What's new

Taiwan plans to buy four warships from US: report

You can exclude us Singaporean as well. Because when it really come into full conflict, we want not to be other people cannon fodders. Yeah, not for US, not for Asean, and especially not for India.

Every people and their state decide their destiny by their democratic free will. No people can be forced into any alliance or union or association of states.

Good news. The four ships would certainly be under the PLA navy flag given that China and Taiwan relationship is at its best for decades and Taiwan would soon intergrate its mother and holy land to form the Great Chinese empire.

I guess the insecure chinese will remove their hundreds of missiles pointed at Taiwan now .... These warships are more then enough to send shivers down the spine for Chinese , we all saw how meek the Chinese were against Philippines a few days ago

Good news. The four ships would certainly be under the PLA navy flag given that China and Taiwan relationship is at its best for decades and Taiwan would soon intergrate its mother and holy land to form the Great Chinese empire.

In contrast, it will cause difficulties for China to swallow Taiwan. And if China tries to swallow Taiwan, rather than become your boss "great chinese empire", it was divided into several parts....

Recent Taiwan/Vietnam military conflict/stand-off over Taiwan controlled Taiping Island in South China Sea against Vietnam warships has further proven my claim ridiculed Original Poster and other gleeful and foolish, history-less members on that topic.

So many fools from Vietnam and India attempting to pitch Taiwan against mainland over SCS! It’s all a result of their brainwashing education system and false mass media. :tdown:

What a joke! :lol:

You have rejoiced that Taiwan buys arms to fight against Vietnam/Philippines(!?). But your Chinese government is screaming to oppose the U.S arms sales to Taiwan. What a idiot. :lol:

AFP - China on Monday repeated its opposition to arms sales to Taiwan, following a media report that Taipei plans to buy four warships from the United States to modernise its aging fleet.
Taiwan's United Daily News said Sunday that the island was considering buying four Perry-class frigates built in the 1980s which are to be retired by the US navy.
"We oppose US arms sales to Taiwan. Our position is clear-cut and consistent," Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Liu Weimin told a regular news briefing.
China says it opposes any US arms sales to Taiwan - Yahoo! Singapore Finance

My Vietnamese friends, I think Taiwan is a lost cause. I have a very good friend from Taiwan and had hours and hours of conversation on this issue over the years. His opinion is that Taiwan will eventually unify with PRC, some day, it is a matter of when, not if. It is because most Taiwanese are migrants from mainland China, except for small percentage of indigenous population. As soon as PRC become more democratic and prosperous, then it will be in the mutual interest of PRC and Taiwan to create some kind of union, like it happened in case of Hong Kong and Macau.

This is just my honest opinion and I could be wrong about that. This is why I excluded Taiwan in the ASEAN+ regional union road map.

Currently (2010), mainland China has 3 provinces (out of 31 that are directly controlled by CPC, excluding Macao and Hong Kong) that have GDP surpassing Taiwan. Mainland China has about 25 times the GDP of Taiwan

If mainland manages to have 10 provinces that have GDP individually surpassing Taiwan, the people of Taiwan would lose completely their economical superior complex against the mainland.

At that time, mainland’s GDP would be probably 50 times of Taiwan’s, though GDP per capita is still lower.

This may take 10-20 years to happen and is absolutely possible.

Politically, if the mainland becomes partially democratic with Taiwan politicians having certain say in mainland system, there is no reason the two armies can’t unite against external threats: simple, if mainland can sign a mutual defense treaty with N Korea, why would not with Taiwan?

Such a democratic and united China could be a real nightmare for neighboring countries, because we all know democracy is about money and emotion. A China then would have a huge pool of money, immense human resources, pretty high tech, and very nationalistic emotion. If Taiwan politicians dominate China political arena, as a nature of democracy, and if you know ROC claims the whole Mongol, part of the N Korea, part of Vietnam, part of Burma, part of India, part of Russia, part of Kyrgyzstan, part of Tajikistan, some sea rocks with Japan and S Korea, and the whole of South China Sea, no soft tone could be expected.

Really I don’t the vast herds of fools in India and Vietnam would push or otherwise wish for a democratic China, unless they are tired of their good days with current weak Chinese Communist Government.

Currently (2010), mainland China has 3 provinces (out of 31 that are directly controlled by CPC, excluding Macao and Hong Kong) that have GDP surpassing Taiwan. Mainland China has about 25 times the GDP of Taiwan

If mainland manages to have 10 provinces that have GDP individually surpassing Taiwan, the people of Taiwan would lose completely their economical superior complex against the mainland.

At that time, mainland’s GDP would be probably 50 times of Taiwan’s, though GDP per capita is still lower.

This may take 10-20 years to happen and is absolutely possible.

Politically, if the mainland becomes partially democratic with Taiwan politicians having certain say in mainland system, there is no reason the two armies can’t unite against external threats: simple, if mainland can sign a mutual defense treaty with N Korea, why would not with Taiwan?

Such a democratic and united China could be a real nightmare for neighboring countries, because we all know democracy is about money and emotion. A China then would have a huge pool of money, immense human resources, pretty high tech, and very nationalistic emotion. If Taiwan politicians dominate China political arena, as a nature of democracy, and if you know ROC claims the whole Mongol, part of the N Korea, part of Vietnam, part of Burma, part of India, part of Russia, part of Kyrgyzstan, part of Tajikistan, some sea rocks with Japan and S Korea, and the whole of South China Sea, no soft tone could be expected.

Really I don’t the vast herds of fools in India and Vietnam would push or otherwise wish for a democratic China, unless they are tired of their good days with current weak Chinese Communist Government.

I see nothing wrong for people who have so much in common to unite for common good and I expect that to happen. Democracy will of course make China more powerful. But using that increased size and power to be over bearing and aggressive on other neighbors will not be a good thing for the Chinese in the long term. Even though China has 1.3 billion people, Asia itself has 4.1 billion and the world has more than 7 billion. So no country can force its will on the world, no matter how powerful they are.

Taiwan, ultimately will join the main land and the taiwanese leadership has already accepted this reality. They may be just
trying to get a favorable deal in the reunion other than that they are simply delaying the inevitable.

Back
Top Bottom