What's new

Scientists demonstrate unjammable radar based on quantum imaging

Esc8781

Reaction score
Country
United States
quantum-radar-12-14-12-02.jpg

Unfortunately for those in the enemy tracking game, sophisticated aircraft-equipped anti-detection systems can outfox radar by intercepting the signal and sending back a false image, as shown above. However, researchers from the University of Rochester have figured out a technique to defeat such a jamming system that harnesses the quantum properties of light. By polarizing photons before sending them toward objects to be scanned, any attempt at modifying the returning photons caused quantum interference that was easy to detect, in the form of the very high polarization errors shown in the second false image. According to the team, such a a system could "easily be realized and integrated into modern optical ranging and imaging systems," with a little work, making it infinitely more difficult to defeat radar systems. Check the source for more "light" reading, provided that quantum mechanics doesn't break your brain.

Scientists demonstrate unjammable radar based on quantum imaging

Unjammable Quantum-Based Radar Signal Breakthrough
Posted by Paul Fiddian - Armed Forces International's Lead Reporter on 17/12/2012 - 10:20:00

568_unjammable-quantum-based-radar-signal-breakthrough_content_Unjammable_Radar_System.jpg

US-based researchers have created a radar signal that can't be intercepted, even by the world's most sophisticated jamming systems of the type fitted to Northrop B-2 Spirit ‘Stealth Bombers' and other low-visibility airborne platforms.

In the past, such systems used a range of techniques to stop data being transmitted between sources, such as chaff dispersal and noise-drowning but, increasingly, radar technologies have become too sophisticated to be beaten.

It's proved especially tricky but not impossible to intercept radar signals, modify them, then return them with false data but, now, a University of Rochester team has created a signal that can't be jammed, even in this way.
Unjammable Radar Signal

Their unjammable radar signal approach harnesses the quantum attributes of photons, specifically the fact that, whenever photons are measured, these quantum properties will always be wiped out.

These qualities lend themselves to unjammable radar signal creation in the following way. If an intercept attempt was made on photon-based signals, the photons would naturally be altered and the attempted jamming activity uncovered. In other words, try and jam this signal and you'll be found out.

'In order to jam our imaging system, the object must disturb the delicate quantum state of the imaging photons, thus introducing statistical errors that reveal its activity', explain the Rochester researchers.
Quantum Radar System

Already, the quantum radar system has been trialled, with positive results. During these trials, photons were streamed onto a target designed to resemble a B-2 Spirit Stealth Bomber. The target successively intercepted the signals but wasn't able to modify and return them without being detected.

This system is still at an early developmental stage and needs fine-tuning before it could ever be successfully deployed by any of the world's militaries. Nonetheless, defence experts have recognised the significance of the work so far accomplished and Armed Forces International will revisit this topic in future News Items.

This is bad news for strike aircraft,without jammers they are going to be VERY vulnerable to SAMS.Also this makes BVRs potentially much more deadly.

This is bad news for strike aircraft,without jammers they are going to be VERY vulnerable to SAMS.Also this makes BVRs potentially much more deadly.

Isnt it actually bad news for aircraft with jammers?

The system relies on you interfering with the signal, the change in the quantum state of the return signal is detected and they know your out there messing with their radar.

I dont see how it would be applied?
Three scenarios, A: your dropping flares and chaff like your wife with the credit card at a black friday sale, you know there are there they know your there.
B: Wild weasel, pumping out ECM they think your there and dont care that you know they are as long as your not sure where and you dont see the rest of the team.
C: Stealth aircarft with the RCS of a sparrows fart why mess with your signal and give away my position when your going to get next to nothing back off me.

A great research indeed
But will make most of the stealth tech void :P

Isnt it actually bad news for aircraft with jammers?

The system relies on you interfering with the signal, the change in the quantum state of the return signal is detected and they know your out there messing with their radar.

I dont see how it would be applied?
Three scenarios, A: your dropping flares and chaff like your wife with the credit card at a black friday sale, you know there are there they know your there.
B: Wild weasel, pumping out ECM they think your there and dont care that you know they are as long as your not sure where and you dont see the rest of the team.
C: Stealth aircarft with the RCS of a sparrows fart why mess with your signal and give away my position when your going to get next to nothing back off me.

Actually best way to counter SAM networks is to jam the radars and use stand off munitions like anti radiation missiles in SEAD operations i think,though i'm not a expert on this issue.

Wowooo this is some next level stuff. America is exploring new fields to counter china

Back
Top Bottom