What's new

Sharif govt puts Iran pipeline 'off the table'.

janon

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
Iran gas project off the table: minister - DAWN.COM

530bf8cf3e0a9.jpeg

ISLAMABAD: Minister for Petroleum and Natural Resources Shahid Khaqan Abbasi informed the National Assembly on Monday that the Iran-Pakistan gas pipeline project was now off the table.

“In the absence of international sanctions the project can be completed within three years, but the government cannot take it any further at the moment because international sanctions against Iran are a serious issue,” he said in reply to a supplementary question put by PML-N lawmaker Zahra Wadood.

Former president Asif Ali Zardari and his Iranian counterpart Mahmoud Ahmadinejad had announced in February last year to complete the project in 15 months.

But analysts doubted the sincerity of the present government to follow up the venture because of close ties between the PML-N leadership and Saudi Arabia which is reported to be against the project.

Pakistan will have to pay a penalty if it failed to lay the $1.3 billion pipeline within its territory by December this year, but the petroleum minister told the house that the job could be done only after the lifting of sanctions against Iran.

Pakistan has been persuading Iran to review the timeline of the project.

Aik bar zor sa bolo "dekho dekho kon aya.........Sher aya sher aya"

On a serious note however even the previous government was not committed to the project and it was just an election stunt by Zardari as he knew the next government won't be PPP and they will not continue with the project specially if Nawaz comes to power.

On a serious note however even the previous government was not committed to the project and it was just an election stunt by Zardari as he knew the next government won't be PPP and they will not continue with the project specially if Nawaz comes to power.

To please saudies destroy pakistan yeah PML_N is committed to pakistan.

After Iran US agreement, it was expected that this project will be completed soon. But now it seems that things have not changed much.

After Iran US agreement, it was expected that this project will be completed soon. But now it seems that things have not changed much.

Oh you thought PML_N works for pakistan

Will Pakistan pay the penalty according to the agreement??

Minister for Petroleum and Natural Resources Shahid Khaqan Abbasi informed the National Assembly on Monday that the Iran-Pakistan gas pipeline project was now off the table.

NOW "off the table"? It was never ON the table, ever, realistically speaking.

We never had the money for this project to begin with. PML-N is gonna take some serious heat.

We never had the money for this project to begin with. PML-N is gonna take some serious heat.

If that is true, why did Pakistan sign the penalty clause? I think the intent was there initially, but got lost due to pressure.

As for the point that there was no money for the project, I find that hard to believe. I mean, it would have brought in a lot of economic development and would have been a fantastic investment. Make no mistake, it would have been immensely beneficial for Pakistan, had it happened - especially given the crippling energy shortage.

If that is true, why did Pakistan sign the penalty clause? I think the intent was there initially, but got lost due to pressure.

As for the point that there was no money for the project, I find that hard to believe. I mean, it would have brought in a lot of economic development and would have been a fantastic investment. Make no mistake, it would have been immensely beneficial for Pakistan, had it happened - especially given the crippling energy shortage.

PPP brownie points mostly. This deal no matter how important wasnt viable from the get go. This is our bane in political leaders. No love for country, just to pile their pockets with ill gotten wealth. I see no such thing in India no matter how corrupt leaders are.

Sher kya karey when you have brotherly muslim countries watching (whacking) your back.
I dont think Pakistan is ready to accept 2 million Pakistanis back, a glimpse of which was shown to us few months back by SA

Sher kya karey when you have brotherly muslim countries watching (whacking) your back.
I dont think Pakistan is ready to accept 2 million Pakistanis back, a glimpse of which was shown to us few months back by SA

For how long will you allow your foreign policy to be dictated by other countries?
I dont think Nawaz or for that matter the previous government did give a damn about those Pakistanis, it has more to do with the fact that Nawaz needs a bargaining chip and a place to stay. He hasn't changed a bit and doesn't want to annoy Saudi Arabia in case he gets booted out "AGAIN"

Pakistan has been talking big = Iran Oil Pipeline and Coal in Sindh, export of its Tanks and its aircraft since 5 years.....what happened?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom