What's new

Saudi Arabia in talks to lease Pak farmland

I think it will be a great decision .. the ppls criticizing here dont even have knowledge of agriculture. as my family belongs to rural area of sindh and my father have agriculture land dats y i know how beneficial it will be for pak.
see first by leasing or sellin 500000 acres pakistan will get approximatly 4-5 billion dollars as current price of land per acre in pak is about 5-6 lakhs for locals so to saudi they should atleast sell at 7-8 lakhs which will give abt 4.5 to 5 billion dollars and second they will also be giving operational cost to pak every year which will be a gud foreign exchange and in exchange pak will use its urea and pesticides and water and an other thing is that in current system of pak the yeild of crops is divided half to land owner and half to farmer so it means saudi will give price equivalent to half of the yield as it belong to farmer so in total they will just get the final product and they will still pay atleast 65% of the price of that product . on other hand it will provide job oppertunities as more farmers will be getting land to cultivate and also they will establish R&D to increase the output of crops which currently pakistan dont have and they are getting much lower output from best agriculture land they have.

If you haven't noticed, Pakistan's population is now 180 million which was just 165 million seven years ago.

Our population is growing fast and many live in agriculture land. What will happen when we keep selling acres of fertile agricultural land to the Saudis and our population becomes more than 200 million in the next 20 years?

Saudi Arabia's population is 27.6 million, and its size is approximately 2,150,000 square kilometres (830,000 sq mi) while Pakistan's population is 180 million, and its size is 881,912 square kilometeres (340,508 sq mi) (which includes Azad Kashmir).

Can we afford to sell acres of our fertile land when our own population is growing so rapidly in a country less than half the size of Saudi Arabia?

Last edited:
Well Saudi Arabia is the holy land after all.

What's the harm in having a chunk of holy soil in Pakistan?

Well, if Pakistan does this it will be introducing the mother of all "feudal" lords into controlling the land. If SA wants to invest in Pakistani agricultural co-operatives or to financially participate in the improvement of pakistan farm yilds, etc., that would be good. If Pakistan wants to consider this, and that is a very big IF, you should propose leasing some of SA oil field land in a "barter" agreement. Pakistan gets to lease oil reserves in exchange for SA getting leased food production.

Well, if Pakistan does this it will be introducing the mother of all "feudal" lords into controlling the land. If SA wants to invest in Pakistani agricultural co-operatives or to financially participate in the improvement of pakistan farm yilds, etc., that would be good. If Pakistan wants to consider this, and that is a very big IF, you should propose leasing some of SA oil field land in a "barter" agreement. Pakistan gets to lease oil reserves in exchange for SA getting leased food production.

If US wants a five-star hotel as the new embassy, why can't Saudi Arabians have a top secret agriculture project in Pakistan? :cheesy:

This is ridiculous..the country is up for grabs for highest bidder.

There is some thing very fishy about this deal As house of saud can buy what ever they want in the open MArkets(means they must buy all there Goods from MAsters)why are the all off sudden intrested in pakistani soil ?

I think it will be a great decision .. the ppls criticizing here dont even have knowledge of agriculture. as my family belongs to rural area of sindh and my father have agriculture land dats y i know how beneficial it will be for pak.
see first by leasing or sellin 500000 acres pakistan will get approximatly 4-5 billion dollars as current price of land per acre in pak is about 5-6 lakhs for locals so to saudi they should atleast sell at 7-8 lakhs which will give abt 4.5 to 5 billion dollars and second they will also be giving operational cost to pak every year which will be a gud foreign exchange and in exchange pak will use its urea and pesticides and water and an other thing is that in current system of pak the yeild of crops is divided half to land owner and half to farmer so it means saudi will give price equivalent to half of the yield as it belong to farmer so in total they will just get the final product and they will still pay atleast 65% of the price of that product . on other hand it will provide job oppertunities as more farmers will be getting land to cultivate and also they will establish R&D to increase the output of crops which currently pakistan dont have and they are getting much lower output from best agriculture land they have.

i have again posted this because i think no one read that befoe .. and that is the problem with pakistan everyone want to impose wht he thinks is right no one understand the agriculture system and that how this agreement might work but every one is just watching it as sale of agriculture land .

in other case we can see it as export of wheat of vegetables because we r still getting abt 65% price of it

Actually hum loog hi Halat bohat zada phatichaar ho chuki hai, thanks to Zardari. So there is no option left except renting our land etc. I don't know what will be the next step to loan what?

renting land is not bad but sellin is by renting u r atleast sure that saudi will only get pakistani wheat otherwise they can export fom any country

See first by leasing or sellin 500000 acres pakistan will get approximatly 4-5 billion dollars as current price of land per acre in pak is about 5-6 lakhs for locals so to saudi they should atleast sell at 7-8 lakhs which will give abt 4.5 to 5 billion dollars.

My friend, the person who is ready to compromise security of Pakistan because of his kick-backs, would you think those 4-5 Bullion dollars would go to favor of countrymen? In Zardari's time, please notice every deal we are doing is of extremely high budgets. We have initiated Dams, Accepted Iran-Paksitan-India Pipeline project on the cost we were never ready to accept, the Power Projects, the Lending of Land and all that. When ZarDar are sitting on the doors of Zar, they only want ZarDar people to be more Zardar and not you and me.

Your plan is good but come-over some better time in future. For now, don't give your ZarDar people an opportunity to thank you for your favored thinking.

i have again posted this because i think no one read that befoe .. and that is the problem with pakistan everyone want to impose wht he thinks is right no one understand the agriculture system and that how this agreement might work but every one is just watching it as sale of agriculture land .

( i think no one read that befoe .. and that is the problem with pakistan everyone want to impose wht he thinks is right )
You are right people dont read any thing here (I answered your question and i asked you one)

But as i see you are some one from a Agricultural Back ground but i forget to see how selling your country has any thing to do with Agricultural.
Second IF saudies want the agricultural products bad enough why lease the land why not just buy it from GOP wouldnt that benefit more people like you.
AND dont talk about R&D last i checked they have perfected how to bend over and thats about the end of there reaserch.

if managed properly without kickbacks it may be very beneficial

Maybe i am just getting too cynical but that was my first thought. Getting a kick back from a farmer selling a bag of wheat is pretty hard. Getting a nice fat bag riyals during a billion dollar landlease would be fairly easy.

If Saudi wants more wheat, they could supply aid to teach farmers modern techniques and supply discount fertiliser in exchange for a contract for a % of the crop.

I think of the conditions pakistani's live in when working in arab countries doing construction work and wonder how the farmers working saudi land in pakistan will be treated?

Back
Top Bottom