What's new

Sultan of Brunei bans Christmas 'because it could damage faith of Muslims'

Are you official christian country or christian majority secular country.

In fact in their capital city of Manila, there are quite a number of Mosques. The Muslims in Philippines are largely integrated, the only issue is in the south where there are separatists who DO NOT represent the majority of the Muslims in Filipinas.

This was one Masjid i loved to visit when I was in Manila. Al Huda Masjid:

585a8-al-huda-masjid,-manila_large.jpg

In Mindanao's South Cotabato Province: Sultan Hassanal Masjid
07-28-2014-01-biggest-and-grandest_F9C41ECA397D4DBD97A15792102CAD68.jpg

My friend, where you are from, is there any sectarian issues between Shia, Sunni and Ahmadiya Muslims?

Shiah people becomes hated here because they support Iran in Syria. It is a Facebook war only he he. But nothing more than that. They tend to be more a follower of Iran than Indonesian according to my experience. And the Salafist tend to be a follower of Saudi.

There is violence thing happens but it is in Madura island only and I dont support that. I believe it is more toward the Ulama there who are not tolerant.

Ahmadiyah in here can practice what they believe but we dont consider them as Muslim since their last prophet is not Muhammad.

You miss interpret him, Saudi foreign minister calls our foreign minister so many times to include us into their alliance. Indonesian government reject because they dont give us clarity about the specifics related to that alliance. Indonesia itself is included in their official statement as supportive of that alliance.

Dont buy CNN report about us who said that our Islam is mix with our culture. That kind of Islam is only practiced by villages people and for times to times that practiced is abandon as electricity comes to their village and they start reading books. We mix Islam with our culture that is not against Islam practice and belief.

During Ottoman Empire, Indonesian has become Imam in Masjidil Haram....

Ahmad Khatib - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I didn't know that, thanks
So it's your decision not to join this so called anti terrorism Muslims alliance that doesn't include Iran, Syria, Lebanon

Shiah people becomes hated here because they support Iran in Syria. It is a Facebook war only he he. But nothing more than that. They tend to be more a follower of Iran than Indonesian according to my experience. And the Salafist tend to be a follower of Saudi.

There is violence thing happens but it is in Madura island only and I dont support that. I believe it is more toward the Ulama there who are not tolerant.

Ahmadiyah in here can practice what they believe but we dont consider them as Muslim since their last prophet is not Muhammad.
Not that bad I think, Religious tensions are here too as long as state don't discriminate it's all good , the continuous growth of the economy will keep the religious tension at bay

why Muslim people changes the view on freedom as soon as any Muslim dictator is involved. If this would happened to eid in western countries with very less Muslims, you will demand to teach lessons to the western societies about freedom of religion.Even if there is not a single christian in country the festival celeb should not be banned.I think muslims faith is weakest faith which can be damaged by celebrating Christmas.

Not that bad I think, Religious tensions are here too as long as state don't discriminate it's all good , the continuous growth of the economy will keep the religious tension at bay

Yup, true, not bad at all. Only 1 victim death (Ahmadiyah), but Western media start exaggerating that for times to times.

why Muslim people changes the view on freedom as soon as any Muslim dictator is involved. If this would happened to eid in western countries with very less Muslims, you will demand to teach lessons to the western societies about freedom of religion.Even if there is not a single christian in country the festival celeb should not be banned.I think muslims faith is weakest faith which can be damaged by celebrating Christmas.

They banned Muslim to celebrate it, read that article once more.......

Dont buy CNN report about us who said that our Islam is mix with our culture. That kind of Islam is only practiced by villages people and for times to times that practiced is abandon as electricity comes to their village and they start reading books. We mix Islam with our culture that is not against Islam practice and belief. During Ottoman Empire, Indonesian has become Imam in Masjidil Haram....Ahmad Khatib - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nor should we mix Islam with arabs, their culture and their identity. Being Indonesian, embracing our own culture and identity is not the opposite from being a true moslem.

Golden Mosque (Masjid Al-Dahab) in Manila

Golden Mosque, Depok, Indonesia. Made with real gold.
Depok-Punya-Masjid-Terbesar-di-Asia-Tenggrara..jpg

Last edited:
Indeed, nor should we mix Islam with arabs, their culture and their identity. Being Indonesian, embracing all the culture and identity is not being opposite with embracing Islam.

Of course, Arab culture is a pre- Islamic thing. Both Arab and Indonesian can be against Islam for the sake of their cultures. Indonesian cultures which is not against our religion is not part of religious thing so can be freely adopted by Muslim.

But private thing is a personal domain. We dont criminalize them if they do such thing as long as they dont harm people.

"Your religion is yours, mine is mine" (Al-Kafirun/Quran)

It's a Theocratic Dictatorship what do you expect? What we all should be concerned of is when a supposedly secular country is trying to do this kind of shit.
nbc-fires-donald-trump-after-he-calls-mexicans-rapists-and-drug-runners.jpg

I'm not trying to protect Brunei & maybe I'm a bit bias because I have fond memory of the country. My fondest one is when I'm shit faced drunk on their beach. Ahh..... Good time. I suggest you all visit the country. What a lovely country.

Of course, Arab culture is a pre- Islamic thing. Both Arab and Indonesian can be against Islam for the sake of their cultures. Indonesian cultures which is not against our religion is not part of religious thing so can be freely adopted by Muslim.

But private thing is a personal domain. We dont criminalize them if they do such thing as long as they dont harm people. "Your religion is yours, mine is mine" (Al-Kafirun/Quran)

I guess it's all back to the individual knowladge of their own religion. Someone might think adopting some arabs culture as an effort to become "more" islamic. While in fact, might be just the opposite.

I guess it's all back to the individual knowladge of their own religion. Someone might think adopting some arabs culture as an effort to become "more" islamic. While in fact, might be just the opposite.

Yup, true like circumcision (sunat) for women. It is part of Arabic culture and nothing found in Quran.

Indonesian himself has Muhammadiyah organisation (second largest in Indonesia and has established before Saudi become a state) which is more modern in the way of its Islam thinking and independent as well.

"Muhammadiyah (Arabic: محمدية, followers of Muhammad. full name: Persyarikatan Muhammadiyah) is an Islamic organization inIndonesia. The organization was founded in 1912 by Ahmad Dahlan in the city of Yogyakarta as a reformist socioreligious movement, advocating ijtihad - individual interpretation of Qur'an and sunnah, as opposed to taqlid - the acceptance of the traditional interpretations propounded by the ulama.[1]

Yup, true like circumcision (sunat) for women. It is part of Arabic culture and nothing found in Quran.

Indonesian himself has Muhammadiyah organisation (second largest in Indonesia and has established before Saudi become a state) which is more modern in the way of its Islam thinking and independent as well.

The thing I have about Saudi Arabia and Saudi officials is that they have a 'holier than thou' mentality and just because the cities of Mecca and Medina are in that country that means that they are above all Muslims or as if they are the representative of what Muslims should be. I agree with you that being a Muslim depends on one's ability to ascertain what the Holy Q'uran states, and the personal relationship the Muslim or Muslimah has with the Creator, the Most Merciful Allah Subhanahu Wa Ta'ala...! My relationship with ALLAH Subhanahu Wa Ta'ala is what will save me in the day of Judgment, not on whether or not i can grow a beard, what i eat, how much money i gave in Zakat, or what thoughts i had. Because in the end, ALLAH Subhanahu Wa Ta'ala judges in His heart, and on the level of the Divine.

The hadiths are what the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) did, and they are not requisite to salvation. Muhammad (pbuh) is not ALLAH , just a man , and dust like us, and dust did he return.

I'm not trying to protect Brunei & maybe I'm a bit bias because I have fond memory of the country. My fondest one is when I'm shit faced drunk on their beach. Ahh..... Good time. I suggest you all visit the country. What a lovely country.

Never been to Brunei, but i have definitely been to Sabah, spent some time in Sarawak as well. You're right man, the beaches , the food, the people there are gorgeous. The land of purity, imho.

Never been to the Indonesian side of Borneo. Will have to explore more !

Yet India is the 2nd largest nation with Muslims. I think there are over 200 million Indian Muslims, yes?

In terms of most Muslims it is:

1. Indonesia
2. India
3. Pakistan

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom