What's new

Slums in South Asia

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think one cant compare orangi to mumbai slum orangi is a complete town with population of 1.8 million which i dnt think is correct because karachi's population is 16 million and it have 18 towns which are approximatly equally districbuted most populated is gulshan town with population of more den 2 million and i have seen orangi it is not a slum area at all many middle class ppls live there

Density of Mumbai Slum is more then Orangi but in population way, it is the largest slum. Slums defination is by UN and not from each country. What you consider middle class may not be considered same by UN. Usually Slums means illegal holding of land, by building (Jupad-pati, aur kacha makan) and leaving there without proper water facility, sanitation, etc.

Density of Mumbai Slum is more then Orangi but in population way, it is the largest slum. Slums defination is by UN and not from each country. What you consider middle class may not be considered same by UN. Usually Slums means illegal holding of land, by building (Jupad-pati, aur kacha makan) and leaving there without proper water facility, sanitation, etc.

thats what i am trying to say cuz i m been there u wont find jupad pati there may b u find few but u will find ppls in 1000's not even 1 lakh there it have water facility as well and also roads better den a highway may b sumtime bak it was a jupad pati but after local bodies govt it is converted into a town which also have industrial zone in it

thats what i am trying to say cuz i m been there u wont find jupad pati there may b u find few but u will find ppls in 1000's not even 1 lakh there it have water facility as well and also roads better den a highway may b sumtime bak it was a jupad pati but after local bodies govt it is converted into a town which also have industrial zone in it

I don't need to go and check. I am saying what is written. And it may not be true. You also see Mumbai Slums in News, and there is no need to go and check whether figure of 5 lakh or 10 lakh is correct or not. Even, GOI is building around 5-7 lakh homes of each 225 sq. ft. for them. I have seen one of them project which includes around 66000 Homes. My father was having detail, because he was one of the contractor's friend.

Orangi not Dharavi Asia’s biggest slum
Kamal Siddiqi, Hindustan Times
Email Author
Karachi, September 07, 2009

North of Karachi, where the city meets the Khasa Hills, forming a natural border for the city, stands Orangi Town — one of the largest slum dwellings of Asia. It is spread over nearly 50 square kms.

Unlike many other inner city slums, Orangi Town is spread over a large area that even today continues to expand.

Earlier, it was believed Dharavi — which is in the heart of India's financial capital Mumbai — is not the largest slum.

But the Human Development Report for Mumbai, by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and released by the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) has clarified that “Dharavi is not Asia's largest slum, but Karachi's Orangi Township has surpassed Dharavi.”

Orangi Town’s thickly populated area accommodates a number of ethnic communities but is predominantly Bihari. People from other parts of India — late migrants who came in the '70s and onwards — have made Orangi their home too, with many from Uttar Pradesh. Besides, there are Pathans from the Frontier province, Punjabis, Seraikis and other communities.

It is believed over a million people live or work here.

Orangi was the centre of ethnic conflict in the 90s when Pathans and Mohajirs (migrants from India) fought it out for control of the city. Things are have now settled down.

“There are Pathan areas and there are Mohajir areas and we know which is where,” says Kamran Ashraf, a resident of Orangi.

Orangi now has a booming cottage industry — making things as diverse as slippers and saris, that are sold in Karachi and even exported. Its biggest success story has been the Orangi Pilot Project, a self-help scheme started by the legendary Dr Akhtar Hamid Khan, who had earlier worked on collectives in what was then East Pakistan.

Perween Rehman, who heads the project, said residents have successfully installed sewers and water pipelines and built roads, schools and clinics over the past 20 years. The government has been missing here since officially Orangi “does not exist.”

I have been to Orangi town, and it is probably better than half of India.

The 'puerile attitude' is that of the Times of India, which earlier reported the statement of PM Gillani referring to the information provided to him by Sri Lanka's president, about a possible LTTE link to the cricket team attack, as some sort of 'u-turn'. And now referred to Orangi Township as Karachi, even while making the distinction between Mumbai and Dharavi.

:rofl: You know what Agno Bro that was more fun than this one. But i think this is how a Nationalist media should be; Lol look how they are trying to tell their readers/viewers that it is not India but Pakistan where all the evil live.:devil:

Impossible last year i went to Orangni, its a 'al right' kinda place u cant compare it with Dharavi, can any one define the 'definition of slum', its just a typical ToI trash they are r so desperate to deny their own very Mumbai's slum...

Last edited:
I agree with PS.In fact, i would go one step further and say that TOI is no different then Völkischer Beobachter.

Now can I see an official UNDP link for this to confirm because no way i am going to trust ToI or HT.

^^^^^

Ok... fine....Orangi may be the be the best looking Slum...But its still a SLUM.....

i need to know how it is defined as a 'slum',how the hell is it a slum? comparing the picture tell me how Orangi is a slum compared to Dharavi....
come on help me

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom