What's new

Swiss Air Force documents on the evaluation of the Eurofighter, Gripen NG,Rafale

pkd

Reaction score
CTo3j2zXIAADKN_.jpg

CTo3kmRWUAAFgO6.jpg

CTo3lXMWEAEQl3n.jpg

CTo3lNtWoAEtGnp.jpg

And yet, they evaluation resulted in them selecting the Gripen...
With the referendum result, they are getting nothing.

Personally I like Gripen. I would've love to see it in PAF colors. Can you throw some light as what really convinced Swiss to choose Gripen over EFT and Rafale despite their evaluation results. What are the hidden benefits these results are not showing?

Personally I like Gripen. I would've love to see it in PAF colors. Can you throw some light as what really convinced Swiss to choose Gripen over EFT and Rafale despite their evaluation results. What are the hidden benefits these results are not showing?
Well Eurofighter is very expensive and Gripen is cheaper. Gripen is not expected to be pitted against EF and Rafale. So probably it was a financial decision. Switzerland also does not need Maritime capabilities as much so Rafale was counted out and another factor maybe delivery timeframe.

price.....

and this was not connected with the inability to pay but rather a "saver's" mentality. Gripen also won because of Sweden's neutral status, like Switzerland.

After it was revealed that the plane would have to be co-developed to a higher standard, the whole thing fell through in a referendum. Saver's mentality again.

Fast forward to 2015, cracks in F-5E fleet cause a third of fleet to be retired prematurely and tender for replacement reopen. We shall see what comes out of it.

Last edited:
Personally I like Gripen. I would've love to see it in PAF colors.

Sweden refused to sell us Gripens and consequently we had to concentrate on JF-17.
July 7, 2004 “There is no question of selling them weapons or anything directly related to weapons,” Swedish Foreign Minister Laila Freivalds said after her talks with visiting Pakistan President Pervez Musharraf in Stockholm

Sweden refused to sell us Gripens and consequently we had to concentrate on JF-17.
July 7, 2004 “There is no question of selling them weapons or anything directly related to weapons,” Swedish Foreign Minister Laila Freivalds said after her talks with visiting Pakistan President Pervez Musharraf in Stockholm
Gripen is not suitable for Pakistan, you will need 2 to 3 to counter 1 Rafale or 1 Su30MKI

Rafale came out on top in indian MMRCA competition which involved rigorous testing of all the euro canards and russian & american late model fighters like mig35 & teens upgraded.

The indians did their home work and where neutral without the effect of arm twisting that some nations subscumb too

Rafale came top for india

pity they cant afford the $30 billion to buy 125 planes

Rafale came top for india ...pity they cant afford the $30 billion to buy 125 planes

Indians asked the magic mirror from their 100,000 year old Vedic civilization, "Mirror mirror tell me, who is the richest of them all ?" It replied India so they planned 125 Rafale for $30 billion but then then the mirror stopped working and they realised they are poor and could afford only 36 Rafales !

Indians asked the magic mirror from their 100,000 year old Vedic civilization, "Mirror mirror tell me, who is the richest of them all ?" It replied India so they planned 125 Rafale for $30 billion but then then the mirror stopped working and they realised they are poor and could afford only 36 Rafales !

You are right but still 60-80 Numbers can be called the Magic Number and would be enough for this region

"Switzerland has chosen the Saab Gripen as its new fighter aircraft, in preference to the Dassault Rafale or Eurofighter Typhoon. Defense Minister Ueli Maurier told journalists that the Swedish package including 22 jets is worth $3.4 billion. The Gripen is not the highest performing of the three contenders, he said, but it meets the Swiss requirement and offers the lowest acquisition and maintenance costs. Swiss media earlier reported that the Eurofighter offer was about $4.3 billion, and the Rafale in the middle range between the Typhoon and the Gripen."

Simply good enough.
No need for a Lamborghini, when you can get a Porsche.

Well Eurofighter is very expensive and Gripen is cheaper. Gripen is not expected to be pitted against EF and Rafale. So probably it was a financial decision. Switzerland also does not need Maritime capabilities as much so Rafale was counted out and another factor maybe delivery timeframe.

Gripen E will have better Electronics than the Eurofighter, simply because it is developed now,
instead of ten years ago.
Eurofighter of course may get an MLU.

Rafale came out on top in indian MMRCA competition which involved rigorous testing of all the euro canards and russian & american late model fighters like mig35 & teens upgraded.

The indians did their home work and where neutral without the effect of arm twisting that some nations subscumb too

Rafale came top for india

pity they cant afford the $30 billion to buy 125 planes

Gripen E was not available until 2018, so this was too late for India.
In 2020, India may still terminate negotiations with Dassault about
the desired 18 Rafales, and start a new tender.

Here is the link to another version of evaluation.
http://files.newsnetz.ch/upload//1/2/12332.pdf

And it is clear from this that the comparision is Rafale/EF vs Gripen C.
Switzerland decided to go for Gripen E (aka Gripen NG)

Back
Top Bottom