What's new

Scorpene submarine sea trials in 2013

praveen007

Reaction score
Country
India
Scorpene submarine sea trials in 2013 - The Economic Times
Scorpene submarine sea trials in 2013

NEW DELHI: The first of the six Scorpene submarines ordered by the Indian Navy will be launched for sea trials in 2013, a top official of the firm constructing the submarines has said.
India had placed orders for six Scorpene submarines with French firm DCNS in 2005, of which the first is expected to be commissioned into the Navy by mid-2015 after a delay of around
three years.
"As per the schedule, he first Scorpene submarine would be 95 per cent ready towards end of 2013 after which it will be launched for sea trials," DCNS' India head Bernard G Buisson told PTI here.
Sea trials of a submarine are carried out when almost all the weapon systems and sensors to be deployed on board it are integrated.
He said most of the issues causing delays in the submarine programme have been sorted out and expressed confidence that there would be no further delays in the programme.
The six Scorpenes are being constructed at the Mazagon Dockyards Limited (MDL) under Project-75 under technology transfer from French firm DCNS.
The government approval for construction of the six submarines was accorded in September 2005 at a total cost of Rs 18,798 crore and the contract was signed in October that year.
The project cost was revised to Rs 23,562 crores in February 2010, along with revision in delivery schedule.
Commenting on the delays experienced in the project, Defence Minister A K Antony had recently told Parliament that "Most of the teething problems have been resolved and various plans have been put in place to minimise delays."

I am amazed, what the hell was MDL doing all these years ????????????????????????? It will take MDL 8 years to launch the first submarine. Its a record my friends, record especially by a shipyard which has two more type of submarines in the past and wasted billions of taxpayers money in the name of ToT. I mean in this time the other countries would have produced atleast half of the submarines. These submarines were approved in 1997, now what can IN do....

This is a real shame that it took so long to launch just one sub.

I am amazed, what the hell was MDL doing all these years ????????????????????????? It will take MDL 8 years to launch the first submarine. Its a record my friends, record especially by a shipyard which has two more type of submarines in the past and wasted billions of taxpayers money in the name of ToT. I mean in this time the other countries would have produced atleast half of the submarines. These submarines were approved in 1997, now what can IN do....

Politics my friend politics. Thankfully though defence procurement these days has improved dramatically and if such a procurement was initiated these days the process would be much faster, however this particular deal (as with others like Arty) are relics of a worse time.

+ lack of experience of MDL at the time and lack of understanding back then by MoD also didn't help.

^^^
Thats what i am saying, our defence PSUs are wasting money year after year in the name of ToT but they are learning nothing. I mean look at HAL, HAL has built aircraft of every generation but still to this day, they are just a production unit. Tejas is the child of DRDO not HAL. Saala.....they can't even do the upgrades themselves till this day.

As far as shipyards are concerned, i think all shipyards together in India produce same number of warships in a year as one shipyard in China. This way, we just hope China doesn't repeat 1963. Just look at the submarine development in India. MDL first took ToT from Germans, then from Russians, then from French and now they are shamelessly waiting for the next ToT.

I mean when the hell they are gonna build there own submarine or government will keep on spending money in the hope that one day we will make our own submarine. I mean, we will be fine with money also if they deliver on time but thats also not happening and because of which national security is also effected. I think its time that MDL start making their own subs while P75I can be given to someone else.

We need to reduce MDL's order or MDL might become the biggest reason for India's defeat. Unluckily for India, this inefficient and corrupt shipyard is also expanding at the fastest rate and that will only mean more orders for them which will be bad for the national interest.

Not so simple, creating infrastructure, learning to build, then build. Next ones will be easier.

India is building nuke subs.

I will agree the Scorpene TOT has been a complete disaster.

They should have stuck with HDW, they already built HDW subs before and I don't think it would have been such a mess.

this is what happens when you depend too much on foreign technology its not your court meaning anything can happen not on your terms we should invest heavily in indigenous technology development.

Ok after all this delay..its being sea launched for trail. Now how does scorpene fare against chinese subs?

The problem is absorbing the foreign technology and as indianrabbit said, building up the new infrastructure and routines, especially when we talk about advanced techs. See the difference between MDL and DCNS Indian devision, that has produced it's parts of Scorpene even before the timeline. The workers might be Indian as well, but since the company already knew what they were doing and how to do it, it was done in a more efficient way.
Also, don't mistake ToT only for the licence production of the fighters only! The advantage of producing large parts of MKI in India is already visible, by less dependance towards Russian spare supply and after sale support and same. When you learn more about the tech behind it, you will not only be able to reproduce it, but to further develop it, see be it MKIs that will have a higher Indian content with the next upgrades, or Jags that we customised with certain capabilities as well. You can even add J11, because they learned how develop this better version of the Su 27SK, by understanding the tech behind it.
As a matter of fact, Indian defence industry is not as far as they might think, or as we want. That's why there are many doubts about if they can absorb the high ammount of ToT in MMRCA and what time it might take. But even with delays, it will help the the industry, because we learn a lot about latest techs in a few years, instead of decades when we do it alone!

India’s Scorpene Project: Contracts & Key Events

March 23/12:
SEC sub-contract. DCNS India announces a Scorpene sub-contract and transfer of technology with SEC Industries Pvt Ltd of Hyderabad, India. The deal for hull hatches, cofferdam doors, knuckle hoses, ballast vent valves, High Pressure air cylinders, weapon handling and storage system is worth about Rs 310 crore/ EUR 50 million. To make this work, DCNS will provide SEC with full plans for the components, training for over 40 SEC personnel at DCNS facilities during 2012-2013, plus 5 years of on-the-job training and support for manufacturing and quality control at SEC in Hyderabad.

SEC is known in Indian defense circles as a manufacturer of missile airframes and components, and signed a deal with Israel’s IAI back in 2008. The company’s previous experience had been with heavy pump set and road-roller equipment. DCNS.

March 19/12:
Delays. The 1st Indian Scorpene sub is now confirmed as scheduled for delivery in June 2015, barring further delays, and program cost is now confirmed at Rs 23,562 crore (currently about $4.56 billion).

The original schedule was for delivery by December 2012, with submarines arriving each year until December 2017. The new official schedule has deliveries beginning 2.5 years later in June 2015, with submarines arriving every 9 months until September 2018. Costs are up about 25.4% from the original CAG-audited cost of Rs 18,798 crore after the deal was signed, or 87% over the program’s initial 2002 figure. Indian MoD | New Kerala | PTI

July 29/11:
Rear Admiral MT Moraes takes over as the Assistant Chief of Naval Staff (Submarines) at Delhi, to look after the planning and acquisition of submarines.

Rear Admiral Srikant is also slated to take over as Flag Officer Submarines (FOSM) based at Visakhapatnam, this is the indian Navy’s class authority on submarines, responsible for defining standards, policies and procedures for their operations and maintenance. Rear Admiral G Ashok Kumar will take over as Flag Officer Sea Training (FOST) at Kochi. India MoD.

India’s Multi-billion Dollar Scorpene Sub Contract

Back
Top Bottom