What's new

SR219,000 raised for Pak flood-hit / http://arabnews.com/saudiarabia/articl

Sehar Kamran

New Recruit

Reaction score
By SYED FAISAL ALI | ARAB NEWS

Published: Oct 21, 2011 22:03 Updated: Oct 21, 2011 22:03

JEDDAH: Pakistani expatriates in Jeddah have joined hands to raise SR219,900 for their flood-hit compatriots back home.

Pakistan International School Jeddah-English Section (PISJ-ES) staff and students contributed SR73,000 to the cause. The rest of the money was collected during a fund-raising event at the end of a cultural evening at the school to mark its 17th anniversary on Thursday.

Saudi businessman Abdul Khaliq Saeed pledged SR50,000, which was followed by many other donations including from Britain’s Consul General Mohammed Shokat, who personally contributed SR5,000.

PISJ-ES Principal Sehar Kamran said she was satisfied with the school’s achievements over the past 17 years. She highlighted the school’s academic and social contributions.

“The school has entered its 17th year of excellence; it is time to celebrate our accomplishments and successes. And we wish to mark the day and start the celebrations with a revival of our pledge to serve our beloved country Pakistan with true dedication and devotion,” she said in her address.

“At this time when a large number in our country is suffering due to devastating floods and rains, we are prepared to fulfill our responsibilities. We have dedicated our celebration for the rehabilitation of our suffering brothers and sisters,” she said.

The highlight of the cultural extravaganza was singing sensation Wania Jibran, a rising talent who has represented Pakistan in numerous competitions including “Chote Ustad,” a popular Indian singing talent show. Wania paid tributes to the martyred soldiers of Pakistan by singing “Aah Rahaay Haq kay Shaheedon.”

The students also gave a scintillating performance of a mélange of Pakistani/Saudi cultural songs titled “Colors of Pakistan in Saudi Arabia.”

PISJ kindergarten was not behind in putting up an impressive show.

This was followed by a folk and bhangra dance performance by the senior students.

The program also included a skit based on the sufferings of flood victims acted out by year five students and a presentation on the disaster by year 13 students Mashael Kamran and Fatima Mohsin.

Faisal Iftikhar, Huda Malik, Sohaib Khalid and Hafsa Khan hosted the event. Shokat in his address thanked Kamran for giving him an opportunity to interact with the Pakistani community in an informal atmosphere.

“I feel proud to be here and thank Sehar Kamran. I may have been born in Britain, but the blood that runs in me is of my parents and that blood is Pakistani. We might not be in our country, but our heart beats for Pakistan and we stand by our country in its hour of need.”

Abdul Khaliq Saeed said: “I am proud to be here. Let me tell you I started my business from Pakistan and it has been 16 years. Pakistan is in my heart and will remain in my heart.”

Back
Top Bottom