What's new

Shaurya, a cruise missile?!!!!!!!

^^^^^
Can you please explain what is a semi-cruise missile??? seems like lot of confusion on what exactly Shourya is...

- A ballistic missile
- A cruise missile
- A missile having features of both ballistic(as shourya has solid fuel) as well as cruise missile(as shourya never leaves earth atmosphere and can manoeuvre)

Shaurya is hybrid of both.

It has a trajectory mix of both cruise and ballistic missile hence highly unpredictable as no country have this kind of hybrid missile. It is done to make it undefendable by enemy's defense.

we can say its new type of unique missile.

Here is a graph from an old article by Arun S.

Hope this helps!

Note:

Mk-4: For light weight 17Kt Fusion Boosted
Fission (FBF) Mass ~ 180 kg
Mk-5: For 50Kt FBF or 200Kt Thermo Nuclear
(TN) warhead Mass: ~340 Kg
Mk-6: For 150Kt FBF warhead. Mass: ~550 Kg.

Shaurya is hybrid of both.

It has a trajectory mix of both cruise and ballistic missile hence highly unpredictable as no country have this kind of hybrid missile. It is done to make it undefendable by enemy's defense.

we can say its new type of unique missile.

Not unique. DF21D designed for targeting a moving aircraft carrier tested 5 years ago.

and few others made by russia and the US..

Last edited:
and how does a hybrid missile work

like a ballistic missile following a sub-orbital ballistic flightpath
or like cruise missile with change of course feature

and how come if it has a range of just 750 km it can reach cinese cities from indian ocean

Not unique. DF21D designed for targeting a moving aircraft carrier tested 5 years ago.

Could you provide a source for the said test? Was it tested against a target moving at 30+ knots? I would appreciate a verifiable source.

thanks!

Could you provide a source for the said test? Was it tested against a target moving at 30+ knots? I would appreciate a verifiable source.

thanks!

Don't know how fast the moving target, but it's designed for shooting moving target meaning it doesn't follow the usual ballistic trajectory.

Many sources out there: jane, strategycentre, fas, etc..

Just found on youtube....SY-400 also doesn't follow the parabolic trajectory

*ttp://www.hainan-car.com/bps/attachments/200811/iEmn_SY400.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
There are other non chinese systems as well.... I can think of Hades system, The russian Tochka, Oka and Iskander systems as well as US ATACM.
I was curious about the DF-21 test as I have heard a lot of stories but never came across any report of tests! I would appreciate if you could provide a credible link which talks about the said test (Against moving target). Then again given the state of affairs with everything Chinese, I would not be shocked if there are no such reports!

thanks!

China has developed the world's only anti-ship ballistic missile. It has successfully developed and tested the DF-21 anti-ship ballistic missile, with a range of up to 3,000 kilometres (1,900 mi) or more, in 2005, according to the US Department of Defense. It is estimated to have reached initial operating capability in 2007 or 2008. It is thought that it is still in an evolutionary process as more UAV and satellites are added.[2] The DF-21 anti-ship ballistic missile is expected to enter active service by 2009.[3][4]

*ttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-ship_ballistic_missile

DOD report - Military Power of the PRC 2008
*ttp://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/middle_east_and_asia/china_military_power_2008.pdf

The DOD report does not talk about any test (Apart from the ASAT test). It talks about the continued development of area denial systems including the said (DF-21) system. Anyhow, I would not expect a report as I have myself spent quite some time trying to find a credible source to no avail! I guess we will know when they decide to sink our carriers!! :rolleyes:

^^^^^
Can you please explain what is a semi-cruise missile??? seems like lot of confusion on what exactly Shourya is...

- A ballistic missile
- A cruise missile
- A missile having features of both ballistic(as shourya has solid fuel) as well as cruise missile(as shourya never leaves earth atmosphere and can manoeuvre)

Third one is correct! As 'Joseph' said it is not a ballistic nor a cruise missile. It has variable flight paths.

I have tried to figure it out in a rough way.... :sniper:

f69f177525ec39efba20f126e67de821.jpg

You are comparing MRLS with Shourya?!! :what:

both are hot-dog rocket for targeting ground. SY-400 doesn't have the same flight path as other other rockets, like the one DRDO are boasting that's new kind..

Missiles are launched vertically and have a range of about 400 km. The SY-400 can use different types of warheads.

Missiles are fitted with GPS/INS guidance system. They are steered to the intended target in the initial flight phase by four control surfaces and stabilizing fins. Missile uses low lowering rate to extend the range. Multiple missiles can be aimed at different targets.
SY-400 Short-Range Ballistic Missile | Military-Today.com

this is the modified df-21 flight path

*ttp://www.jamestown.org/programs/chinabrief/single/?tx_ttnews[tt_news]=35171&tx_ttnews[backPid]=25&cHash=31ceb95794

Last edited:
Guys ...be on topic...no need to satisfy that troll by responding him and derailing the thread.............

Back
Top Bottom