not get all euphoria over call centers and re-branding them as IT or ITES.

and it was funny when you rounded almost a hundred different products including their steel manufacturing unit which happens to be the world's sixth largest steel manufacturing company...

Tata Steel is also bleeding hundreds of millions of dollars a year. It is being forced to adopt mandatory un-paid holidays, shut down plants for months out of the year, and massive layoffs around the globe.

and the CRL(computer research laboratory) that is behind the development of the world's 4th fastest super computer

CRL never developed any super-computer, much less the 4th fastest. CRL purchased an HP-designed super-computer, that uses Intel processors and Chinese components.

and the TATA chemicals which has presence in four different continents...

I have already included this in Oil refinery products.

frankly dude...you sounded a tad bit prejudiced in your post.

Are there still any concerns outstanding? :coffee:

India (and desis) leverage the common people's lack of knowledge and insight about India and Indians to OVER-EXAGGERATE India's capabilities, to "pull-a-fast-one-over-foreigners", and thus gain advantage. Unfortunately for them, more and more foreigners are uncovering the lies and half-lies. The truth is..... the myth of their "super-brains"..... the fantasy of their industry mastery.... cooked up religious fanatics.... bharat dictatorship over unwilling serfdoms.... their un-mighty military..... the IT revolution that never was..... hundreds of millions of Dalits, minorities, poor suffering.....

Decades ago, I too gave them too much benefit-of-the-doubt. It wasn't until I witnessed with my own eyes, and my fascination about their unique culture and 'business-style' increased dramatically. From then I have become a huge expert on India, Indian industry and capabilities (or lack of), and their psychological mentality.

sir, your ignorance is commendable.. i mean sir.. how is it possible that you are so ignorant.. writing :blah: with such confidence(not even looking up Wikipedia)???

just to give you a few pointers on that tata watch
Time Products Division | Titan Corporate

and among others.. kindly refer to the wikipedia page as wel...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tata_Group
Tata group is not only a behemoth in terms of its size it also manufacture any and evrything... from chemicals to tea to trucks... *manufactures*

Last edited:
Let me address your concerns, one-by-one:

Tata has benefited from a government policy that gives them a virtual monopoly in India since India's independence. It was not until India's opening-up policy where foreign manufacturers were allowed limited access. Almost instantly likes of Suzuki, Yamaha, Honda, Toyota, Mitsubishi grabbed market share. Fearing for discriminatory tariffs (like those they faced in US), Japanese (and later Korean) car markers were coerced into settling up domestic assembly plants.

The reason for Tata Motors weak sales have always been their poor quality, unrealiability, difficult to service/repair/find parts, and their decades old designs. Tata Motors to date have yet to master the large-capacity engines required to power large semis. Note, "semis" and other super-large trucks are in a different class from your everyday half-ton trucks. This is where Daewoo Trucks provides the manufacturing expertise, but the knowledge is still within the Korean engineers and the factory is still in Korea.

And the most recent major addition was Jaguar Land-Rover, which as late has proven that the Europeans also enjoy taking advantage of others. JLR is bleeding over 500+ million each fiscal year, and it is getting worse. Any attempts at massive layoffs are being heavily dealt with by trade unions AND individual governments. So basically, the Europeans are bleeding Indians dry (again). Be careful of WHOM you do business with....

Yes, Tata does have a tea brand for 40+ years. And my point is so what! Is it really that difficult to plant and harvest tea leaves?

Does any Indian firm, even desi-based ones have ANY notable product (much less one that works and is used by people)? NO. Let's not get all euphoria over call centers and re-branding them as IT or ITES.

Tata Steel is also bleeding hundreds of millions of dollars a year. It is being forced to adopt mandatory un-paid holidays, shut down plants for months out of the year, and massive layoffs around the globe.

CRL never developed any super-computer, much less the 4th fastest. CRL purchased an HP-designed super-computer, that uses Intel processors and Chinese components.

I have already included this in Oil refinery products.

Are there still any concerns outstanding? :coffee:

Sir, your pointwise dissection of fact in to fantasy was totally enjoyable read. thank you!
It seems tata group is going to shut down anywhere in near future...
Bad news for them... :rofl:

on a more serious note...
sir only one thing... Tata's dont require any certificate from you of their success... you must reflect on what you are saying... Tata's are a company more than 120 years old... it existed before even your and my father were born... it did not hav any subsidy then... it has survived... and is was and shall remain a beacon of india's shining industrial growth:victory:

nice signature bro......:toast_sign:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom