What's new

SCMP: Chinese public fear repeat abuse of flood relief funds after it emerges over US$1 billion in aid for 2021 was misused

Hamartia Antidote

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
United States
Chinese Government corruption at its finest

• Internet users react with anger after its emerged that up to half the money earmarked for Henan province after the 2021 floods was diverted elsewhere
  • Reports on the topic circulating extensively online even as rescue operations in the north and northeast of the country were continuing

Heavy flooding in the northeastern city of Harbin last week. Photo: Xinhua via AP

Heavy flooding in the northeastern city of Harbin last week. Photo: Xinhua via AP

Reports that flood relief funds had been siphoned off have sparked anger in China and prompted fears that the same thing may happen again after this month’s devastating floods.

Late last month an audit report by the Henan provincial government documented how about 10 billion yuan (US$1.4 billion) of reconstruction funds earmarked for the 2021 summer flooding in Henan had been misused or siphoned off for other uses by local officials.

The story started spreading quickly online late last week after a commentary on the issue was published by state-run Guangming Daily even as rescue efforts continued in the north and northeast of the country.

More than 30 people have been killed after heavy floods hit Beijing and provinces such as Hebei, Jilin and Heilongjiang last week, with the capital recording its heaviest rainfall in 140 years.

The central government has so far allocated 520 million yuan of relief funds to the worst hit regions.
The 2021 summer flooding in Henan, which killed almost 400 people, caused a nationwide uproar because of the heavy death toll and a poor emergency response by local officials.

According to a report released in January 2022 by a State Council investigation team, the “historically rare heavy rainfall” that hit the central province had affected nearly 15 million people and resulted in economic losses of over 120 billion yuan.

Henan province has not published how much it has spent on reconstruction but media reports said the figure amounted to at least 20 billion yuan.

In November 2021 the authorities pledged, in an article for the official Zhengzhou Daily newspaper, to “seriously enforce financial discipline, strengthen fund management, and urge cities and counties to deliver funds directly to the grass roots and the affected people as soon as possible to ensure that the valuable relief and reconstruction funds are used properly”.

However, the audit report uncovered a series of problems. In one case it found that nine counties and a provincial government-controlled enterprise were allocated a total of 405 million yuan but they had failed to use them in accordance with rules.

Another two counties were discovered to have diverted over 30 million yuan of reconstruction funds.

“Construction funds are specially issued by the state, so why haven’t they been used for the people? Who is so daring? Was there any regulation?” the Guangming Daily commentary said.

“It must be clear that the money belongs to the state and the people, and how it is used must be investigated thoroughly.”

Hashtags relating to the report were blocked on the social media platform Weibo, but posts on the issue were widely shared with some attracting thousands of comments.

One popular comment on the platform said simply: “Hebei will soon be Zhengzhou in 2021.”

One of the most liked responses to a post from the media outlet iFeng.com that was shared or commented on more than 15,000 times read: “What an embarrassing piece of news to happen at this moment.”

Another reply said: “Let’s not donate money [for relief] now because of this.”

Yuanyue Dang
Yuanyue Dang

@beijingwalker

It’s time to share a YouTube video that proves how the flood relief fund was not only used correctly, but Xi also donated $10 billion from his own pocket as he is a great dear leader.

Thanks in advance. :)

It's hard to say.

If I have 100 for lunch. It turns out the hamburger just cost 50. Then I use the rest to buy drink.

It turns out someone is finding out and protesting.

Why didn't I use all the 100 to buy hamburger???

But if I use all the 100 to buy hamburger.... there must be someone who is complaining. Where is the drink???

It's hard to say.

If I have 100 for lunch. It turns out the hamburger just cost 50. Then I use the rest to buy drink.

But if I use all the 100 to buy hamburger.... there must be someone who is complaining. Where is the drink???

No, China is notorious for local government officials pocketing central Government money instead of using it for its intended purposes.

Thousands of corrupt Chinese government officials have stolen more than $120bn (£74bn) and fled overseas, mainly to the US, according to a report released by China's central bank.
Between 16,000 and 18,000 officials and employees of state-owned companies left China with the funds from the mid-1990s up until 2008.
The officials used offshore bank accounts to smuggle the funds, according to the study posted on the People's Bank of China website this week but which has since been removed.
It said the officials smuggled about 800 billion yuan into the US, Australia, Canada and the Netherlands through offshore bank accounts or investments, like property or collectables.

