What's new

Shanghai Expo 2010 opens today (May 1st)!

Don't put much faith in what Reuters or ziopedia says, much of it is rumors and false gossip.

The actual buildings constructed are paid for by their respective countries. The high cost of security is needed, and the infrastructure (subways, roads, facilities, water treatment plants, etc) are going to be developed with or without the Expo.

After reading your view, I do not find Reuter's claim of the Shanghai Expo 2010 cost to be convincing. I have written a new fun factoid to replace it.

3) "Shanghai's Expo is likely to be the largest World's Fair ever, with some 70 million visitors expected to attend in the six months before it closes on Oct. 31." The Shanghai Expo will display "a jamboree of 189 nations that [China] hope will showcase their country as a potent but peaceful world power." (See Shanghai forecasts largest-ever World?s Fair - Asia- msnbc.com and Expo 2010: Shanghai hosts world's fair respectively)

The Shanghai Expo will be the first carbon-neutral and "greenest" world fair in history.

"Solar panels installed in various Expo buildings will create a 5-megawatt solar power system — China's largest. Zero-emission electric vehicles will be used within the Expo grounds.

Expo organizers say most of the materials used to make the pavilions will be recycled, and they have pledged to eventually end with a "carbon-neutral" impact." (See Shanghai forecasts largest-ever World?s Fair - Asia- msnbc.com)

Last edited:
World Expo turns Shanghai an int'l carnival - People's Daily Online

P201005020824512153011312.jpg

Spectacular fireworks explode over the Lupu Bridge across the Huangpu River during the opening ceremony for the 2010 World Expo held in Shanghai, east China, April 30, 2010. Colorful Lupu Bridge is miraculously transformed to a "rainbow" Friday night. (Xinhua/Wang Song)

Different languages and dialects could be heard and visitors with different skin colors piled in long lines to enter most of the pavilions in the Expo park.

Under the theme of "Better City, Better Life", pavilions in all shapes, colors and sizes, branded with each country's unique culture and history, were expected to draw more than 350,000 visitors at the opening day.
National treasures, both tangible and intangible, from 246 countries and international organizations are on display.

Some popular pavilions, including the China Pavilion, need to book an extra ticket before entrance.

The China Pavilion, a crimson-painted, crown-shaped mansion, was the most eye-catching facility near the center of the 5.28-square-kilometer Expo park.

It is one of the few structures that will not be demolished after the six-month Expo that runs through the end of October.

Others permanent structures include the seashell-shaped Expo Culture Center where the Expo opening ceremony was held Friday night, the Expo Center, China's Joint Provincial Pavilion and the Expo Axis.

"The China Pavilion is definitely the first destination," said 76-year-old Shanghai resident Wan Genxing. Wan, sitting in a wheel chair pushed by his wife, said he was quite excited about the visit.

Inside the pavilion, thousands of spectators were amazed by the multimedia display of China's national treasure -- "Riverside Scene at Qingming Festival", a masterpiece by a Chinese painter more than 800 years ago.

An eight-minute documentary film -- "Beautiful Progress" by Chinese director Lu Chuan of international fame, which focuses on the changes of Chinese cities since the reform and opening-up policy was introduced in 1978, also impressed visitors.

Many complained about the shortage of tickets need for the China Pavilion. Other popular destinations also include Britain's stunning dandelion-like "Seed Cathedral", Romania's "Green Apple" and Spain's "Big Basket" made of 8,524 wicker panels.

"The Spain Pavilion is spectacular and incredibly wonderful," said British tourist Liza Levy, who just stepped out of the pavilion. It would be worth of the queuing time if the exhibitions are impressive, she said.

Ge Ning, an executive of a sci-tech company in Shanghai's neighboring Jiangsu Province, was among the first to enter the park. "I'm here to see new inventions concerning science, technology, environmental protection, and energy," he said. The United States Pavilion and the exotic pavilions of African countries are also on his list.

"I might only be able to visit five pavilions today," he said, wowing the crowds around him.

As the first Expo ever in a developing country, the Shanghai World Expo is expected to attract 70 million visitors from China and abroad.

The Expo is "a celebration of human achievements with the goal of inspiring present and future generations to pursue not only the ideals, but also the actions for 'Better City, Better Life'," Vicente Gonzalea Loscertales, Secretary General of International Exhibitions Bureau, said Saturday while addressing the opening ceremony of the Expo park.

The Expo will "not only educate, entertain and fascinate visitors, but will spark the energies to build the cities of the future on some of its foundations," he said.

Pakistan hails China's World Expo 2010 - People's Daily Online

Pakistani media and business community hailed World Expo 2010 which opened in China's industrial and financial hub Shanghai on Friday with 189 countries participating in the six-month event.

Almost all Pakistani TV channels have reported or broadcast live the opening ceremony.

TV "Express 24/7" described it as the biggest expo attracting millions of people around the world.

Pakistan's most viewed channel "Geo TV" said that "the world's biggest expo is being inaugurated through this colorful ceremony full of Chinese culture."

"The expo will last for six month with high level of security," Geo added.

Samaa TV has a special transmission with the headline on its website saying "Shanghai opens Expo with dazzling display."

"China officially opened its multi-billion-dollar Expo with a dazzling display of fireworks, lasers and dancing fountains, amid thousand of security personnel and electronic watch dogs," Samaa TV website said.

"You may say that it might be a dream but China has materialized it," Malik Sohail, president of Businessman Association of Islamabad, told Xinhua.

A lot of viewers watched the World Expo opening ceremony throughout Pakistan.

"This was the most beautiful and entertaining program after the opening ceremony of Beijing Olympics 2008," said Sohail Iqbal, a media person in Islamabad.

Source: Xinhua

Both India and Pakistan have made absolutely ridiculous looking pavilions, look at other countries and then compare ours with them. Come on get your act together and at least put an effort into making it impressive and presentable to others.

Shanghai World Expo 2010 Pavilion PHOTOS: See The 25 Best

Whats wrong with India Pavilion buddy??? Do You know , India pavilion was a chanllenge for chinese engineers, as the design concept and the Doom of bamboo was A new concept to them,Indian pavilion actually rewrites China’s architecture rulebook..

Whats wrong with India Pavilion buddy??? Do You know , India pavilion was a chanllenge for chinese engineers, as the design concept and the Doom of bamboo was A new concept to them,Indian pavilion actually rewrites China’s architecture rulebook..

Sorry to say but it looks **** to me, I am talking aesthetics only. It does not impress me one bit, much like the Pakistani sand castle.

It reminds me of a wedding hall in Pakistan with paan colored walls, I think it is inspired from a paan.

paan.jpg

Here are some others.

2888611190_2380b7fd76.jpg

I dont say our Pavilion an architectural marvel but it sure looks good to me... I dont think anyone would say it suks

Amazing panoramic YouTube WIDESCREEN and HD videos of Shanghai Expo! It's the same as being there!

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom