What's new

SHTF GUNS

MilSpec

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
SHTF Weaponry

Before we discuss the weapon systems, for the ones alien to term SHTF – It stands for $hit hits the fan, what it essentially means is “dire circumstances”, there are several interpretation based on locations and nationalities of SHTF. The situations for SHTF ranges from the more logical state wide power outages(extended times), suspension of emergency services, natural disasters, mass terror attacks, civil riots, collapse of government or even circumstances as seen in Syria, Libya etc. to the extreme bizarre concepts of apocalypse, zombies etc based on the vivid imaginations of individuals.

SHTF is a popular term in US and originates from emergency preparedness, which includes food, shelter, security, and to an extent comfort. The firearms especially in US pertain to security and food (hunting).

This thread and subsequent discussion will pertain to civilian firearms that can serve certain purposes of security, training and hunting for emergency preparedness. (so please don’t post Gatling guns and Gau-8 Avenger like stuff)

.22 Caliber Semi auto Rifles.

Primary Role: Hunting small game
Secondary role: Training Rifle/ security

Although game is widespread in the north American continent, tracking large game or even hunting one in emergency situation without the comforts of the packed meals in the hunters bag as we enjoy in these days might become extremely scarce. The solution lies in small game, and if you have ever seen what a 5.56 x 45 does to squirrel, you exactly know what I am talking about. .22 cal rifles are quiet, light and the ideal firearm for hunting small game and hence are extremely popular with the prepping community.

The secondary role of the .22 semi cal rifle can be training, shooting is a perishable skill, and .22 cal makes the upkeep of this skill affordable. Also due to almost zero recoil, it is an ideal choice for individuals with smaller frame size to train on. Security aspect of .22 cal draws a lot of heat due to it’s inherent size, but in my opinion within 75 yards, this is an extremely potent system especially on semi auto variants. Sure a .22 cal hit won’t drop a belligerent down, but I bet 10 of these shots would. Due to extremely low recoil follow up shots on a .22 are faster than any other semi auto system. In the right hands, a semi auto version can squeeze 10 rounds within the forehead of human size target at 50 yards. That to me is a pretty nifty secondary security rifle.
Popular rifles for use

Ruger 10/22 Semi auto rifle
Ruger10-22_zps6be69534.jpg

Marlin 795 Semi auto rifle
NewMarlin795_zps8c0e6f67.jpg

Marlin Model 60 semi auto (Tubefed)
marlin60_zps58ec37f2.jpg

Mossberg 702 Plinkster
702ARPC0413_zps6e98f09d.jpg

Mossberg715T
Mossberg715T_zpsd8e62288.jpg

@Aeronaut, @RescueRanger , @DESERT FIGHTER, @Ghareeb_Da_Baal

Shotguns to Follow

Last edited by a moderator:
Shotgun System 12G/ 16G/ 20G

Primary Role: Home Security
Secondary Role: Bird hunting, Medium Sized Game.

Shotguns are very versatile platforms and have a wide variety of uses. Pump action shotguns are inexpensive light and can have been quite famous in the pop culture. The popular actions for shotguns are pump action, semi-auto, break barrel and lever action. Due to the shot/pellet distribution of the muzzle function, it is relatively easy to hit, and extremely lethal at close ranges. The variety of shot and slug sizes make shotguns an extremely lethal offensive weapon when yielded by trained hands.

Hunting: with a simple swap of barrel and choke, you can configure the shot gun from a security to hunting role, birds are abundant and avenues to hunt birds gives you a fighting chance of putting food on the table. Almost all Shotguns have smooth bore barrels, hence to fire a bullet like projectile, a specific shotshell called “slug” is used, where the rifling is in the casing of the shot shell, which provides the initial twist to the shell in the direction of the target stabilizing the round. 12G Shot Slugs have known to down a deer upto 100 yards.

Popular Shotguns
Remington 870
Remington870_zps006320e2.jpg

Mossberg 500
mossberg_500_zps2c3c6d16.jpg

Winchester 1887
Winchester1887_zps3a34f300.jpg

Browning BPS
browningBPSl_zps61328403.jpg

H&R Pardner 12G pump action
HRpardner_zps7ba61595.jpg

The Molot Vepr is a better version for the Saiga 12. Better version as personally it has a bit of better machining and less FTE's. Not sure about the difference in price between those 2 but it is on my wish list and should be my very next in things to get.

@sandy_3126 ur views on the vepr shotgun?

Vepr 12G is "awesome" and I know that Awesome is the most redundant word used in this world but any AK based 12 G is "100% pure awesomeness". Personally I am not a big fan of shot guns and when it comes to buying one I am king of El-Cheapo in this department, that why i own an extremely economical pump action 12G, but If I was running a 3 gun event, I don't think any other shotgun in the world can come close to a Molot Vepr, or a well crafted Saiga 12G.

If you ask old school shotty enthusiast's they will sing praises of their "grandpa" styled hand crafted over and under's and Semi-Auto's but there is a new breed of shooters that are waking up and noticing the heavy receiver AK platform shotgun, (saiga and VEPR). I had a co-worker who was running a 3 gun competition setup with a glock/Saiga 12 G/larue AR, he had great things to say about the 12G. I personally haven't shot one, but your question has now implanted a bug in my head now :)

Now if I was to buy one, I would probably choose the Saiga 12 G to upgrade it to my reqs, but VEPR 12 is straight out of the box rock and roll.

Vepr 12G is "awesome" and I know that Awesome is the most redundant word used in this world but any AK based 12 G is "100% pure awesomeness". Personally I am not a big fan of shot guns and when it comes to buying one I am king of El-Cheapo in this department, that why i own an extremely economical pump action 12G, but If I was running a 3 gun event, I don't think any other shotgun in the world can come close to a Molot Vepr, or a well crafted Saiga 12G.

If you ask old school shotty enthusiast's they will sing praises of their "grandpa" styled hand crafted over and under's and Semi-Auto's but there is a new breed of shooters that are waking up and noticing the heavy receiver AK platform shotgun, (saiga and VEPR). I had a co-worker who was running a 3 gun competition setup with a glock/Saiga 12 G/larue AR, he had great things to say about the 12G. I personally haven't shot one, but your question has now implanted a bug in my head now :)

Now if I was to buy one, I would probably choose the Saiga 12 G to upgrade it to my reqs, but VEPR 12 is straight out of the box rock and roll.

Whats the price tag in the states? here its 130+K rps.

Bolt Action system

Primary Role : Hunting
Secondary Role : Long range marksmanship

Bolt action rifles have been the traditional hunting rifles; their accuracy reliability and the huge variety of choice of calibers make them favorites for the hunter across the boards. Bolt actions rifles also due to the inherent nature of a solid a lug lock with bolt closure provides a simple and extremely accurate platform for all rifle calibers. Bolt action rifles are used to take down small game to the largest largest game, from calibers ranging from .177 to .415 express and everything in between.

Bolt actions rifles usually mated with optical scopes and in certain calibers like 7mm, 7.62 x 51, 30 06, 7.62 x 54R can make excellent sniper rifles. In SHTF situation where individuals need long range shooting solution to protect farms or ranches, bolt action rifles mated with optical scopes are ideal solutions.
Few popular Bolt action rifles:

Remington 700

Remington700_zps37166ba3.jpg

Savage FCNS
Savage_zps5bf04ab7.jpg

Ruger Scout
Rugerscout_zps57972989.jpg

Marlin X7 Series
marlin_zps57561a26.jpg

Weatherby Vanguard

Weatherbyvanguard_zpsb43ec8cd.jpg

Semi Auto Rifle– Intermediate cartridge

Primary Role: Security/ Point Defense (scaled term)
Secondary role: Hunting

All About Firearms, Ammunition and Survival Equipment!: Semi Auto Rifle– Intermediate cartridge

Semi auto intermediate cartridge systems are do it all system, it can take down medium sized game, large magazines lets you fire follow up shots and relatively faster actions lets you lay defensive fire if needed, light weight lets you carry it with ease over extended period of times. In other words these are absolute game changers when it comes to civilian arms. Intermediate calibers have found popularity among countries that do-not subscribe to the NPB standards of commonwealth countries. 5.56N, 7.62N 5.45 x39 and 7.62x39 are widely in use on civilian semi auto’s in the US and some european countries. Some specialized calibers like 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC, .300 AAC blackout are also rapidly gaining popularity.

Popular platforms

AR 15
Stag2wi_.jpg

AKM
AK_47_by_NdotL.jpg

Ruger Mini 14
Mini14ARmod.jpg

PTR 91/ Semiauto G3
G3-sg1-1.jpg

Semi Auto FAL
fal_10_zps9dcbaacc.jpg

Saiga Semi Auto
saigatacticalstock.jpg

http://firearmsreview.blogspot.com/2013/09/semi-auto-rifle-intermediate-cartridge.html

@sandy_3126 is the Saiga more reliable than the Vepr?

@sandy_3126 is the Saiga more reliable than the Vepr?
Reliability, both will survive till the end of time, but when it comes to precision and engineering quality Saiga's are poorman's ak based hunting rifle, whereas Vepr's are separate line of hunting rifles derived from dragonuv svd based engineering. Vepr are better built than saiga's, I personally haven't liked the saiga's all that, but a saiga chambered in .308 is on my radar.

Pistol cartridge Semi auto carbine:

All About Firearms, Ammunition and Survival Equipment!: Pistol cartridge Semi auto carbine:

Primary role: Security

Off late, semi auto carbines in pistol cartridge has gained immense popularity. As the name suggests, this system uses popular calibers like 9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP cartridges, thus the user can consolidate the sidearm ammunition for a 100 yard range shooting solution without having to add another platform/caliber for the purpose. Two main varieties include carbine kit upgrade for side arms such as glock, M9 or the stand alone systems like Hi Point, Keltec sub 2000’s and AR carbines. Due to their small size and light weight, these make ideal camp site rifles or bag pack rifles.

Few popular examples

Glock Carbine kit,

921183_zps61db5de8.jpg

Hi point

hipocarbine_zps75c56724.jpg

CX storm

cxstorm_zps83841b1a.png

Keltec sub2000

kel_su2000_zpsa7cfce46.jpg

All About Firearms, Ammunition and Survival Equipment!: Pistol cartridge Semi auto carbine:

Reliability, both will survive till the end of time, but when it comes to precision and engineering quality Saiga's are poorman's ak based hunting rifle, whereas Vepr's are separate line of hunting rifles derived from dragonuv svd based engineering. Vepr are better built than saiga's, I personally haven't liked the saiga's all that, but a saiga chambered in .308 is on my radar.
The saigas are well built and pretty accurate for an ak but the only problem as you know is converting the original to look like the ak's you see in the movies. I believe installing a bullet guide is unnecessary if your just going to the range and what not.

My AR 15

My 12 Gauge semi auto and AR15
Range tomorrow

Attachments

• 13EED281-C07D-49F3-9E49-D24FEFC65DAD.jpeg
    13EED281-C07D-49F3-9E49-D24FEFC65DAD.jpeg
    77.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 8D280245-EBAC-48D6-B00E-5F21BB272F22.jpeg
    8D280245-EBAC-48D6-B00E-5F21BB272F22.jpeg
    71.6 KB · Views: 17
  • C1535D65-CB86-47B4-A2F4-F5390792617A.jpeg
    C1535D65-CB86-47B4-A2F4-F5390792617A.jpeg