trident2010

Reaction score
Country
India
Second LR-SAM Test Before November, IAF & Army Interested

LRSAM1-783236.jpg

barak-784734.jpg

lrsam2-786897.jpg

The joint Israeli-Indian Long Range Surface to Air Missile (LR-SAM for India, designated Barak-8 in Israel) will undergo its first test-firing at India's Integrated Test Range before November, if sources are to be believed. LiveFist has learnt that the LR-SAM, when inducted, will be housed in four vertical launch units (VLUs), each housing eight missiles, on each of the three Project-15A destroyers and seven Project-17A stealth frigates, i.e, each of India's next generation warships will carry at least 32 LR-SAMs. The combat suites of both vessel classes will be built around the Elta EL/M-2248 MF-STAR.

Scientists and engineers from DRDL were in Israel for the missile's first test flight earlier this year. The dual-pulse smokeless solid rocket motor propelled missile is being built with an effective range of 70-km and a ceiling of 16-km -- that's official. The missile's high agility is being provided by a tungsten jet vane system for thrust vector control and a highly evolved electro-pneumatic control actuation system. Following fresh interest evinced by the Indian Air Force (IAF) and the Indian Army, the dual-mode guided weapon (GPS + data link for midcourse guidance / seeker for terminal homing) will be deployable on mobile launchers as well. The weapon system can engage 12 targets with 24 missiles.

LiveFist - The Best of Indian Defence: Second LR-SAM Test Before November, IAF & Army Interested

Only 32 missiles per ship!! Heard it will be 48. :undecided: The missile is very advanced and agile but the range doesn't match IN's ambitions.

36 is enough for 36 f-16....

I can see only 32 VLS.

PAF cannot put all of its most capable fighters against IN, while they have to face larger IAF with much more advanced fighters. IN has its own air-arm to fight enemy fighters so I think as a area defence system LR-SAM will be mostly needed for long range anti-missile role.

I can see only 32 VLS.

PAF cannot put all of its most capable fighters against IN, while they have to face larger IAF with much more advanced fighters. IN has its own air-arm to fight enemy fighters so I think as a area defence system LR-SAM will be mostly needed for long range anti-missile role.

project already under-development...once our defense system will be full proof...

Only 32 missiles per ship!! Heard it will be 48. :undecided: The missile is very advanced and agile but the range doesn't match IN's ambitions.

These 32 misslies will be in long range mode and there will be same nos or more missile in short range theatre also. So total no of missiles will be more on each warship.
And there are no big surprises if the design of the warship is modified after some nos to accomdate more no of missiles as these will be fired in VLS mode, that should not take more space on warship as compare to horizontal mode.

Have they expressed any more range ambitions ???

32 LRSAM + VLS Buk SR + Kashtan gattling CIWS .

Looks impressive , add CMS17/Indian-AEGIS+Link2 + PDV . We have descent defence

These 32 misslies will be in long range mode and there will be same nos or more missile in short range theatre also. So total no of missiles will be more on each warship.
And there are no big surprises if the design of the warship is modified after some nos to accomdate more no of missiles as these will be fired in VLS mode, that should not take more space on warship as compare to horizontal mode.
We can see that from the image itself.

32 LR-SAM
32 Barak-1

Actually I was asking for more LRSAM as expected before.

Have they expressed any more range ambitions ???

I was talking about over all ambitions of IN. Nuke sub, SLBM, long range cruise missile, hypersonic cruise missile, carriers, fifth generation fighter, advanced stealth ship etc. In that scenario our longest range SAM has only 60/70 km range, is undesirable.

Look at other navies.... US Navy is way ahead with SM-6 (370 km+ range), European ASTER 30-SAMP/T has a range of ~ 120 km and even PLAN's local copy of S-300 call HQ-9 has good range!!!!

32 LRSAM + VLS Buk SR + Kashtan gattling CIWS .
No doubt this combination is one of the best in the world but still lack range. Something with ~150 km range would have been cool.

Looks impressive , add CMS17/Indian-AEGIS+Link2 + PDV . We have descent defence

We can hope DRDO come up with naval versions of AD-1/2.

Back
Top Bottom