Xeric

RETIRED THINK TANK
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
PM says not clear who controls Pakistan army - Yahoo! India News

PM says not clear who controls Pakistan army

Sun, Nov 22 11:37 PM
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh (seated) addresses a news conference in Srinagar in this October 29,... Enlarge Photo Prime Minister Manmohan Singh (seated) addresses a news conference in Srinagar in this October 29,...

Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said on Sunday it was not clear if Pakistan's president was in control of the army and said Pakistan's objectives in Afghanistan were not necessarily those of the United States.

Singh said he was worried about Pakistan's nuclear arsenal falling into the wrong hands and said he was disturbed that Islamabad had not brought to justice the perpetrators of last year's Mumbai attacks.

Singh and U.S. President Barack Obama meet this week in the United States to discuss regional issues, climate change and the completion of a landmark nuclear deal.

The U.S. strategy for Afghanistan has been criticised as ignoring the concerns of regional countries such as India.

"It is not clear if the President (Asif Ali Zardari) is in charge of the army," Singh told CNN International television in an interview to coincide with his visit to the United States.

"Pakistan's objectives in Afghanistan are not necessarily in harmony with American objectives. Having said that, who am I to judge whether the Pakistan government and the Pakistan army is moving to remove the Afghan Taliban?" Singh said.

Nuclear-armed India and Pakistan have fought three wars since independence from Britain in 1947.

India put its troops along the border with Pakistan on high alert after at least 166 people were killed in Mumbai last November in attacks New Delhi blames on Pakistan. It also put peace talks on hold.

"Pakistan has not done enough with regard to pursuing the perpetrators of the Mumbai terror attacks," Singh said, adding New Delhi had sent enough evidence without any response.

"An active Pakistan would not allow this," Singh said.

Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said on Sunday it was not clear if Pakistan's president was in control of the army and said Pakistan's objectives in Afghanistan were not necessarily those of the United States.

"It is not clear if the President (Asif Ali Zardari) is in charge of the army," Singh told CNN International television in an interview to coincide with his visit to the United States.

"Pakistan's objectives in Afghanistan are not necessarily in harmony with American objectives. Having said that, who am I to judge whether the Pakistan government and the Pakistan army is moving to remove the Afghan Taliban?" Singh said.

Isnt that true? A "democratically elected govt" has no control over its armed forces.....is quite humiliating for a people.

And let me help you with the second one...I quote from a source I posted on this thread

Asked if the Pakistanis were trying as hard as they can, the prime minister said he was not sure whether the United States and Pakistan have the same objectives in Afghanistan.

"Pakistan would like Afghanistan to be under its control. And they would like the United States to get out soon," Manmohan Singh said while "the US objectives are to get Pakistan to deal with the Taliban in Afghanistan.

"But I don't see Pakistan wholeheartedly in support of action against the Taliban in Afghanistan. They are of course taking action against the Taliban, but only when it threatens the supremacy of the army."

The point to ponder is why do this on an eve before his Washington visit? How will this influence the Obama admin vis-a-vis India-China and Afghan-Pak policies to be discussed in the forthcoming summit?

Singh said he was worried about Pakistan's nuclear arsenal falling into the wrong hands and said he was disturbed that Islamabad had not brought to justice the perpetrators of last year's Mumbai attacks.

So now indian PM confirmed indian involvement and instigation in US commando being in Pakistan to take over nuke facilities.

Question is if indian nukes are safe when half of their states have insurgency and chronic riots and messacre?

Isnt that true? A "democratically elected govt" has no control over its armed forces.....is quite humiliating for a people.

And let me help you with the second one...I quote from a source I posted on this thread
You are doing nothing except trumpeting the same song that your PM just did.

Dont waste time trying to prove what he said, as i can just prove it otherwise with SOURCES (if you are so fond of these).
The point to ponder is why do this on an eve before his Washington visit? How will this influence the Obama admin vis-a-vis India-China and Afghan-Pak policies to be discussed in the forthcoming summit?
Exactly!

You are a smart boy i must say, why dont you help us out and answer it yourself?

Last edited:

Pakistan situaton is different, when Pakistan is fighting war in many fronts imposed by US NATO and terror activities India has been involved and actively instigating inside Pakistan.

But even without war half of indian states want independence and riddle with insurgency, chronoic genocide with govt involvement. How shamful is that for india and indians? Oh we forgot indians don't have any shame just big mouth.

So now indian PM confirmed indian involvement and instigation in US commando being in Pakistan to take over nuke facilities.
Wow I didnt know that our own Prime Minister Mr. MMS had so much clout that he could order or instigate US commandos into going into Pakistan!!
Question is if indian nukes are safe when half of their states have insurgency and chronic riots and messacre?

Yup, you are right, Indian society is on the verge of collapse with all those "messacres" and 'chronic' riots and insurgencies that we are afraid our "Nukes" will fall into unsafe hands triggering an Armageddon! Oh you also forgot to mention/add corruption, poverty, loss of morality, illiteracy etc into the cauldron! Indina 'nukes' are not safe, be afraid, brother, very afraid!

Well blasts in Assam has just confirmed that.

i think they should mend their own game, before pointing out fingers!

PM says not clear who controls Pakistan army

Sun, Nov 22 11:37 PM
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh (seated) addresses a news conference in Srinagar in this October 29,... Enlarge Photo Prime Minister Manmohan Singh (seated) addresses a news conference in Srinagar in this October 29,...

Singh and U.S. President Barack Obama meet this week in the United States to discuss regional issues, climate change and the completion of a landmark nuclear deal.

The U.S. strategy for Afghanistan has been criticised as ignoring the concerns of regional countries such as India.

Nuclear-armed India and Pakistan have fought three wars since independence from Britain in 1947.

India put its troops along the border with Pakistan on high alert after at least 166 people were killed in Mumbai last November in attacks New Delhi blames on Pakistan. It also put peace talks on hold.

"Pakistan has not done enough with regard to pursuing the perpetrators of the Mumbai terror attacks," Singh said, adding New Delhi had sent enough evidence without any response.

NOW removing Afghan Taliban is responsibility of Pakistan.:hitwall:

I have said it many times that we need to close the border with Aghanistan, fence it and don't allow any afghan coming into Pakistan.
But Pakistan can't close the border because of the pressure from West. One main reason is drug trafficking, Pakistani government officials are also involve in with CIA and British Intelligence in making money buy moving Drugs from Afghanistan via Balochistan to Europe & North America.

You are doing nothing except trumpeting the same song that your PM just did.

Dont waste time trying to prove what he said, as i can just prove it otherwise with SOURCES (if you are so fond of these).
I know you can, that's why you posted the original post here! Anyway, what is wrong in that statement? Can ya prove that its wrong?

Anyhow, you of all people, a thinktank, should know that when there are multiple conflicting centers of power in a state/country, it becomes very difficult to initiate/develop meaningful dialogues. Add to this dangerous mixture the element of being threatened by a growing religious fundamentalism. In that scenario, who is one supposed to talk to? The all powerful Army and the "Establishment" or the Govt of the day? Or those tribal leaders fueling religious fundamentalism? What guarantee that the next "group" in power will honor these commitments, if any? And that, IMHO, I think is the dilemma countries are facing when trying to engage Pakistan. (China deals directly with the military - no problems there.)

Exactly!
You are a smart boy i must, why dont you help us out and answer it yourself?
Thanks for the compliment.
I wish I could, but you see I cannot and that's why I ask questions!

Pakistan situaton is different, when Pakistan is fighting war in many fronts imposed by US NATO and terror activities India has been involved and actively instigating inside Pakistan.

But even without war half of indian states want independence and riddle with insurgency, chronoic genocide with govt involvement. How shamful is that for india and indians? Oh we forgot indians don't have any shame just big mouth.

Nice comment. Thanks.

As for your rant about Indian involvement, show us the evidence! Plain and simple! Else all those who say that India is involved in "terrorist activities" based on assumptions and so called circumstantial evidence, are Liars! I find it very amusing to see that even the Pakistani FM resorted to such melodrama (and I thought melodrama was only the Indians' forte) without showing any evidence whatsoever. Just tells the rest of us about their credibility!

You see Utopia is a nice fantasy, but its still a fantasy! The real world, sir, is different.

Manmohan Singh ji woke up and then suddenly it got to him that hey I am missing the pary, USA is blaming Pakistan, all my juniors home minister, external minister etc etc are after Pakistan, so why am I left out of the party, so now he has joined the party of the crazies who have nothing else to do other then saying :pakistan::pakistan::pakistan::pakistan::pakistan::pakistan:

Also he has a meeting with Barak Osama and before meeting him, definitely number tu bananay hain naaaa. Khush jo kernaa hai. :usflag:

in that sense u guys need to shut the f**k up and keep ur head down to clean ur mess, when we hear a blast every other day...why does ur govt keeps pointing fingers at everyone like a sissy ?:devil::woot::woot:

This was uncalled for!

Grow up!

I know you can, that's why you posted the original post here! Anyway, what is wrong in that statement? Can ya prove that its wrong?

Anyhow, you of all people, a thinktank, should know that when there are multiple conflicting centers of power in a state/country, it becomes very difficult to initiate/develop meaningful dialogues. Add to this dangerous mixture the element of being threatened by a growing religious fundamentalism. In that scenario, who is one supposed to talk to? The all powerful Army and the "Establishment" or the Govt of the day? Or those tribal leaders fueling religious fundamentalism? What guarantee that the next "group" in power will honor these commitments, if any? And that, IMHO, I think is the dilemma countries are facing when trying to engage Pakistan. (China deals directly with the military - no problems there.)

Speaking truly i didnt get the point in your above quoted post, what i said that in today's world we can just prove or otherwise just anything.

i can say that Pakistan has suffered the most casualties in the GWOT.

We never had this suicide bombing phenomenon in our country until we joined this WOT.

We still and have been emphasizing that a peaceful afghanistan is in Pakistan's (in particular) and word's (in general) interest.

The US wants that no attack against the US should be planned in afghanistan, and that's what Pakistan is doing to help the americans achieve!

We have given almost every support in any sense to the coalition fighting inside Afghanistan so that they can achieve their goals.

etc
etc
etc....

(and i can go on)

Basing on above we can say that the claim that the american and Pakistani interests dont meet in afghanistan is just an hoax.

So that's what i was talking about, let's not get into proofs, haves and have nots, let's see the reasons, let's see what pinched the peaceful, calm and tranquil Mr MMS to utter these words..??!!

Canadian intelligence services recently confirmed that they had received credible information that Indian nuclear facilities were under direct threat from terrorism. Let's not argue the safety of our nuclear assets, everybody is well aware that they are both more or less equally secure.

Also, let's not be naive. Our president does not control the Army, not as much as an elected official should. However, our president is not an elected official to begin with. Pakistanis have no problem with their Army acting independently of the present government.

Now, for Mr. Manmoham Singh's other statement. Of course Pakistan's objectives are different from the NATO's and India's regarding Afghanistan. But to claim that Pakistan wants to "control" Afghanistan is childish, and frankly, hypocritical. That's what they want, an Afghanistan like the one of pre-1980s, they have already invested quite a bit to that objective. Pakistan has every right to pursue a favorable scenario regarding Afghanistan, more so than anybody else, we share a border and a people with them. For him to try and twist this to his country's advantage is despicable. Such low blows leave little room for "peace talks", which, without the Kashmir issue and with the present government, would have been a farce anyway.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom