What's new

Sharif govt puts Iran pipeline 'off the table'.

Well that doesn't satisfy anything but perhaps ego?
No. It means when Pakistan's neighbours are able to purchase energy from Iran and pay via normal banking systems - on account of lessening of sanctions, then why cant Pakistan.

It means the reason given by Pakistani leadership is bull$hit.

Can you explain to other simple people of the forum including myself what you mean?
He has explicitly made claims about banking system being used for settlements. For which he has nothing to back.

It's hard to know what to believe in this whole mess...

Iran gas pipeline not in favour of Pakistan: report - DAWN.COM

“We have an agreement with Iran that we will buy gas for $15/ MMBTU. However, Turkmenistan is supplying gas to Japan at a rate of $4/ MMBTU,” he said.

Now, I am sure Japan is getting some sort of volume discount from Turkmenistan, but such a price differential seems a bit much!

It's hard to know what to believe in this whole mess...

Iran gas pipeline not in favour of Pakistan: report - DAWN.COM

“We have an agreement with Iran that we will buy gas for $15/ MMBTU. However, Turkmenistan is supplying gas to Japan at a rate of $4/ MMBTU,” he said.

Now, I am sure Japan is getting some sort of volume discount from Turkmenistan, but such a price differential seems a bit much!

I think those people familiar with the agreement know that it was written many long years ago and gas prices were relatively high in international market at that time and we would have to write a new pricing agreement if we want the pipeline construction to go ahead. This is why it is a bit illogical of those people who write very very long term agreements from the buyer's side. Seller has no incentive to write a good agreement.

We never had the money for this project to begin with. PML-N is gonna take some serious heat.
Right! Two reasons. One is as you've brought out above. The other is that KSA has ordered Pakistan to stop the project or else lose the millions of dollars in aid.

And there are few sanctions against Iran now, most of which have been lifted. The decision, which was made by European foreign ministers at a meeting in Brussels, allows Iran to resume critical exports of oil and gas. (India has already resumed full imports of oil from Iran to previous levels).

Pakistan knows well that its cash cow - the US of A - would not be providing the funds it used to earlier due to the draw-down. It would be KSA henceforth. So the Saudis have to be kept in good humor for fear of losing free aid worth millions of dollars. I should say it's good politics, but bad economics as the worst affected would be the people of Pakistan and its industries.

We Pakistanis are losers.

Today our enemies are happy and our friends are laughing at our stupidity.

It is not the first time, nor will it be the last, unfortunately. Unless, of course, if we begin to learn from our mistakes, but we have shown a distinct obstinacy in not doing so.

Pakistan knows well that its cash cow - the US of A - would not be providing the funds it used to earlier due to the draw-down. It would be KSA henceforth. So the Saudis have to be kept in good humor for fear of losing free aid worth millions of dollars. I should say it's good politics, but bad economics as the worst affected would be the people of Pakistan and its industries.

I could never have said it so aptly as OrionHunter did. OrionHunter is our wise Indian friend.

I think those people familiar with the agreement know that it was written many long years ago and gas prices were relatively high in international market at that time and we would have to write a new pricing agreement if we want the pipeline construction to go ahead. This is why it is a bit illogical of those people who write very very long term agreements from the buyer's side. Seller has no incentive to write a good agreement.

According to the linked article,

“Pakistan can also negotiate the gas price with Iran under Clause 6.3 of the agreement,”

Perhaps the negotiations didn't work out and the deal fell through. Again, without knowing what's going on in the background, it's hard to conclude anything.

Why are you people crying anyway? we have always been a client State of USA but now Saudis have bought their rights from USA to own us. We will have to bow to our superior Arab masters, they are true Muslims not us dark skinned Hindu converts to Islam.

Foreign Policy is indeed written in Riyadh but either way it was not as if the Gas was being offered for free. It was pretty expensive per unit and no one wanted to fund our side of pipeline. Also this time around the year, terrorists in Baluchistan have been blowing stuff up so it would have been difficult to protect those resources in the first place

yes and importing via peaceful Afghanistan is off course a better option plus not to mention it will be free?
since most of our power producing units run on oil when do we expect top see free oil flowing out of Arabia?
when do u think we will see GCC hand over all the BLA and other terrorist leaders residing in their countries?

saudies through out Pakistanis who were their to make a living Pakistan government puts and end to pipe line that would have created 1000s of jobs and sustained 1000s to please saudies dont u see any thing wrong with that.

Oh yes. As long as it is about Iran.

pipe line was about pakistan and her future and current energy needs.

Why are you people crying anyway? we have always been a client State of USA but now Saudis have bought their rights from USA to own us. We will have to bow to our superior Arab masters, they are true Muslims not us dark skinned Hindu converts to Islam.

The 'true Muslims' are not Arabians, but the ones who sit in the White House. That's where the KSA policies originate from, and are subsequently tested on the people of Pakistan.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom