What's new

Ship carrying 80,000 ton coal berthed at Matarbari deep sea port.

Homo Sapiens

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Biggest ship so far in the history of Bangladesh berthed in it's port. Thanks to construction of Matarbari deep sea port. Unloading time will reduce from 1 month to mere 2-3 days with massive cost savings. This ship is 230 meters long and has 14.5 meters draft.

Last edited:
Biggest ship so far in the history of Bangladesh berthed in it's port. Thanks to construction of Matarbari deep sea port. Unloading time will reduce from 1 month to mere 2-3 days with massive cost savings. This ship is 230 meters long and has 14.5 meters draft.

Well no wonder people at dockside are in a festive mood. A first in Bangladesh history (of any port here) and certainly a watershed and milestone moment.

I wish Komol De (reporter) would turn down his rampant screaming - so we could relish the moment a bit more. This guy does not need a megaphone for sure.

Last edited:
Matarbari will partially substitute Singapore Port. I would like to say a few words on the selection of Matarbari as the venue of the Deep Seaport.

Japan's Nippon or Nihon Koei, a port & harbor-related civil engineering company, was given the contract to survey the depths of the Sea in a large part of the BoB. It prepared the seabed contour maps based on which Matarbari was selected.

Ocean-going large mother vessels will anchor here and smaller Coasters will take delivery of the goods to be shipped to CTG Port, Payra Port, and Mongla Port for deliveries inside BD and to Kolkata Port, Indian NE, Nepal, Bhutan, and probably a few Indian east coast ports.

I believe Burma will also take benefits out of Matarbari port and its smaller coasters would take delivery of goods for its many destinations.

Business is business. So, I do not cherish Japan and USA together resisting Chinese Kunming areas using this port via Burma. BD will get a huge material benefit from China using this port.

Last edited:
The dude sounds like someone has lit a fire under his @$$. I was worried he might end up igniting the coal.

I don't think he can help it. He should have a byline: "Screaming since 2012!"

If you watch some of his old reporting (any Chittagong related news on that channel) you'll see what I mean - he was even louder back then. :-)

I don't think he can help it. He should have a byline: "Screaming since 2012!"

If you watch some of his old reporting (any Chittagong related news on that channel) you'll see what I mean - he was even louder back then. :-)
There is probably high ambient sound.
It is great news.
These are panamex class vessels, certainly not the biggest ones needing more depth, but good enough for most import and export.

Last edited:
There is probably quite high ambient sound.
It is great news.
These are panamex class vessels, certainly not the biggest ones needing more depth, but good enough for most import and export.

Even post Panamax class does not need more than say 15 meters which is what this ship (that just berthed) has and Matarbari allows.

post-panamex-ships.png

Upto HandyMax Panamax and Neo Panamax 15 m draft is common (upto 100,000 DWT) which is fine for Matarbari. Beyond that you have Very Large and Ultra Large Ore Carriers (also ChinaMax bulkers) of more than 400,000 DWT which have draft ranging from 19m all the way up to 24m depth. These will need lightering to lighterage ships any how, because they will not be able to dock in most ports.

Last edited:
Even post Panamax class does not need more than say 15 meters which is what this one has and Matarbari allows.

post-panamex-ships.png

Upto HandyMax Panamax and Neo Panamax 15 m draft is common (upto 100,000 DWT) which is fine for Matarbari. Beyond that you have Very Large and Ultra Large Ore Carriers (also ChinaMax bulkers) of more than 400,000 DWT which have draft ranging from 19m all the way up to 24m depth. These will need lightering to lighterage ships any how, because they will not be able to dock in most ports.
15-20% savings in shipping cost and in most cases shipping time is reduced by 50% is huge by any measure.

15-20% savings in shipping cost and in most cases shipping time is reduced by 50% is huge by any measure.

Yup correct.

I'd still like to add that all jetties are not in operation yet (and neither is adjoining Matarbari SEZ which will be developed soon). Only two jetties are ready and I believe both are coal unloading specific. Container unloading jetties (and cranes for that purpose) are going to be added in due course.

Also - notice how Indians are chomping at the bit to utilize Matarbari.

Sheikh Hasina builds things for them to ease connectivity with the NorthWest Indian states (Padma Bridge, Bhanga-Narail-Jessore Railway, Rangpur Highway, Dhaka Sylhet six lane highway, planned Meghna bridge) and Indian expectation is that they will avail Bangladeshi infra services (for pretty much free) which we built at a cost of hundreds of Billions of dollars. Matarbari is also part of the same plan according to Indian narrative, we built it with our hard-earned money - only so Indians can use it.

It's like Indians own Bangladesh and it is their God-given right to exploit our resources and infra. This Adarsh Gupta guy is pandering to andh-bhakt feel-good emotion like India has a big part in the project (they don't have any part).

I really liked one Bangladeshi guy's informed comment in response to the video,

"The project is being financed 80% by Japan and 20% by Bangladesh. There are no Indian contractors or companies working on this project. Other than Japan, companies like POSCO and Hyundai E&C from Korea, GE from the USA, and Siemens AG from Germany are involved in this project. Therefore, this project cannot be considered an India-Japan project. The only link between India and this project is the pressure both countries, along with the USA, put on the government when Bangladesh attempted to build a different deep-sea port in Sonadia with China. And yeah you guys won. However, this project has a different story, and there is no link to India. The only link that I find is that Bangladesh and Japan are planning to to provide access to the northeast region of India while keeping the value chain in mind. The project also aims to connect Myanmar, Nepal, Bhutan, and the Rayong port of Thailand, under the Japanese flagship BIG-B and MIDI initiatives. Does that mean these countries also have a role in it?

The original and initial project was the Matarbari Coal Power Plant and a coal unloading port. Then, Japanese engineers discovered that the port could easily be converted into a deep-sea port since it was already 10 meters deep, and further dredging could turn it into a fully functional deep-sea port. Moreover, all of the previous locations that Bangladesh had considered for deep-sea ports had a similar problem of sediment accumulation. Therefore, even after developing a deep-sea port in another location, Bangladesh would have to spend a lot of money on dredging to clear the sediments. However, this location is unique since there is no major river flowing around it, and being just behind the sea gives this area a perfect location for a deep-sea port. The government is already developing an Economic and Industrial Zone near the Matarbari Coal Power Plant in Maheshkhali, and the nearest port was the Chittagong Port, which is still far from the SEZ. Consequently, the government asked the Japanese engineers if they could convert this port, originally used for coal unloading, into a deep-sea port. After conducting feasibility studies and research, they found that it was possible and feasible. The government then appointed a Japanese consortium consisting of Sumitomo Corporation, Toshiba Corporation, and IHI Corporation as the contractor of the project."

Hasina is doing far more damage to our economy by providing these infra opportunities to India for free than India itself could in a hundred years. We don't need to give India transit, NE states can provide us cheap raw materials. That is about all. Screw giving Indians permission to use our ports. Kanjoosis don't have the money and won't pay even if they did. Myanmar and China is a different story.

Last edited:
Yup correct.

I'd still like to add that all jetties are not in operation yet (and neither is adjoining Matarbari SEZ which will be developed soon). Only two jetties are ready and I believe both are coal unloading specific. Container unloading jetties (and cranes for that purpose) are going to be added in due course.

Sheikh Hasina builds things for them to ease connectivity with the NorthWest Indian states (Padma Bridge, Bhanga-Narail-Jessore Railway, Rangpur Highway, Dhaka Sylhet six lane highway, planned Meghna bridge) and Indian expectation is that they will avail Bangladeshi infra services (for pretty much free) which we built at a cost of hundreds of Billions of dollars. Matarbari is also part of the same plan according to Indian narrative, we built it with our hard-earned money - only so Indians can use it.

It's like Indians own Bangladesh and it is their God-given right to exploit our resources and infra. This Adarsh Gupta guy is pandering to andh-bhakt feel-good emotion like India has a big part in the project (they don't have any part).

I really liked one Bangladeshi guy's informed comment in response to the video,

"The project is being financed 80% by Japan and 20% by Bangladesh. There are no Indian contractors or companies working on this project. Other than Japan, companies like POSCO and Hyundai E&C from Korea, GE from the USA, and Siemens AG from Germany are involved in this project. Therefore, this project cannot be considered an India-Japan project. The only link between India and this project is the pressure both countries, along with the USA, put on the government when Bangladesh attempted to build a different deep-sea port in Sonadia with China. And yeah you guys won. However, this project has a different story, and there is no link to India. The only link that I find is that Bangladesh and Japan are planning to to provide access to the northeast region of India while keeping the value chain in mind. The project also aims to connect Myanmar, Nepal, Bhutan, and the Rayong port of Thailand, under the Japanese flagship BIG-B and MIDI initiatives. Does that mean these countries also have a role in it?

The original and initial project was the Matarbari Coal Power Plant and a coal unloading port. Then, Japanese engineers discovered that the port could easily be converted into a deep-sea port since it was already 10 meters deep, and further dredging could turn it into a fully functional deep-sea port. Moreover, all of the previous locations that Bangladesh had considered for deep-sea ports had a similar problem of sediment accumulation. Therefore, even after developing a deep-sea port in another location, Bangladesh would have to spend a lot of money on dredging to clear the sediments. However, this location is unique since there is no major river flowing around it, and being just behind the sea gives this area a perfect location for a deep-sea port. The government is already developing an Economic and Industrial Zone near the Matarbari Coal Power Plant in Maheshkhali, and the nearest port was the Chittagong Port, which is still far from the SEZ. Consequently, the government asked the Japanese engineers if they could convert this port, originally used for coal unloading, into a deep-sea port. After conducting feasibility studies and research, they found that it was possible and feasible. The government then appointed a Japanese consortium consisting of Sumitomo Corporation, Toshiba Corporation, and IHI Corporation as the contractor of the project."

Hasina is doing far more damage to our economy by providing these infra opportunities to India for free than India itself could in a hundred years. We don't need to give India transit, NE states can provide us cheap raw materials. That is about all. Screw giving Indians permission to use our ports. Kanjoosis don't have the money and won't pay even if they did. Myanmar and China is a different story.
Let them beat their 56" chest. The YouTuber gotta make some money on this nothing burger topic.
This is a much needed project.

Let them beat their 56" chest. The YouTuber gotta make some money on this nothing burger topic.
This is a much needed project.

Empty chest-beating is the be-all and end-all of Bhakt life nowadays. Thanks to Godi media etc.

You are talking about how India profits when Matarbari is ours. I give you one example. You open a small shop/ store and open it three days a week. Do you think the business will flourish to its potential?

No, it will incur operating and manpower losses because you pay full rent and make full monthly payments to your staff. It is the same with Matarbari. It must be used fully to its potentiality to earn money and pay back the loans.

This is why it needs more and more businesses. Indian NE, Kolkata, Nepal, Bhutan, Indian east coast, Burma, and also China's middle south centered on Kunming.

The Singapore Port has only a transshipment business, but few land or water transport businesses. But, BD will also get transport businesses through land and water to transport goods to and from the regions I mentioned.

I can foresee a tremendous amount of economic activities centered on Matarbari that will propel BD to a fast-developing country. And, now unlink Indian businesses, and you get a big ZERO in the minus figure.

So, please do not suggest opening a shop for a limited three days a week that will incur losses.

Indiaphobia has nothing to do with our own national economic solvency and security.

You are talking about how India profits when Matarbari is ours. I give you one example. You open a small shop/ store and open it three days a week. Do you think the business will flourish to its potential?

No, it will incur operating and manpower losses because you pay full rent and make full monthly payments to your staff. It is the same with Matarbari. It must be used fully to its potentiality to earn money and pay back the loans.

This is why it needs more and more businesses. Indian NE, Kolkata, Nepal, Bhutan, Indian east coast, Burma, and also China's middle south centered on Kunming.

The Singapore Port has only a transshipment business, but few land or water transport businesses. But, BD will also get transport businesses through land and water to transport goods to and from the regions I mentioned.

I can foresee a tremendous amount of economic activities centered on Matarbari that will propel BD to a fast-developing country. And, now unlink Indian businesses, and you get a big ZERO in the minus figure.

So, please do not suggest opening a shop for a limited three days a week that will incur losses.

Indiaphobia has nothing to do with our own national economic solvency and security.

I was not being India-phobic. Apni amar philosophy bojhen nai.

However - apnar dharona jey amra Indian der thekey onek poisha transit ar port use er jonno pabo - eta thik na.

Our interests should be to add value ourselves to Indian raw materials (clinker, timber, agri products) before exporting it using our ports.

Instead of letting Indians add value in India and then use our port to export finished products for free (which is what will happen, just watch).

Indians have planned this decades ago, amader mathar upor kanthal bhengey khabey. Oder nature e eita. Japanese der convince korsey.

Amra hundreds of Billions khoroch korey infra improve korbo ar ora "free" tey use korbey.

Business is business.

We add value - we make money. Our people (irrespective of being Hindu or Muslim) eat.

We let Indians add value (and make finished products) in NE India, then we don't.

They get to keep the profit and benefits, without investing one futa paisa (if we let them use our ports, which are already overloaded and being used for our exports).

There is no reason we should help Indians develop their NE industrially and export through our ports.

Indian NE should be a source of raw materials FOR Bangladesh, plain and simple. We will add value and Export.

Last edited:
Indian NE should be a source of raw materials FOR Bangladesh, plain and simple. We will add value and Export.
Japan is certainly thinking in a similar way as above. NE is landlocked that cannot be entered without support from Chittagong by land or river. So, the NE development will be limited to supplying raw materials to BD.

I personally do not want any BD industrialist invests there. Assamese are Bengaliphobia. But, I was talking about the benefits BD will get by opening the ports to Assam for its import from other countries or exports.

And India must pay the usual fees for the use of our ports, lands, and water.

This is how BD gets money from them and repays the big construction expenses to Japan. This is true for all areas/ countries in the region which may also include China and Burma.

And India must pay the usual fees for the use of our ports, lands, and water.

This is how BD gets money from them and repays the big construction expenses to Japan. This is true for all areas/ countries in the region which may also include China and Burma.

That is a huge question mark. Indians - if they can help it, will not pay even 10% of our fees. Closer to "nothing" is their target.

So - if you open up the ports for them to use, they will muscle in showing all kinds of threats etc.

Just watch and see what happens.

This is well-proven.

The members of our chambers in Dhaka and Ctg. (some of whom are some of my very close friends) have been doing business with Indian folks.

Experience is not good. Compare that with our business people doing business with Chinese businessfolks.

I am guessing you don't have experience doing business with Indians.

In most cases the one-sided selfishness of Indian business' people is so obvious - it's laughable. Cheating and fraud are their hallmarks to a large degree.

Ask @beijingwalker brother about Chinese companies' experience of doing business with Indians.

It's well-known what Indian business principles are. They always want something for nothing.....

Back
Top Bottom