Last edited:
It's hard to say.

Well, drink and hamburger both for your lunch, so if you do, you don't have 50 for Burger and 50 for drink, you had 100 for lunch.

You should have use activities not related to lunch for your analogy, like if I had 100 for lunch, and the burger only cost 50, so I use the other 50 to go see a movie.

The point here is, if you have excess, it usually goes back to the pocket for disbursement and figure out how to use that money. I don't think local provincial government have any say how to use Central Government public funds.

@beijingwalker

It’s time to share a YouTube video that proves how the flood relief fund was not only used correctly, but Xi also donated $10 billion from his own pocket as he is a great dear leader.

Thanks in advance. :)
It happens to every country, but india is 10 times worse.

Why you brainless Indians never look yourself in a mirror before trying to slandering China?

微信图片_20230812112147.png
微信图片_20230812112126.png

Last edited:
Propaganda by KIND HEARTED, ANGELIC, IMPERLIASTS ! There is a tear in my eye somewhere ! :lol:

Chinese Government corruption at its finest

• Internet users react with anger after its emerged that up to half the money earmarked for Henan province after the 2021 floods was diverted elsewhere
  • Reports on the topic circulating extensively online even as rescue operations in the north and northeast of the country were continuing

Reports that flood relief funds had been siphoned off have sparked anger in China and prompted fears that the same thing may happen again after this month’s devastating floods.

Late last month an audit report by the Henan provincial government documented how about 10 billion yuan (US$1.4 billion) of reconstruction funds earmarked for the 2021 summer flooding in Henan had been misused or siphoned off for other uses by local officials.

The story started spreading quickly online late last week after a commentary on the issue was published by state-run Guangming Daily even as rescue efforts continued in the north and northeast of the country.

More than 30 people have been killed after heavy floods hit Beijing and provinces such as Hebei, Jilin and Heilongjiang last week, with the capital recording its heaviest rainfall in 140 years.

The central government has so far allocated 520 million yuan of relief funds to the worst hit regions.
The 2021 summer flooding in Henan, which killed almost 400 people, caused a nationwide uproar because of the heavy death toll and a poor emergency response by local officials.

According to a report released in January 2022 by a State Council investigation team, the “historically rare heavy rainfall” that hit the central province had affected nearly 15 million people and resulted in economic losses of over 120 billion yuan.

Henan province has not published how much it has spent on reconstruction but media reports said the figure amounted to at least 20 billion yuan.

In November 2021 the authorities pledged, in an article for the official Zhengzhou Daily newspaper, to “seriously enforce financial discipline, strengthen fund management, and urge cities and counties to deliver funds directly to the grass roots and the affected people as soon as possible to ensure that the valuable relief and reconstruction funds are used properly”.

However, the audit report uncovered a series of problems. In one case it found that nine counties and a provincial government-controlled enterprise were allocated a total of 405 million yuan but they had failed to use them in accordance with rules.

Another two counties were discovered to have diverted over 30 million yuan of reconstruction funds.

“Construction funds are specially issued by the state, so why haven’t they been used for the people? Who is so daring? Was there any regulation?” the Guangming Daily commentary said.

“It must be clear that the money belongs to the state and the people, and how it is used must be investigated thoroughly.”

Hashtags relating to the report were blocked on the social media platform Weibo, but posts on the issue were widely shared with some attracting thousands of comments.

One popular comment on the platform said simply: “Hebei will soon be Zhengzhou in 2021.”

One of the most liked responses to a post from the media outlet iFeng.com that was shared or commented on more than 15,000 times read: “What an embarrassing piece of news to happen at this moment.”

Another reply said: “Let’s not donate money [for relief] now because of this.”

Yuanyue Dang
Yuanyue Dang
This is true. Now Chinese people have stopped donating to the "Red Cross Society of China".

Of course. There may still be Chinese people donating to the Red Cross Society of China.

0.01 yuan ~ 10 yuan

Screenshot_20230812_115354.jpg
Screenshot_20230812_115412.jpg
Screenshot_20230812_115427.jpg
Screenshot_20230812_115440.jpg

You are the only laughingstock among the Chinese, if you are indeed one. take a poll and find out.
Well. Wishing you happiness.

things got so bad under terror feudal xi rule chinese can only now laugh at the indians

sad to see the lowering of standards

Back
Top Bottom