What's new

Spoken English at ISSB

mwaraitch

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Later the academies, here are there are raising aspect of use of English during tests at ISSB. The idea is to lure more people to academies.

Factual Status:
  • English has always been a part of tests at ISSB (so its not a new development).
  • The selectors at ISSB are well aware of the shortcomings of the candidates in this regards and cater it duly.
  • People with non English background and from far off areas used to be and are still getting recommended from ISSB.
Still - spoken English can be handy, not only for ISSB but for the rest of one's career.
Learning it, may not necessarily require investing money. It can be as simple as mentioned in this short video.

Further to this video, having short lecture and a quick English reading practice, free application mentioned below can also be handy
Use Free apps to make speaking English, simple and fun

• Hello English:
  • Duolingo
  • Lingbe
  • Memrise

Regardless, don't get into panic mind set. Try to keep going as much as possible. Language is not a hurdle at ISSB.

Last edited:
The real joke is that many instructors I have encountered at PMA, Staff College, FSA, etc., don't even have perfect English / grammar / syntax.

Anyway, good luck to everyone.
As long as one can manage the flow without frequent flaws / errors, it goes smooth and is workable. To me, spoken English is not about grammar and syntax alone (as long as these are just reasonable)

As long as one can manage the flow without frequent flaws / errors, it goes smooth and is workable. To me, spoken English is not about grammar and syntax alone (as long as these are just reasonable)

I see what you're saying, but I'm sure you would agree that the teacher should KNOW the correct way --- even if the students decide to take shortcuts.

I believe any language should be learned properly, especially if one is going to use it as an official/legal/transactional language, even if students later on choose to use their own version of it.

Learn to write/shoot/drive/fly the right way before you go breaking the rules :)

@F.O.X

Can you please give me an idea on what to do here?
My spoken Urdu is a bit naff, and ends up as a hodgepodge of punjabi and Urdu. but is still highly understandable. Do you know any ways of increasing my skill in the language if I have no family members who speak Urdu to a good degree?

This is my only hurdle.

This is where things start to go south,

English should not and must never be a part of the test , or the official language of Army.

Candidates must be tested in Urdu, thus allowing everyone a fair field.

The modest middle class boys look down and score points on the 2 , maximum three sentences they learn to deliver and later behave like ego monkeys.

This is where the problems start with in our Fauj.

They are less soldiers, more wannabe angrez.

@F.O.X

Can you please give me an idea on what to do here?
My spoken Urdu is a bit naff, and ends up as a hodgepodge of punjabi and Urdu. but is still highly understandable. Do you know any ways of increasing my skill in the language if I have no family members who speak Urdu to a good degree?

This is my only hurdle.
There are a number of apps at google play store, which are interactive and can be greatly useful

There are a number of apps at google play store, which are interactive and can be greatly useful

Also, I am slightly confused.

Can you sign up for the PMA Long course without going to ISSB?
Is ISSB the first stage before any course?

Can anyone who has the correct grades, the right fitness and the right intellect join?
I read somewhere that you have to be a registered sportsman.

Also, I am slightly confused.

Can you sign up for the PMA Long course without going to ISSB?
Is ISSB the first stage before any course?

Can anyone who has the correct grades, the right fitness and the right intellect join?
I read somewhere that you have to be a registered sportsman.

You can't join PMA LC or any PMA course without ISSB. ISSB is the second last stage. Last is your detailed medical evaluation at CMH.

Below are the stages:

Documents Check.

Initial Intelligence/Gen Knowledge/Islamic History/Mental Maths test done on comp.

Initial Medical.

Physical test (1 mil run, pushups, pullups etc..)

Initial Interview (if passed, you'll get ISSB form) and you'll be later called up for it.

Regarding your Urdu accent, DO NOT WORRY ABOUT IT. They don't give a F how your Urdu is. Most candidates from Punjab have that accent. Worry about English, that's what the colonists worry about.

You can't join PMA LC or any PMA course without ISSB. ISSB is the second last stage. Last is your detailed medical evaluation at CMH.

Below are the stages:

Documents Check.

Initial Intelligence/Gen Knowledge/Islamic History/Mental Maths test done on comp.

Initial Medical.

Physical test (1 mil run, pushups, pullups etc..)

Initial Interview (if passed, you'll get ISSB form) and you'll be later called up for it.

Regarding your Urdu accent, DO NOT WORRY ABOUT IT. They don't give a F how your Urdu is. Most candidates from Punjab have that accent. Worry about English, that's what the colonists worry about.

Wait, so what is the first stage?

I also speak english perfectly, with a massive vocabulary and proper bri'ish accent. I think they'll like that :laugh:

Wait, so what is the first stage?

I also speak english perfectly, with a massive vocabulary and proper bri'ish accent. I think they'll like that :laugh:

They're gonna love it.

First step is Doc check. You'll be put in a line and there will be a badtamiz Subedar sab from Army Education Corps checking documents.

They'll check your school/college certificates, ID card etc..

They're gonna love it.

First step is Doc check. You'll be put in a line and there will be a badtamiz Subedar sab from Army Education Corps checking documents.

And...british grades?

They are excellent, though.

They're gonna love it.

Would the Pk embassy be the right people to speak to about this, in the UK?

And...british grades?

They are excellent, though.

Would the Pk embassy be the right people to speak to about this, in the UK?

If you're in Britain, then you won't be called for Initial tests. Pakistani Embassy and it's military staff/attache will conduct your tests/initial interview. If you're qualified for ISSB, then you'll need to travel to Pakistan.

To initiate the process, you'll have to apply online.

If you're in Britain, then you won't be called for Initial tests. Pakistani Embassy and it's military staff/attache will conduct your tests/initial interview. If you're qualified for ISSB, then you'll need to travel to Pakistan.

To initiate the process, you'll have to apply online.

Yeah, that's the problem.
There is no way to apply online, to my knowledge.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom