What's new

Sikh To Death, a War nerd's tribute to Sikh warriors

true..my entire point was no one group was the greatest.Different ppl have different opinions.

The reason why there are no histories of Tamil-Mughal wars is that they were mostly skirmished in wich the Mughlas were soundly repulsed.

Actually I couldn get any English source for u to read but I come to know this as it exists in our literature.

True..

Let me know in case you find one. Would be an interesting and a rare read.

@ Rajput Warrior - Majority of Sikhs are Rajput Jatt.

Sidhu's and seven sub-clans:

1. Brar
2. Harike
3. Bhaike
4. Pirkotiye
5. Rosse
6. Jaid
7. Manoke

are also Rajputs, are rich landlords and farmers, and they were one of the earliest Jatt clans.

In Pakistan Sidhus, are found throughout central Punjab, with special concenterations in Kasur, Okara, Faisalabad and Lahore Districts.

Most Sidhu jatts in Pakistan follow Islam and most Sidhu jatts in India are Sikh.

Populare Surnames - Sidhu or Chaudhary

Well I'd say its both. The Gurus' efforts and the ingrained fighting spirit in the Punjabis. Porus was a Punjabi. The region had been settled by people that came via invasions. The Aryans, Indo-Greeks, The Kushans, the Scythians. There was bound to be a warrior like nature passed down via genes.

I'm not saying that they were not warriors above average. It's just that I believe the gurus were that one thing which made them warriors way above average!

Last edited:
@ Rajput Warrior - Majority of Sikhs are Rajput Jatt.

Sidhu's and seven sub-clans:

1. Brar
2. Harike
3. Bhaike
4. Pirkotiye
5. Rosse
6. Jaid
7. Manoke

are also Rajputs, are rich landlords and farmers, and they were one of the earliest Jatt clans.

In Pakistan Sidhus, are found throughout central Punjab, with special concenterations in Kasur, Okara, Faisalabad and Lahore Districts.

Most Sidhu jatts in Pakistan follow Islam and most Sidhu jatts in India are Sikh.

Populare Surnames - Sidhu or Chaudhary

The surnames you have listed are of the Jatts and not Rajputs. The Jatts are of a mixed Indo-Aryan (mainly Rajput) and Sycthian (Central Asian) stock. They are genetically very similar to the Rajputs but are classified as a different genetic and ethnic group. And as you rightly pointed out, many of the Jatt tribes are off-shoots of the Rajput tribes but are now classified as Jatts.

I'm not saying that they were not warriors above average. It's just that I believe the gurus were that one thing which made them warriors way above average!

As a Sikh, Punjabi and a Jatt I wouldn't want ti disagree with that.;)

@ RobbieS -

HIstory of Sidhu and Brar Clan Origin and history

Sidhus are the descendants of Bhatti Rajputs[1]. They claim Yaduvanshi descent. At one time, the Bhattis ruled over the lands of Northern India, Pakistan and Afghanistan, from Mathura to Ghazni. Ghazni and Lahore were seized by the king of Bukhara (in today's Uzbekistan) after a long period. The Bhattis migrated and settled in the area of Bhatner (Hanumangarh in present-day northern Rajasthan).

Devraj, Jaisal, and Hemraj

A Bhatti chieftain named Devraj founded Devgarh. Rao Jaisal from his lineage was a renowned king who founded the state of Jaisalmer in Rajasthan. His son, Rao Hemraj had a dispute with his brothers which led to his settlement in Hisar in 1180.

When Mohammed of Ghor invaded India, he was given maximum support by Rao Hemraj and his followers. Rao Hemraj was rewarded with the control of the Sirsa, Hisar and Bathinda areas. Rao Hemraj built a fort in Hisar. He ousted the Panwar Rajputs from the area of Muktsar. He died in 1214.

Jondhar, Mangal Rao, and Khiva Rao

Rao Hemraj's son Jondhar had twenty-one sons, each of whom founded a new clan. One of his grandsons, Mangal Rao, rebelled against the Delhi government, but was killed. Khiva Rao, a grandson of Mangal Rao, had no issue. He married a girl from a Sarao Jat family. He was discared by his community and built Khiva Khota.

Sidhu

Khiva Rao sired Sidhu Rao in around 1250[2]. Sidhu Rao's descendants merged back with the Jat community. Sidhu is the founder of the Sidhu Clan.

Sidhu was also married into a Gill Jat tribe. He sired six sons from this marriage:

* Dahar's descendants are know as Bhaike of Kainthal and Jhumba.
* Dhar's descendants are know as Pirkotias.
* Roop's progeny are Rosse of the village of Tehna in Faridkot.
* Suro's progeny are know as Meharmia.
* Mano's descendants are settled in Malkana and Naurang villages and known as Manokes.
* Bhura's descendants are known as Harikas and Brars.
* Hari Rao was born in the family of Sita Rao, the elder son of Bhura. He was the founder of the Harkike Sidhu branch. Kaonke, Attari, Harike and Fattanke belong to this lineage. They are not of Brar lineage.
* Jarth, the second son of Sita Rao, sired Brar who founded the Brar Clan.

Thus, Sidhus have nine sub-clans:

1. Brar
2. Harike
3. Bhaike
4. Pirkotiye
5. Rosse
6. Jaid
7. Manoke
8. Bains
9. Johl

@ RobbieS -

HIstory of Sidhu and Brar Clan Origin and history

Sidhus are the descendants of Bhatti Rajputs[1]. They claim Yaduvanshi descent. At one time, the Bhattis ruled over the lands of Northern India, Pakistan and Afghanistan, from Mathura to Ghazni. Ghazni and Lahore were seized by the king of Bukhara (in today's Uzbekistan) after a long period. The Bhattis migrated and settled in the area of Bhatner (Hanumangarh in present-day northern Rajasthan).

Devraj, Jaisal, and Hemraj

A Bhatti chieftain named Devraj founded Devgarh. Rao Jaisal from his lineage was a renowned king who founded the state of Jaisalmer in Rajasthan. His son, Rao Hemraj had a dispute with his brothers which led to his settlement in Hisar in 1180.

When Mohammed of Ghor invaded India, he was given maximum support by Rao Hemraj and his followers. Rao Hemraj was rewarded with the control of the Sirsa, Hisar and Bathinda areas. Rao Hemraj built a fort in Hisar. He ousted the Panwar Rajputs from the area of Muktsar. He died in 1214.

Jondhar, Mangal Rao, and Khiva Rao

Rao Hemraj's son Jondhar had twenty-one sons, each of whom founded a new clan. One of his grandsons, Mangal Rao, rebelled against the Delhi government, but was killed. Khiva Rao, a grandson of Mangal Rao, had no issue. He married a girl from a Sarao Jat family. He was discared by his community and built Khiva Khota.

Sidhu

Khiva Rao sired Sidhu Rao in around 1250[2]. Sidhu Rao's descendants merged back with the Jat community. Sidhu is the founder of the Sidhu Clan.

Sidhu was also married into a Gill Jat tribe. He sired six sons from this marriage:

* Dahar's descendants are know as Bhaike of Kainthal and Jhumba.
* Dhar's descendants are know as Pirkotias.
* Roop's progeny are Rosse of the village of Tehna in Faridkot.
* Suro's progeny are know as Meharmia.
* Mano's descendants are settled in Malkana and Naurang villages and known as Manokes.
* Bhura's descendants are known as Harikas and Brars.
* Hari Rao was born in the family of Sita Rao, the elder son of Bhura. He was the founder of the Harkike Sidhu branch. Kaonke, Attari, Harike and Fattanke belong to this lineage. They are not of Brar lineage.
* Jarth, the second son of Sita Rao, sired Brar who founded the Brar Clan.

Thus, Sidhus have nine sub-clans:

1. Brar
2. Harike
3. Bhaike
4. Pirkotiye
5. Rosse
6. Jaid
7. Manoke
8. Bains
9. Johl

My friend, since you are quoting Wiki, I'd suggest you read about the genetic origins of Jatts as well. Many of them have Rajput origins, including the Sidhus but these were later assimilated with the Jatts. And now they are classified under Jatts and not Rajputs.

And dont have 100% faith in what Wiki tells you. Read "Jattan da Itihas" by Dr. Dahiya, an encyclopedic book on Jatts and their origins if you want to learn.

As a Sikh, Punjabi and a Jatt I wouldn't want ti disagree with that.;)

Yeah, I remember reading the story of baba deep singh ji while standing in front of his shrine at golden temple. I felt as proud as I did while visiting the the samadhi of Tanaji Malusare at Sinhgarh.

Very inspiring stuff; the history of sikhs!

Last edited:
Yeah, I remember reading the story of baba deep singh ji while standing in front of his samadhi in golden temple. I felt as proud as I did while visiting the the samadhi of Tanaji Malusare at Sinhgarh.

Very inspiring stuff; the history of sikhs!

Yeah. Though I guess Baba Deep Singh's samdhi is at Tarn Taran, a few miles before Amritsar on the NH, if I am not wrong.

I have read about the Maratha assault on Sihngarh. Awe-inspiring stuff.

^^ You are right, I think it's a shrine at shri harimandir sahib and not samadhi, edited the mistake. I guess not having a local guy with you does make it difficult to know the history of the place properly.

Last edited:
Yeah. Though I guess Baba Deep Singh's samdhi is at Tarn Taran, a few miles before Amritsar on the NH, if I am not wrong.

I have read about the Maratha assault on Sihngarh. Awe-inspiring stuff.

waheguru jee ka khalsa waheguru jee kee fateh,,

first all posters when guru gobind singh jee made khalsa/sikhs,, all there caste and creed were removed and they all became equivalent... so no jatts or any other thing only singhs/khalsa...

baba deep singh jee's deh/body is at NH before amritsar as you mentioned and sish/head is at parkarma of darbar saheb/golden temple amritsar.

bhul chuk maaf..

first all posters when guru gobind singh jee made khalsa/sikhs,, all there caste and creed were removed and they all became equivalent... so no jatts or any other thing only singhs/khalsa...

Agree with you, but about the bolded part, we can hold a discussion on some other thread. I personally believe that bonds with clans have been impossible to break even for the strong tenets of Sikhism. Unfortunate, you may call it, but that is the truth.

baba deep singh jee's deh/body is at NH before amritsar as you mentioned and sish/head is at parkarma of darbar saheb/golden temple amritsar.

bhul chuk maaf..

waheguru jee ka khalsa waheguru jee kee fateh

You are probably right.

This might be OT but I believe indians are mostly unaware of many glorious chapters in their own history. Many believe that our history's just a procession of defeat after defeat and this view is then taken up by many foreigners.

Not many in my state know about Baba Deep singh ji or even maharaja Ranjit Singh not many in India apart from maharashtra know about battle of Pawankhind and Bajiprabhu Deshpande.. Even fewer people know about Lachit Borphukan all over India ( except assam).

Is there any thread on this forum where we can discuss Indian historical wars and war heroes? If not we can start one and contribute about heroes from our respective parts of the country?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom