What's new

SC strikes down Haj subsidy

Actually this was more of an Air India subsidy which some in India used as proof of minority appeasement. Air India would jack up prices 3-4times and then get paid subsidy on this while other commercial airliners would do the same at much less price.

In any case, Muslims in India have been demanding this be removed for a long time and the ministry of minority affairs in 2010 has already declared that the subsidy will be phased out by 2017 because it was against the teachings of Islam to take financial help from others if you can't afford to go to Haj yourself.

The SC is now saying 10 more years but I hope it gets done as per the UPAII's plan to phase it out by 2017 and use the money instead to build schools and colleges in areas of low literacy .

Haj subsidy - PhaseoutWikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Well If that is the case, then why so many applying for Haj subsidy.

Actually this was more of an Air India subsidy which some in India used as proof of minority appeasement. Air India would jack up prices 3-4times and then get paid subsidy on this while other commercial airliners would do the same at much less price.

In any case, Muslims in India have been demanding this be removed for a long time and the ministry of minority affairs in 2010 has already declared that the subsidy will be phased out by 2017 because it was against the teachings of Islam to take financial help from others if you can't afford to go to Haj yourself.

The SC is now saying 10 more years but I hope it gets done as per the UPAII's plan to phase it out by 2017 and use the money instead to build schools and colleges in areas of low literacy .

You don't get a "Choice" of Haj subsidy. The govt. allocates around 120,000 visas through the subsidy route and the rest to Private tour operators without subsidy. Until last year, only Air India was allowed and mandated by the govt. to fly pilgrims. There was no other choice. The subsidy ended up being a type of bailout money for Air India

Muslims have been demanding that the GoI get rid of the subsidy and allow a global tender where all airlines are allowed to put their lowest bid forward. And based on the cost charge the pilgrims as per that.

Technically all subsidies are appeasement. Why does India have food subsidies in one city, not the other? Everything should be slashed.

Are u out of ur mind??? Food subsidies are good for poor ppl. Not all Indian are rich as you. Look at south Indian state where Public distributuion system is good..

Food is basic for life, Pilgrimage is not. As our Judiciary has defined if Haram, lets respect it.

Subsidies are not a problem.. The basis on which subsidies are given are one though.. IN a secular country, Religion should not be the basis of any subsidies.. Hence the SC stand

Education subsidiary to Muslim would again mean the same thing right? Secularism has nothing to do with it. The issue was raised by Muslims to divert funds to better causes of Muslims.

Are u out of ur mind??? Food subsidies are good for poor ppl. Not all Indian are rich as you. Look at south Indian state where Public distributuion system is good..

Food is basic for life, Pilgrimage is not. As our Judiciary has defined if Haram, lets respect it.

Not all subsidiaries are for basic life. There is also a matter of quality of life. Pilgrimage has its benefits towards that. Normally people who do Haj return reformed and try not to do any bad things in life. For some this lasts a lifetime, for most at least a year.

Again if they spend less on Haj, they will have more to spend on food.

I think Air India charges more because of Saudi Arabian policy which states planes coming to KSA with Indian pilgrimage have to unload and go back empty.

I think Air India charges more because of Saudi Arabian policy which states planes coming to KSA with Indian pilgrimage have to unload and go back empty.

I heard they are not even allowed to take back cargo.

That is not precisely the case. Saudi Arabia has a separate Hajj Terminal, so before Hajj it operates only in arrival mode. After Haj it operates only in departure mode.

There won't be any departure passengers at the Haj Terminal before Hajj.

atleast it would be beneficial for muslim community if the money is spent on their education, healthcare etc instead of being virtually wasted by giving subsidy on pilgrame

That would be the choice of Indian Government if they were truly interested in improving the lot of the Muslim minority. The Hajj subsidy was a shameless effort to use the vote bank of Muslims. I never understood the Muslims who took this subsidy to go for Hajj. The idea of Hajj is for muslims to use their resources to go to Mecca in order to please Allah. If the Govt of India is footing the bill then the Sawaab goes to the Govt. of India not to the Individual.

Zeenews Bureau

New Delhi: In a major setback to the Centre, the Supreme Court on Tuesday turned down its policy of giving government subsidy to Muslims going on annual Haj pilgrimage.

"We hold that this policy (giving subsidies to Haj pilgrims) is best done away with," the apex court said, while slamming the Centre for politicising the issue of annual Haj pilgrimage.

The apex court, while directing the Centre to eliminate the policy of Haj subsidies over a period of ten years, maintained that the proposal of giving subsidy on pilgrimages to religious shrines is inappropriate and aimed at wooing minorities.

The apex court further stated that it will examine the functioning of the Haj Committee of India and its selection process for sending pilgrims for Haj.

Coming down heavily on the Central government, the apex court also ordered it to slash the number of its representatives to be sent along with Haj delegations.

The Supreme court ruling comes nearly a fortnight after the Centre informed it about its decision to restrict Haj pilgrimage at government subsidy to Muslims only as a "once-in-a-lifetime" affair as against the existing policy of "once in five years".

In an affidavit filed before the apex court, the government said the new guidelines have been framed to ensure that priority is given to those applicants who have never performed Haj.

"This is a major change introduced for the first time. This will ensure that the Haji will benefit from government subsidy only once in his/her lifetime. It will also ensure that priority is given to those applicants who have never performed Haj," the Centre then said.

The government, however, refrained from disclosing the amount of subsidy being incurred by it for 2012 saying, "The exact figure in respect of the travel subsidy to the pilgrims going through Haj Committee of India for 2012 will be known after the Hajis completed their Haj journey and return to India."

In its submission, the centre maintained that priority will be given to those who are in the 70 plus category and those who had unsuccessfully applied thrice earlier for the subsidy. The Centre's affidavit came in the backdrop of certain searching questions raised by the apex court on February 24.

A Bench of Justices Aftab Alam and Ranjana Prakash Desai had directed the Centre to provide details of subsidy given by it and criteria adopted for allocation of seats to state committees.

The apex court frowned at the practice of sending official delegations to accompany the pilgrims and had asked the Centre to furnish entire details regarding Haj subsidy, as also to the criteria adopted.

The apex court was hearing an appeal filed by the Centre challenging a Bombay High Court judgement which had directed the Ministry of External Affairs to allow certain private operators to operate the services of 800 of the 11,000 pilgrims earmarked under the VIP quota subsidised by the government.

Earlier, the bench had pulled up the Centre's practice of "politicising" the annual Haj pilgrimage by permitting official delegations to accompany the pilgrims, for which the government offers huge subsidy, saying, "It's a bad religious practice."

With PTI Inputs

Good news. But couple of questions.

Why does SC want to provide the govt. 10 years to get rid of the subsidy?

Why doesn't SC question the govt. when govt is saying it will know how much it spent on subsidy only after the end of the completion of journey? Isn't there a term called "budget" ?

Education subsidiary to Muslim would again mean the same thing right? Secularism has nothing to do with it. The issue was raised by Muslims to divert funds to better causes of Muslims.

Not all subsidiaries are for basic life. There is also a matter of quality of life. Pilgrimage has its benefits towards that. Normally people who do Haj return reformed and try not to do any bad things in life. For some this lasts a lifetime, for most at least a year.

Indian Muslims are wise ppl. They know good and bad of them. I think Indian Muslims are against this Subsidy. My reply was on your old post where you put all subsidy in one basket. Haz and food subsidy is entirely Different things, don't try to paint it with same brush.

If you understand Welfare nation concept (which India is) then you must know that Budget deficit and subsidies are part of it. Hope it will give u clear idea...

I agree with your point, quality life is important, But empty stomach there is no quality in life. Pilgrimage is entirely personal matter Govt must not pay for it. Don't think this as anti Muslim policy, as it is not.

Indian Muslims are wise ppl. They know good and bad of them. I think Indian Muslims are against this Subsidy. My reply was on your old post where you put all subsidy in one basket. Haz and food subsidy is entirely Different things, don't try to paint it with same brush.

If you understand Welfare nation concept (which India is) then you must know that Budget deficit and subsidies are part of it. Hope it will give u clear idea...

I agree with your point, quality life is important, But empty stomach there is no quality in life. Pilgrimage is entirely personal matter Govt must not pay for it. Don't think this as anti Muslim policy, as it is not.

It isn't like it is going to be eliminated today itself. It will be a gradual process taking 10 years, and even after thant support will be provided through 3rd party organisations for the poorest...

And the same tender is done at close to half the price by other airlines following the same policy of using planes specifically for pilgrims i.e. return empty in the first phase and go to KSA empty in the 2nd phase.

Even keeping that in mind, Air India prices were almost double to what the tender received by other airlines in 2011. And I am sure they were making a profit as well. From the top of my head it was around INR 42,000 for Air India and the private airlines that won the tender charges INR 22,000.

If PTOs can get these fares, then when ALL pilgrims travel through a single global tender, then the volumes means that the fare can be lower than INR 20-22,000.

At present, the "Subsidised pilgrims" paid approximate INR 16,000 and the difference between the INR 42,000 and the "subsidised pilgrim" air fare is the subsidy that is paid to Air India. Even if the fares don't come down another 4000 - 6000 INR is no big deal.

Religion should be kept out of administration. And should strictly limit to personal level. State should not encourage any special benefits to any class on religion basic. GOI should have stopped this years ago.

Technically all subsidies are appeasement. Why does India have food subsidies in one city, not the other? Everything should be slashed.

You are arguing between hunger n Hajj?

wow,thats a new peak scaled.

That is not precisely the case. Saudi Arabia has a separate Hajj Terminal, so before Hajj it operates only in arrival mode. After Haj it operates only in departure mode.

There won't be any departure passengers at the Haj Terminal before Hajj.

why cant u get the plane to a normal terminal and make normal passengers,board it?

all time pass.

Back
Top Bottom