What's new

SCMP: Is China doubling down on assimilation of its ethnic minorities?

If Vietnam remains in China, soon Vietnamese will become yet another Chinese dialect and disappear.

Kinh and Chinese assimilate each others extremely well. The Hoa think they are Vietnamese and Vietnamese in China think they are Chinese.

But Chinese Kinh almost concentrated in Fangcheng which is few km from Vietnam and they like to marry girls from Vietnam. So they preserve their language till now.

My Chinese Kinh friend told me Han women too feminist and Vietnam girl very feminine. Chinese kinh like to go back Vietnam to find wife.
If possible, I would like to have some of these vietnamese ethnic back to Vietnam, just to know more about Hán Nôm.

How alive are these dialects tho?
Most of them have switched to mandarin, that's my point.

And there's actually vietnamese spoken in China too, since we have ethnic vietnamese minorities living in China. They don't use the latin characters tho, but hanzi.
They're spoken by locals mostly, such as in Shanghai and Wuhan. Newcomers generally communicate in Mandarin. Having a national language is not a bad thing. It paved the way to a unified Chinese nation in Qin dynasty.

Ethnic Kinh in China makes up a negligible portion of the total population, and their primary languages are either Mandarin or Cantonese rather than Vietnamese.

They're spoken by locals mostly, such as in Shanghai and Wuhan. Newcomers generally communicate in Mandarin. Having a national language is not a bad thing. It paved the way to a unified Chinese nation in Qin dynasty.

Ethnic Kinh in China makes up a negligible portion of the total population, and their primary languages are either Mandarin or Cantonese rather than Vietnamese.
My problem is the CCP/chinese government is OK in preserving the Manchu/Mongolian/Tibetan script (cool btw), but they just let the chinese dialects die down.

将进酒 李白(Li Bai) Cantonese vs. Mandarin vs. Beijing opera version.
And sorry to hear, but I don't see the rthymn in the Mandarin version.
The Mandarin guy was doing hard to do some dramatic reading, and the Cantonese was reading normally, but you can clearly hear some sonnant matching in the Cantonese version in two verses.

And sorry to hear, but I don't see the rthymn in the Mandarin version.
The Mandarin guy was doing hard to do some dramatic reading, and the Cantonese was reading normally, but you can clearly hear some sonnant matching in the Cantonese version in two verses.
Disagree with what you said. Anyway rhythm may not important for a long peom. Here is a short peom from Li Bai. Rhythm is more obvious for this short one.

Disagree with what you said. Anyway rhythm may not important for a long peom. Here is a short peom from Li Bai. Rhythm is more obvious for this short one.

The Mandarin one is dramatic reading but the Cantonese one is almost like a song. There's high and low, high and low, very soft to the ear.

Good clip!

Back
Top Bottom