What's new

Shanghai tops global school tests, UK 'stagnates'

Chinese love boasting. High score don't mean you are superior. Germany scored lower than many Europe countries but who made the Europe its' bitches? It was the Germany. Similar to Russian, they don't score high who do you Chinese fear of? Russia right? They bully you all the time even when the Qing at the high power.

According to the article I just read, Vietnam said the score does not reflect their broken education system. Which means, people should not take the score serious. Do you see the different mentality of Chinese SMoA(Sick Man of Asia)=boasting VS Vietnamese = humble, dont boast.

Last edited:
Chinese love boasting. High score don't mean you are superior. Germany scored lower than many Europe countries but who made the Europe its' bitches? It was the Germany. Similar to Russian, they don't score high who do you Chinese fear of? Russia right? They bully you all the time even when the Qing at the high power.

you are making a meal out of the test results
all the quotes are from media sources which generally give us a high-5
why should we be fear of Russia which is our strategic ally on many occassions

According to the article I just read, Vietnam said the score does not reflect their broken education system. Which means, people should not take the score serious. Do you see the different mentality of Chinese SMoA(Sick Man of Asia)=boasting VS Vietnamese = humble, dont boast.

how are the government or the people of a country will take their viewpoint and if any follow-up actions for that matter are their own decisions. Most take the test seriously. A country has chickened out after a dismal performance. Some have reacted positively, made their adjustments and improved their scores

the label you mentioned belong to another country or could fit yours.you are just acting silly!

I just checked the scores again. I can't emphasise more that Vietnam rocks this time. It scored just like Germany on all fields.

The result makes me look at Vietnam in a new light. I''d consider Vietnam as 0.7 East Asian country since now.

btw, doesn't 73th-placed knowledge supa powa want to sell Vietnam advanced Martian military technologies such as rifles and Bramos missiles? You'll have a laugh of it.

Let's see if their performance is consistent and lasting into the future and also reflects in other academic / intellectual tests. Then we will look at it comprehensively.

I am glad China does well on all those regards generally.

Last edited:
Dont you Chinese get the point?
First, the score means to measure country's education purpose, not means to measure who is superior? Look at Germany score and other Europe. Look at Russia score compare with other Europe and Asia. Both Germany and Russia not in the top. However, the history of theirs dominated other countries most of the time.

Some people considered Vietnam as star performer because the test is their first, their educational quality is poor compare to developed countries but they was able to make to place 17 and break in top 10 science. However, on recent interview with Vietnam ministry education, they commented that, people should not take the test result too serious, and admitted that Vietnam education system are broken and really in need of reform, therefore the test dont reflect to the actual education in Vietnam.

Which means the score only reflect a portion of a country educational, not mean to measure as whole. You Chinese nationalists emphasize too much on the test score make it like another IQs subject.

I don´t know about Russia, but Germany education system has its weakness: it is divided into two halfs. One half is good/excellent and can compete with the world, and the lower less educated half (make up most of the poor and have-not). German elite comes out from the top half.

As for VN, I rather want to see it in the top 10. But it is a long way to go.

Last edited:
Anyone has China's internal Gaokao provincial rankings on Maths & Sciences?

of any year. the more the better.

Dont you Chinese get the point?
First, the score means to measure country's education purpose, not means to measure who is superior? Look at Germany score and other Europe. Look at Russia score compare with other Europe and Asia. Both Germany and Russia not in the top. However, the history of theirs dominated other countries most of the time.

You are putting a stone that intended to throw at us but it's dropped on your own feet instead and you've failed miserably to read my lines

Many the comments about China - Shanghai, HK, Macao Taiwan's taking top spots of the charts are from PISA organisers and foreign press, educators

Germany, Russia et al which score below us are a fact. However, that does not mean they dont wish to advance to the top of the chart in future! In fact all participants in the test want their country to do well! Same applies to the drop-out(s) after their first test!

Germany/Russia etc are strong in other areas like manufacturing, weapons industries is true but their pperators are not 15-year-olds. They are keeping their strengths through the receipt of strong industrial, engineering, scientific legacies which pass on to them from their forefathers.pioneers. During that period we were poor!

Some people considered Vietnam as star performer because the test is their first, their educational quality is poor compare to developed countries but they was able to make to place 17 and break in top 10 science. However, on recent interview with Vietnam ministry education, they commented that, people should not take the test result too serious, and admitted that Vietnam education system are broken and really in need of reform, therefore the test dont reflect to the actual education in Vietnam.

By the same token, if you are considered as star performers then we are rightfully considered as SUPER-SUPER-STARS of the tests because we are able to top the charts consistently twice, and in the first attempt we had the best score already!

you are accepting you are a "star performer" while rejecting we are not. What a loser!

Again as I said what attitudes would the government take in respect of the scores is the government's own decision. Some strive to improve on it, some neglect it; one said it is unrepresentative and biased on them and dropped it all together

Which means the score only reflect a portion of a country educational, not mean to measure as whole. You Chinese nationalists emphasize too much on the test score make it like another IQs subject.

You are just silly again
We are very proud of our students who are doing very well not just in PISA but in many other academic and intellectual contests as well. I am sure countries like Finland etc which also do well are also proud of their performances as well.
The results do reflect a lot of things positively on our students, not just IQs!

Chill out you "indo-viet-whatever" cheerleader!

Last edited:
I think that Viet Nam had a stellar performace. It is quite astonishing.

It ranks global top 8 in science, well ahead all major Western economies except the Finns!
It outdone Canada, Australia, Austria in Maths!
Statistically speaking Viet Nam's mean Maths score is the same as that of Germany!

I mean WOW!
Thanks. On the other end Indonesia performance is shocking: place 64, only higher than Peru. I wonder why the Philippines did not take part.

Just a note,
OECD selected participating Vietnamese students and schools at random from national archives Vietnam had provided.

Pisa 2012 results: which country does best at reading, maths and science? | News | theguardian.com

Pisa results 2012
Green: above average Blue: average Red: below average Source: OECD, PISA
Ranking

Country name
Maths, mean score Pisa 2012
Reading, mean score Pisa 2012
Science, mean score in PISA 2012

0 OECD average 494 496 501
1 Shanghai-China 613 570 580
2 Singapore 573 542 551
3 Hong Kong-China 561 545 555
4 Taiwan 560 523 523
5 S.Korea 554 536 538
6 Macau-China 538 509 521
7 Japan 536 538 547
8 Liechtenstein 535 516 525
9 Switzerland 531 509 515
10 Netherlands 523 511 522
11 Estonia 521 516 541
12 Finland 519 524 545
13 Canada 518 523 525
14 Poland 518 518 526
15 Belgium 515 509 505
16 Germany 514 508 524
17 Vietnam 511 508 528
18 Austria 506 490 506
19 Australia 504 512 521
20 Ireland 501 523 522
21 Slovenia 501 481 514
22 Denmark 500 496 498
23 New Zealand 500 512 516
24 Czech Republic 499 493 508
25 France 495 505 499
26 UK 494 499 514
27 Iceland 493 483 478
28 Latvia 491 489 502
29 Luxembourg 490 488 491
30 Norway 489 504 495
31 Portugal 487 488 489
32 Italy 485 490 494
33 Spain 484 488 496
34 Russian Federation 482 475 486
35 Slovak Republic 482 463 471
36 USA 481 498 497
37 Lithuania 479 477 496
38 Sweden 478 483 485
39 Hungary 477 488 494
40 Croatia 471 485 491
41 Israel 466 486 470
42 Greece 453 477 467
43 Serbia 449 446 445
44 Turkey 448 475 463
45 Romania 445 438 439
46 Cyprus 440 449 438
47 Bulgaria 439 436 446
48 UAE 434 442 448
49 Kazakhstan 432 393 425
50 Thailand 427 441 444
51 Chile 423 441 445
52 Malaysia 421 398 420
53 Mexico 413 424 415
54 Montenegro 410 422 410
55 Uruguay 409 411 416
56 Costa Rica 407 441 429
57 Albania 394 394 397
58 Brazil 391 410 405
59 Argentina 388 396 406
60 Tunisia 388 404 398
61 Jordan 386 399 409
62 Colombia 376 403 399
63 Qatar 376 388 384
64 Indonesia 375 396 382
65 Peru 368 384 373

Last edited:
By the same token, if you are considered as star performers then we are rightfully considered as SUPER-SUPER-STARS of the tests because we are able to top the charts consistently twice, and in the first attempt we had the best score already!

Dont you Chinese ever get the point? The point is the test score does not mean to measure Nation's superiority.

I have mentioned above regard to Vietnamese test result, some people including some Vietnamese on internet delusional think that the Vietnamese is good because they out performed U.K and U.S. , but in fact their whole education no match for UK, and U.S., broken and needed to reform, admitted Vietnam Ministry of Education.

Same with the Chinese, while many of your nationalists boasting about the result. However, it is not like you trying interpret. Many problem lies within your education system, big gap of disparity between the smart and dumb Chinese. Your Chinese fellows also admitted.

Opinion | Despite recent test scores, China is not 'eating our lunch' | Seattle Times Newspaper

Yong Zhao on Finland’s “Decline” on PISA and East Asian “Success” | Diane Ravitch's blog

Here the leak of the whole China score.
Analysis Of China’s PISA 2009 Results

Reading 486Math 550Science 524 Average520

If I use the test score above, you are on the rank of 20th.

Last edited:
Take Singapore as the example, they are in top 10. Their country only have 5 mil population. You think they are superior than Russia and Vietnam. Vietnam only need to send Laos to destroy them within months.

Dont you Chinese ever get the point? The point is the test score does not mean to measure Nation's superiority.

I have mentioned above regard to Vietnamese test result, some people including some Vietnamese on internet delusional think that the Vietnamese is good because they out performed U.K and U.S. , but in fact their whole education no match for UK, and U.S., broken and needed to reform, admitted Vietnam Ministry of Education.

I have said the test has shown our excellence in PISA tests
Do you like your team (whoever it is) to drop out or to linger at the bottom of the chart!?!
Whether it implies other stuff I say yes and there are many implications to derive rom the test results like the quality of teachers, class sizes, income etc which are the purposes of the study pursuant to the tests

whatever the vietnamese' action or non action towards their scores that is their matter
if they are unhappy, then get the f*ck out like the indians

Same with the Chinese, while many of your nationalists boasting about the result. However, it is not like you trying interpret. Many problem lies within your education system, big gap of disparity between the smart and dumb Chinese. Your Chinese fellows also admitted.

Opinion | Despite recent test scores, China is not 'eating our lunch' | Seattle Times Newspaper

Yong Zhao on Finland’s “Decline” on PISA and East Asian “Success” | Diane Ravitch's blog

You are silly repeatedly again
We are no 1 as represented by China-Shanghai
We are doing very well as prepresented by other territories like HK, Macao Taiwan
We are doing well at par or above that of OECD as represented by 12 provinces

Everyone is entitled to their interpretations. But those nay sayers will not deter their countries from participating again in the test in 3 years time

india will again be a drop out
If vietnam is dismissing the test like you do, then vietnamese can leave the test like the indians

the poster @Viet post#88 was comparing vietnam's performance with indonesia!
STFU!

Here the leak of the whole China score.
Analysis Of China’s PISA 2009 Results

Reading 486Math 550Science 524 Average520

If I use the test score above, you are on the rank of 20th.

what leak!
I have disclosed it on #87 above
For a country as big as China, ranking 20th as a whole is a great achievement!

Chill out again indo-viet-whatever your are!

Take Singapore as the example, they are in top 10. Their country only have 5 mil population. You think they are superior than Russia and Vietnam. Vietnam only need to send Laos to destroy them within months.

I will see the same countries Germany, USA, Russia, Singapore ...will enter the next test in 3 years time. We may extend our delegations.

again as I said, if vietnam is unhappy, then just leave the test like the indians!

Last edited:
The Viet dude in here is one of those I have mentioned one of the delusional to take the score serious despite the Vietnam officials commented the test score should not be taken serious. Thank gods, this Viet member have not gone to Thailand and Malaysia forum to do comparison, otherwise people like me should have spent time to explain how PISA work again.

More of the real China problem behind the test score.

Chinese Education: The Truth Behind the Boasts
Chinese Education: The Truth Behind the Boasts - Businessweek

PISA's China Problem
PISA's China Problem | Brookings Institution

Last edited:
The Viet dude in here is one of those I have mentioned one of the delusional to take the score serious despite the Vietnam officials commented the test score should not be taken serious. Thank gods, this Viet member have not gone to Thailand and Malaysia forum to do comparison, otherwise people like me should have spent time to explain how PISA work again.

More of the real China problem behind the test score.

Chinese Education: The Truth Behind the Boasts
Chinese Education: The Truth Behind the Boasts - Businessweek
PISA's China Problem
PISA's China Problem | Brookings Institution

I am damn sure the USA will participate in the next PISA
They are sending an extra delegate from the state of Virginia for the test ( in addition of teams from country-wide).
I am also sure other OECD countries will take the test
I am sure China will take the test and Shanghai, HK, Taiwan will consistently rank among the best
I am sure vietnam will take the test

if vietnam is unhappy then LEAVE just like the drop-out and the quitter - india!
No country is forced to attend the test!

You lost all credibility when you start mentioning China "sick man of Asia" or that "Vietnamese = humble." Humble people don't act this way. You also dismissed the PISA test as irrelevant. While it's true that this test does not represent a country standing in the world, it does show the relative educational level of 15 years old of participating countries. It may also give a glimpse into a people's attitude/motivation toward education. In this Vietnam and Shanghai are great.

As for Vietnam having a broken education system that is in urgent need of reform. This is a fact that every Vietnamese know. Whoever said it is just stating the fact. It's not smart to lie in people's face about the obvious. Calling that humble is really just boasting.

Personally, I am proud that Vietnamese kids do well on the PISA, there's no downside to doing good. I've just read a study done in Germany exploring why/how their Vietnamese immigrants do so well academically. Was done in 2012, showing Vietnamese children IQ slightly higher than their counter part in Germany. Here I quote and you can find the research paper here http://lesacreduprintemps19.files.w...ng-and-instruction-in-vietnam-and-germany.pdf. A very reputable researcher with some affiliation with the PISA test.

"Vietnamese students achieved these results in spite of a) a huge wealth gap(average family income per family 445 vs.2,858 Euro Germany), b)the past history of war, violence and suppression
in Vietnam with its detrimental effects on cognitive ability c)continuing Communist rule d)having
more children e) a more neglecting parenting style compared to Germany, f)fewer books in the family, g)less reading by children, and h) the total absence of preschool education! No child in our Vietnamese sample had attended crèche or kindergarten which proliferate in Western countries and are important factors in international comparisons evaluating cognitive, school and personality development"

I believe that IQ is just the result of education so I don't think one people is just naturally more gifted than other. It all comes down to a positive attitude for education and its availability. I think Vietnam can do better as their condition improve, even now their school day is only 4 hours long. Shorter than a great many countries. In this, I am happy, at least Vietnam future looks a little brighter.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom