What's new

SCS now the West Philippine Sea

i think tmrw, srilanka might like to change the name Indian ocean to Great Lankan ocean. that would be nice too :D

You, more than ANYONE (except below freezing), need to ward off the spirits of the dead. A cheap jade talisman is not going to cut it. Believe me ......

Talking of spirits, I’m pretty sure they have been using the weegie board before every decision at the White House. I hear that weegie boards are being supplied from Tel Aviv to every american politician.

Philippines to hold joint naval exercises with US

By Barbara Mae Dacanay, Bureau Chief, June 15, 2011, Gulf News

Manila: The Philippines and the United States are to hold joint naval exercises in the West Philippine Sea (the designated name of the South China Sea) for 10 days from the end of the month.

The countries will also discuss beefing up Philippine naval power to stave off China's sudden assertion of supremacy in the contested sea lane and oil-rich Spratly Archipelago, sources have said.

The Armed Forces of the Philippines and the US will hold joint war games off Palawan in southwest Philippines, in the West Philippine Sea, from June 28 to July 8, said Philippine Navy spokesman, Lieutenant Colonel Omar Tonsay.

War games

The war games, identified as Cooperation Afloat Readiness and Training (Carat) 2011, have been ongoing for more than 10 years, after the Philippine Senate's ratification of the US-Philippines Visiting Forces Agreement in 1998, said Tonsay.

In August, top officials from the Philippines and the US will also attend an annual board meeting of the US-Philippine Mutual Defence Treaty, an agreement forged by the two allies in 1951.

Protection

Meanwhile, the government has allocated 11.9 billion pesos (Dh991 million) for the acquisition of modern Hamilton-class cutter patrol craft from the US Coast Guard; and the development of the Philippine Coast Guard to protect the eight-Kalayaan island chain claimed by the Philippines on the Spratly Archipelago, said Armed Forces of the Philippines chief of staff Gen Eduardo Oban Jr.

"We will have radars and communication equipment for detection and monitoring of the Coast Guard in the West Philippine Sea," he said, adding the equipment will arrive in August.

gulfnews : Philippines to hold joint naval exercises with US

Back
Top Bottom