What's new

Sweden commits to Gripen’s future

IceCold

PDF VETERAN
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
In a clear commitment to the future of Gripen, Sweden’s Defence Material Administration (FMV) has placed a SEK 3.9 billion ($US 600 million) contract on Saab.
10/17/2007 | The contract is placed to commence the upgrading of 31 Swedish Air Force Gripen’s to the very latest C/D standard, and has also given the go ahead for the demonstrator programme for the future development of Gripen.

Image: Signing the contract is Rolf Höglund, FMV, and Lennart Sindahl, Saab Aerosystems. Standing behind them is Oscar Hull, FMV, Ann-Cristin Adolfsson, Saab Aerosystems, and Johan Lehander, Gripen International.
The agreement signed today follows the decision taken by the Swedish government earlier this year, based on a proposal by the Supreme Commander of the Swedish Armed Forces. FMV has now contracted Saab to undertake the upgrade of 31 of the Swedish Air Forces A/B standard of the Gripen, to the very latest C/D standard of the new generation fighter, now being delivered to export customers.

A uniform Gripen fleet with greater functionality
This programme will ensure that the Swedish Air Force remains at the leading edge of operational capability, with a uniform Gripen fleet with greater functionality and improved cost effectiveness and enhancing its ability to contribute to international peace support operations worldwide.

”The order is a clear sign that Sweden believes in Gripen’s future”, says Saab’s CEO Åke Svensson. “This upgrade ensures Gripen production until 2012 and the Demonstrator programme gives the opportunity to show Gripen’s strong development capabilities”.

Includes the development of a new Gripen test flying platform
The contract also includes an order for the Gripen demonstrator programme. The demonstrator programme includes the development of a new Gripen test flying platform - Gripen Demo - and a Gripen avionics rig. Gripen Demo will include new features such as a new engine with increased thrust, an AESA radar, increased range, new landing gear, increased weapons and stores capabilities and enhanced avionics structures.

The programme is driven by the future needs of current and potential customers, and incorporates state-of-the-art technology that will keep Gripen at the leading edge well into the future. This programme complements and enhances Gripen’s ongoing technology insertion programme with the highly successful Gripen C/D version now being delivered to customers worldwide.

World-leading aerospace companies invests
Investment in the demonstrator programme is being made by Saab and its international industrial partners, as well as potential future customers. In April 2007, Norway signed a Letter of Agreement regarding the future development of Gripen, valued at around US$ 25 million. General Electric together with Volvo, Honeywell, Rockwell Collins, APPH, Martin-Baker and Terma are just some of the world-leading aerospace companies that together with Saab, which has already invested some SEK 1 billion (US$ 155 million), are jointly investing in the Gripen demonstrator programme.

“The demonstrator programme gives Gripen a long term value and takes the system into the future. It is gratifying that such big players share our convictions about Gripen’s capability and future potential”, says Åke Svensson

I believe sweden will continue to move on with the project to counter the 4.5th generation planes in the export market. Pakistan might have another option by 2020 to replace her F-16s buy the new gripens. What do you guys think?

I believe sweden will continue to move on with the project to counter the 4.5th generation planes in the export market. Pakistan might have another option by 2020 to replace her F-16s buy the new gripens. What do you guys think?

Not a great idea. Gripen is not considered much superior to F-16 block 52. so basically it'll be replacing a good aircraft with a slightly better aircraft for a very high cost.

PAF would be better off looking at superior aircraft like rafale and EF

Not a great idea. Gripen is not considered much superior to F-16 block 52. so basically it'll be replacing a good aircraft with a slightly better aircraft for a very high cost.

PAF would be better off looking at superior aircraft like rafale and EF

Currently yes, i was talking about by 2020, in some forums it is stated as E/F. Well that would definately be very far from the F-16. It will have an AESA radar. But EF and Rafale isnt a bad option either. Also one must keep in mind the the life of the airframe of the F-16s have come to a complete end where as gripen is a totally new aircraft with a new airframe and with improving itself in the years to come. I meant that by that time PAF will have enough options and as PAF was interested in gripen before, so i wanted to discuss what are the chances PAF might opet for the newer version of the gripen. Not to forget that besides these three planes we might also have the option if the chinese Jxx.

Not a good idea, it will remain subject to future sanctions due high presence of American technology.

F-16's replacement will come from China as a derivative of FC-20 (J-10C+), another Sino-Pak JV called Super JF-17NG or even possibly from an indegenous platform.

If the Rafale or Tyfoon is selected it will be within next five years to expand PAF, not to replace anything.

Not a good idea, it will remain subject to future sanctions due high presence of American technology.

F-16's replacement will come from China as a derivative of FC-20 (J-10C+), another Sino-Pak JV called Super JF-17NG or even possibly from an indegenous platform.

If the Rafale or Tyfoon is selected it will be within next five years to expand PAF, not to replace anything.

If China will develope stealthy J-13/J-14, Then there is no need for PAF to go for european Jets.

I beg to differ here; PAF will need a non stealth (cheaper) replacement for most of its fleet since we would only need a few stealth squadrons to counter IAF, stealth will non be needed in western border for a long time to come.

we r getting too far ahead of ourselves. what makes us think that by 2020 the US will be willing to sell F-22 and the F-35 to Pakistan, assuming that we will have a flourishing democracy.

we r getting too far ahead of ourselves. what makes us think that by 2020 the US will be willing to sell F-22 and the F-35 to Pakistan, assuming that we will have a flourishing democracy.

No one implied that we'll be getting or even interested in F-22 or F-35, if we ever go stealth it will probably be a Chinese design not American.

is there any radar which can detect stealt fighter from large distance? I heard about VERA radar have this capability but I cannot find its specs on net.

it simply unbelivable that still we are thinking about getting , more than F-16s , guys come on wake up ! only best option what we have is something more than
j-10s???

i can bt on that , next US govt will not going to give a single f-16?

we , should also start building differnt stratagies in the view of growing fears about USAs prposed strike or S T R I K E S on pakistan .

why should not try GRIPEN , if we can get them fastly it will bring some sort of variety to our weak AIR FORCE.

AFTER all jst look at indian air force, they dosnt jst keep thinking only about SUs .

they have a lot of variety, they certnly cant attack USA , BUT surely they can defend themselves from USAs giant air force.

we , need to think more than f-16s.

No one implied that we'll be getting or even interested in F-22 or F-35, if we ever go stealth it will probably be a Chinese design not American.

Neo i know u r a expert on aviation matters but u will agree with me that stranger things have happened. US will need to market the F-22/F-35 in the international market for its aviation business to survive and really why not pakistan? (in 2020)

I think US is still a risky option. They might pose any more sanctions for one reason or the other, therefore Pakistan must look forward to trusted friend "China".

Neo i know u r a expert on aviation matters but u will agree with me that stranger things have happened. US will need to market the F-22/F-35 in the international market for its aviation business to survive and really why not pakistan? (in 2020)

Sir F-22 is not for sale, i highly doubt it would ever be made available for sale. Even Japan was being refused on the issue. However with JSF it would not be the case but then again, its availability for pakistan is higly unlikely the reason is there will be too much pressure from within US congress (indian backed elements) and from directly india which seems to be the center for american foreign policy these days.
Our option IMO will either be a rafale or typhoon, chinese option well cant say much about it, pakistan hasnt bought J-10 so far which shows pakistan's reluctantcy in acquiring chinese military hardware in jets. Besides it will also take much time for china to mature up with a stealth plane. Currently J-10 is the best they can offer and that comes within the category of a block-40. Lets wait and watch which way the wind blows.

Hi,

Indeed, F 22 will not be offered for sale. I doubt if britain or australia may get the oppurtunity to buy one either. This is an exclusively USAF aircraft and too much of revolutionary technology involved that even after 10 plus years, there may hardly be another plane coming close to it ability and capability.

Back
Top Bottom