What's new

Shanghai World Expo ends; drew 72 million visitors

Abhishek_

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
IN31_SHANGHAI_278783f.jpg

China declared its biggest tourism event ever, the Shanghai World Expo, a stunning success on Sunday, after introducing a record 72 million visitors to a smorgasbord of cultures and technologies meant to illustrate ideas for urban sustainability.

The massive, six-month event aimed at showcasing China’s rise as a modern industrial power drew mainly local visitors, many of them ordinary folk from the provinces who flooded into the city by the tour busload-full, cramming the city’s hotels, subways and other public places.

They found waits of up to 10 hours for some popular national pavilions, sweltering summer temperatures, long walks and other inconveniences for what could be once-in-a-lifetime direct contact with foreign places and people.

Premier Wen Jiabao praised the fair Sunday as a “splendid event” that “truly brought together people around the globe.”

Highlights included Denmark’s famed “Little Mermaid” sculpture, a rooftop cable car ride above a replica alpine meadow at the Swiss pavilion, famous impressionist paintings from the Louvre at the French pavilion, and entertainment by Cirque du Soleil courtesy of Canada.

“Thanks to the expo, people like me who never would have a chance to go abroad can experience the whole world,” said Zou Aiguo, a retiree from central China’s Jiangxi province whose son gave him an expo tour as a present.

“It’s my first time to Shanghai, the most prosperous city in China, and I’m very excited,” he said.

Not everyone was pleased by the event, least of all some of those unhappy with being forced out of old housing to make way for the expo zone, but such criticism gains little traction in a country that vigorously suppresses public dissent.

China spent 28.6 billion yuan ($4.3 billion) on the event and many billions more on improving subways, airports and other public facilities in this metropolis of more than 20 million people. The entire city got fresh paint, new landscaping and flowers and a kaleidoscope of decorative lighting.

World Expositions began with the Great Exhibition of 1851 in London, which marked the coming of the Industrial Revolution, and have often helped introduce new technologies, foods and innovative ideas.

Striving to make its fair a “green” one in keeping with its motto “Better City, Better Life,” Shanghai deployed electric buses and carts and installed energy-saving air conditioning and water filters meant to cut use of bottled water. It also recycled rain water and made use of solar power.

Organizers even limited where visitors could smoke, though enforcement was lax, especially at night.

On Sunday, U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon praised the organizers for taking on the theme.

“The Shanghai Expo will close soon but it will not be forgotten,” Ban said. “Let us keep the Shanghai vision alive in our discussions and our lifestyles.”

An average 370,000 visitors traipsed each day; it was standing-room only when attendance hit a peak of 1.03 million on Oct. 16.

“The pavilions look great from the outside, better than I expected, but I’m not convinced it’s worth waiting for hours in lines to get in,” said Liu Xiaoyin, who drove her 13-year-old daughter to Shanghai from a nearby city.

“Anyway, we came over to have a look. After all, it is happening in China, so we Chinese should not miss it,” Liu said.

The 72 million who managed to get to the event surpassed the previous record of 64.21 million visitors who attended the 1970 fair in Osaka, Japan. Achieving the record was an absolute must in a prestige-obsessed country with a penchant for overshooting numerical targets.

The next expo, in 2012, will be in the South Korean port city of Yeosu, with a similar theme of “Green Growth, Blue Economy,” or marine-based sustainability. After that the expo will move to the Italian city of Milan in 2015, with a focus on food safety.

All but a handful of the more than 200 structures built for the expo along the banks of the Huangpu river {hbox}” former shipyards and steel works destined to become prime real estate {hbox}” must be dismantled and recycled or otherwise disposed of.

Some pavilions will be moved elsewhere to serve as museums or landmarks.

In recent weeks, many pavilions began selling off their remaining souvenirs and other miscellany as they prepared to shut down, including piles of memorabilia festooned with the big-eyed, bright blue “Haibao” mascot figure.

The 72 million who managed to get to the event surpassed the previous record of 64.21 million visitors who attended the 1970 fair in Osaka, Japan. Achieving the record was an absolute must in a prestige-obsessed country with a penchant for overshooting numerical targets.

[/quote]

No, achieving the record is not a must. It happens to be the result due to the massive investment and excellent organization. All of my friends went to the expo with their families, but nobody went their because they are "prestige-obsessed".

The biggest winner of this expo is the city of shanghai. It earned so much money.

pls remember this expo is held in China, the country with the largest population on the planet. it would surprise me if the number of visitor didn't reached a new record.

if making new record could be a proof for being "a prestige-obsessed country with a penchant for overshooting numerical targets." then i think Japanese people should be shamed for their No.2 highest world expo visitor record in 1970, because obviously Japan has much less people even today, let alone in 1970.

and when we talking about making new records, how could someone forget the US. the No.1 power on earth didn't came overnight, it was built on thousands of thousands new would records made by the Americans.
so i think it's perfectly all right when we making some new ones today. and of course, i hope there is more and more.:yahoo:

Count me a skeptic. It seems to me Shanghai Expo is more of a government subsidized publicity event for foreigners to build up their soft power in China. Same for the planned Shanghai Disneyland.

Count me a skeptic. It seems to me Shanghai Expo is more of a government subsidized publicity event for foreigners to build up their soft power in China. Same for the planned Shanghai Disneyland.

Actually, most of the visitors, 99% I guess, are Chinese from different parts of China. I would say it is an event for Chinese people to see and feel the world, other than let foreigners feel China.

And the city of Shanghai earned 80 billion RMB directly from the expo. If we can let foreigners feel our softpower while earning so much money, why refuse it?

My grandpa weny in June and it was packed. He went back on the last day and it turned out to be a huge mistake. The queues were so long that he couldn't get into any of the pavillions.

My grandpa weny in June and it was packed. He went back on the last day and it turned out to be a huge mistake. The queues were so long that he couldn't get into any of the pavillions.

My father went there in August, he said the Expo was too crowded, you can number the visitable pavilions. And too bad, you cannot line up for the Chinese one. :frown:

Last edited:
Yeah, it is very crowded, and you have to walk a lot in this huge area. Not suitable for old people, especially during July and August. So many people lining up outside those popular pavillions. There is no hope to enter the pavillion of China. But it will not be removed after the expo. I heard the former French prime minister even dropped tears during his visiting of the Chinese pavillion, so I am very curious about it. Hope to have a chance to visit it.

72 million visitors?
Thats more than UK's population including the estimated increase for the next 10 years...

72 million visitors?
Thats more than UK's population including the estimated increase for the next 10 years...

It is nuts, but in a country of billion it can happen. For example An estimated 60 to 70 million people gathered over 45 days in Allahabad, India for the Kumbh Mela the world's largest gathering in January 2007.

China holds closing ceremony for Shanghai World Expo * People's Daily Online

P201011010811031114454202.jpg

The closing ceremony of Shanghai World Expo 2010 is held at the Expo Cultural Center in the World Expo Park in Shanghai, east China, Oct. 31, 2010. The 184*day Shanghai World Expo concluded here Sunday. The even drew the participation of 246 countries and international organizations, and attracted more than 73 million visitors, a record high in the Expo history. (Xinhua/Fan Jun)

P201011010811372026421994.jpg

Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao (3rd, R) attends the closing ceremony of the Shanghai World Expo at the Expo Cultural Center in the World Expo Park in Shanghai, east China, Oct. 31, 2010. (Xinhua/Pang Xinglei)

P201011010812203236414887.jpg

The closing ceremony of Shanghai World Expo 2010 is held at the Expo Cultural Center in the World Expo Park in Shanghai, east China, Oct. 31, 2010. The 184*day Shanghai World Expo concluded here Sunday. The event drew the participation of 246 countries and international organizations, and attracted more than 73 million visitors, a record high in the Expo history. (Xinhua/Chen Fei)

P201011010812531808240672.jpg

P201011010813061589812780.jpg

P201011010813206199409320.jpg

Jean*Pierre Lafon, president of Bureau International des Expositions (BIE), addresses the closing ceremony of Shanghai World Expo 2010 at the Expo Cultural Center in the World Expo Park in Shanghai, east China, Oct. 31, 2010. The 184*day event drew the participation of 246 countries and international organizations, and attracted more than 73 million visitors, a record high in the Expo history. (Xinhua/Liu Bin)

P201011010813426128278052.jpg

P201011010813571233820025.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom