What's new

Space Warfare, Technology and Exploration

all types of beta decay batteries are low voltage and amps what i am contemplating is in megawatts

I have read somewhere that the battery is "scalable", taking various forms according to application and providing low voltage to high voltage accordingly. Example : pacemaker, torch, personal computer, clothes iron, car.

I quote the website's "Technology" page which may answer your point :
Diamond Nuclear Voltaic (DNV): NDB is one of the earliest adopters and developers of this technology backed up by recent publications. Typically, DNV as a device is a combination of a semiconductor, metal and ceramic which has two contact surfaces to facilitate charge collection. Several single units are attached together to create a stack arrangement, which is fabricated to create a positive and negative contact surface similar to a common battery system. Every layer of the DNV stack consists of a high energy output source. This kind of arrangement improves the overall efficiency of the system and provides a multi layer safety shield for the product.

Rapid conversion from radiation to electricity: All radioisotopes are known to produce high amounts of heat. The strategic placement of the source between the DNV units facilitates inelastic scattering originated due to the presence of single crystalline diamond (SCD) in the DNV unit. This design prevents self-absorption of heat by the radioisotope and enables rapid conversion to usable electricity.

Thin film structure: The thin-film profile exhibited by NDB allows radiation absorption in the single crystalline diamond with minimal self adsorption. Due to its flexible design structure, this technology can take any shape and form in accordance to the application. This makes NDB’s battery system market friendly.

Nuclear recycle process: Utilization of radioactive waste as otherwise is a subject not many have looked into. At NDB, we aim to reuse the nuclear fuel by reprocessing and recycling to enable sustainability and promote a clean energy source in a safe and secure environment.

Safety

One of the key innovations of NDB is its highly sophisticated safety feature covering the three most important aspects of thermal, mechanical and radiation safety. The battery system uses several concepts to ensure maximum safety of the device:

Diamond encapsulator:
The DNV stacks along with the source are coated with a layer of poly-crystalline diamond, which is known for being the most thermally conductive material also has the ability to contain the radiation within the device and is the hardest material, twelve times tougher than stainless steel. This makes our product extremely tough and tamperproof.

Built in thermal vents: The high energy source present in the battery system produces heat during operation. This leads to thermal conduction in the system. Thermal vents in the system help conduct this process with respect to the outer surface of the diamond to keep the interiors at an optimum level.

Boron-doped SCD: Trying to utilise every aspect in the system, NDB in addition to alpha and beta also incorporates usage of neutron radiations by utilising a boron-10 doping. Doping helps to convert the extra neutron into alpha ray.

Lock-in System: Using a nuclear power source for a battery system brings up the question of nuclear proliferation due to production of fissionable isotopes such as Pu- 238 and U-232. To tackle this issue, NDB uses an ion implantation mechanism called “lock-in system” which prevents usage other than power generation. This increases the usability, by meeting consumer safety requirements.

This link is for a pic from the company's homepage and describes the applications.

I think this is just silliness as Starlink has nothing to do with Mars

I agree. I think it has something to do with company lawyers wanting to put some legalese. Also, maybe Musk wanted to use the opportunity to describe his take on what society he would desire on Mars.

Last edited:
1. Source of energy : Do you remember the thread about Nuclear Diamond Battery from some months ago ? It seems to be usable for most needs and form-able for various shapes and sizes.

2. Availability of water / oxygen : That is why I wrote that the settlements have to be near to either of the two polar ice caps.

and how will you generate a magnetic field around Mars that will protect you from the sun's radiation bursts?

I have just edited my previous post. Please check.
Let me write down some of the physical limits

1) total amount of radioactive material in this case carbon14 transportable in diamond allotrope.

2) rate of radioactive decay

And so on

and how will you generate a magnetic field around Mars that will protect you from the sun's radiation bursts?

About short-term I think there should be a satellite near to the Sun to make note of the radiation burst and send that info to satellites in Mars orbit which will then warn the people to get into radiation shelters or radiation-hardened vehicles. Maybe humans are more resilient to such bursts than machines, after all there have been rovers on Mars surface for a long time.

About long-term, I don't know.

Let me write down some of the physical limits

1) total amount of radioactive material in this case carbon14 transportable in diamond allotrope.

2) rate of radioactive decay

And so on

I don't have deep knowledge of particle physics ( or even most physics :D ) but I will try to answer your points in my simple way :

1. The company's website doesn't have info on the amount of radioactive material but says ( I may understand this wrongly ) that the material sits on some thin-film and is encapsulated by diamond and this arrangement is added with another such arrangement so that a stack is formed.

2. The battery is said to last 28,000 years.

Last edited:
About short-term I think there should be a satellite near to the Sun to make note of the radiation burst and send that info to satellites in Mars orbit which will then warn the people to get into radiation shelters or radiation-hardened vehicles.

I don't have deep knowledge of particle physics ( or even most physics :D ) but I will try to answer your points in my simple way :

1. The company's website doesn't have info on the amount of radioactive material but says ( I may understand this wrongly ) that the material sits on some thin-film and is encapsulated by diamond and this arrangement is added with another such arrangement so that a stack is formed.

2. The battery is said to last 28,000 years.
This technology is about 65 years old and is being used in military and space programs nearly since then don't fall for a company's ads this is their investor/share price hunting techniques so

About short-term I think there should be a satellite near to the Sun to make note of the radiation burst and send that info to satellites in Mars orbit which will then warn the people to get into radiation shelters or radiation-hardened vehicles. Maybe humans are more resilient to such bursts than machines, after all there have been rovers on Mars surface for a long time.

Nope that wouldn't work even short term. Bursts take mere minutes to reach the planet and they destroy the atmosphere so even if the person survives the air is literally blown away.

Nope that wouldn't work even short term. Bursts take mere minutes to reach the planet and they destroy the atmosphere so even if the person survives the air is literally blown away.

Building an atmosphere is a long term goal. For now, with the tech and the developing tech we have, it is enough to land us on Mars and start a small colony.

SpaceX is working on making space cheaper and more accessible, which is the most important part out of all. Once that's done to a sufficient degree, say $100 per kilo, we'll have to develop better and extraordinary engines which'll decrease the time to travel between us and Mars, along with the rest of the solar system where space mining will be taking place.

Once space mining takes off, we won't have to mine on the Earth and those derelict spaces can become forests & museums, among other beneficial usage of such space.

Think of this whole process as the start of the new exploration age, one bigger and much more impactful than the one started by the Europeans when they colonized the whole world. The handful of companies, nations and groups which are the first to explore and colonize will be the new trillionaires.

Any mass extinction event taking place on Earth, say nuclear warfare, will not affect them since they'll be able to recolonize Earth.

More on this:

@Pan-Islamic-Pakistan @Taimoor Khan @Hakikat ve Hikmet @Pakhtoon yum @313ghazi @TMA @Muslimrenaissance @lastofthepatriots @DESERT FIGHTER @Yaseen1 @Talwar e Pakistan @Taimur Khurram @Ahmet Pasha @DESERT FIGHTER @Desert Fox @Reichsmarschall @khansaheeb @AZADPAKISTAN2009 @Philosopher @Zarvan @truthfollower @El Sidd @MastanKhan @Dubious @Reichsmarschall @waz @Arsalan @Horus @SQ8

Let us know your thoughts and start contributing.
1605313526959.png

1605313555240.png

1605313577008.png

1605313615170.png

1605313630651.png

Last edited:
Building an atmosphere is a long term goal. For now, with the tech and the developing tech we have, it is enough to land us on Mars and start a small colony.

SpaceX is working on making space cheaper and more accessible, which is the most important part out of all. Once that's done to a sufficient degree, say $100 per kilo, we'll have to develop better and extraordinary engines which'll decrease the time to travel between us and Mars, along with the rest of the solar system where space mining will be taking place.

Once space mining takes off, we won't have to mine on the Earth and those derelict spaces can become forests & museums, among other beneficial usage of such space.

Think of this whole process as the start of the new exploration age, one bigger and much more impactful than the one started by the Europeans when they colonized the whole world. The handful of companies, nations and groups which are the first to explore and colonize will be the new trillionaires.

Any mass extinction event taking place on Earth, say nuclear warfare, will not affect them since they'll be able to recolonize Earth.

More on this:

@Pan-Islamic-Pakistan @Taimoor Khan @Hakikat ve Hikmet @Pakhtoon yum @313ghazi @TMA @Muslimrenaissance @lastofthepatriots @DESERT FIGHTER @Yaseen1 @Talwar e Pakistan @Taimur Khurram @Ahmet Pasha @DESERT FIGHTER @Desert Fox @Reichsmarschall @khansaheeb @AZADPAKISTAN2009 @Philosopher @Zarvan @truthfollower @El Sidd @MastanKhan @Dubious @Reichsmarschall @waz @Arsalan @Horus @SQ8

Let us know your thoughts and start contributing.
View attachment 688128

View attachment 688129

View attachment 688130

View attachment 688131

View attachment 688132

lol there are way too many issues with those cute artist representations for them to be a reality within the next decade, which is what Musk has "promised". There are similar troubles with making space travel cheaper it due to the mass being transported. Its fine for tourism like spend an hour in space but to build even the space station (a very small in orbit habitable zone) took years and it is very difficult to sustain requiring constant upkeep.

At any rate I was just calling out Musk's BS on colonizing within the decade.

lol there are way too many issues with those cute artist representations for them to be a reality within the next decade, which is what Musk has "promised". I'm just calling out that BS.

Doesn't matter. A 100 years ago, no one thought it was possible to land on the moon, let alone send objects into space. Our problem solving skills are only getting better.

What I didn't mention was the colonization of the Moon before Mars...

Whoever holds the Moon holds the Earth in captivity.

Doesn't matter. A 100 years ago, no one thought it was possible to land on the moon, let alone send objects into space. Our problem solving skills are only getting better.

What I didn't mention was the colonization of the Moon before Mars...

Whoever holds the Moon holds the Earth in captivity.

Then why haven't they done it already? If the growth rate is the same over the last 100 years. What happened in the last 30? 40?

Then why haven't they done it already? If the growth rate is the same over the last 100 years. What happened in the last 30? 40?

Lack of funding and research. Now both problems will be solved with the commercialization of space. If Elon Musk fails, someone else will pick up where he left off. Just like he picked up where NASA left off. That much is guaranteed.

Update:

Read the name @Microsoft of the capsule. :D

From Columbia, Challenger to Resilience.

Back
Top Bottom