What's new

Saudi Arabia allows women to ride bikes, sort of

Edevelop

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
the kingdom's religious police are now allowing women to ride motorbikes and bicycles but only in restricted, recreational areas.

The Al-Yawm daily on Monday cited an unnamed official from the powerful religious police as saying women can ride bikes in parks and recreational areas but they have to be accompanied by a male relative and dressed in the full Islamic head-to-toe abaya.

Saudi Arabia follows an ultraconservative interpretation of Islam and bans women from driving. Women are also banned from riding motorcycles or bicycles in public places. The newspaper didn't say what triggered the lifting of the ban.

The official says women may not use the bikes for transportation but "only for entertainment" and that they should shun places where young men gather "to avoid harassment."

Saudi Arabia allows women to ride bikes, sort of - CBS News

i sure hope the bicycles there have chain guards because an abaya getting caught between the gear and the chain could prove to be quite injurious to the health and well-being

I wonder if they can ride bikes alone or they need to be accompanied with a male member from the family.

Joking aside well, It's positive but honestly a very small move .

Dr. Jaafari have couple good news for you :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok heres the deal. Its their choice what they do.

But do not interfere in other countries. Do not sponsor groups who claim to bring Islam and then destroy a country.

That last prophet wasn't enough to change the Arabian peoples?

These people will never change their mentality...

Sad that same western countries who tout democracy & freedom are supporting these Wahabbi regimes because of oil
Hypocrites.

That last prophet wasn't enough to change the Arabian peoples?

These people will never change their mentality...

Sad that same western countries who tout democracy & freedom are supporting these Wahabbi regimes because of oil
Hypocrites.
In that case, everybody is a hypocrite. You have no control over how a country produces its leadership. If you are a devout Muslim, then YOU are a hypocrite for dealing with non-Muslims.

Welcome Saudi Arabia to 20th century!!! Another century to go!!! :woot:
The bicycle came about mid 1800s, so it is the 19th century for the Saudis. But hey...!!! Little progress is better than no progress at all.

now that they have practiced in recreational area, should be allowed on public roads too.

Congrats to the one of the worlds most culturally backwards state in the world.

I can't comment, women are still treated like chattel in my country!

Back
Top Bottom