What's new

Tajik Army officer stuns Indian delegation with flawless Hindi

Sir why would i be jealous, may God give more of His blessings to you..i was just telling the history of the two languages and why are they so similar...and yes please do read the hindi-urdu contraversy..at first every one spoke Urdu but later on a different writing system for Hindi was developed...so you can say these languages are similar..but not same ...many words are different as for Hindi words of Urdu which had links to Farsi and Arabic were deliberately replaced with words from sanskrit.

Even the Hindus started speaking Urdu and started writing it in Persian script, under the rule of Muslim
Kingdoms. It was not until the British came and in 1700s or 1800s when the Hindi-Urdu controversy arrived
and hindus demanded that they should use their own ancient script which wasn't commonly used under
the 1000 year Muslim rule over India
. Thus today they write Hindi in a different way from our Urdu.

which hindus dude we hindus in south never used urdu or wrote persian script.we had our own languages and scripts as old if not older then persian. Even muslims from certain parts of karnataka, whole of kerala and tn dont speak urdu

Modern day Pakistan has been using the shahmukhi or persian text since centuries coz its been mostly a part of muslim empires....

We from Mumbai usually learn 3 languages in school ie english, hindi & marathi/sanskrit/french & in some schools even german and as I'm a malayalee, I was taught malayalam at home. So though I'm fluent in 3 Indian languages i.e Hindi, Marathi & Malayalam and also speak Gujarati & Tamil quite well, I still think English is one language which is most easy to communicate with people from all parts of India. Before I migrated, I had held a job which required a lot of travelling & I've travelled to almost every state in the country and I've found that english is spoken & understood everywhere, albeit different accents, pronounciations & some grammatical mistakes.

Its silly to ask for Hindi nationwide. I believe English ought to be made our national language since most people wouldn't face any issue switching over. I have neither the time nor the inclination to bother learning Hindi. I am comfortable with English, Malayalam and a lil' bit of Arabic.

Ahem Gentlemen I think the topic has gone off thread however lets get back to the topic, India influence is getting known.

@ Shrivasta dude, most of the Muslim kingdoms rarely ruled South India, it was North India
which was under their influence mostly..thus Urdu was spoken there, so i naturally meant North India .

@ Shrivasta dude, most of the Muslim kingdoms rarely ruled South India, it was North India
which was under their influence mostly..thus Urdu was spoken there, so i naturally meant North India .

then why do you say muslims ruled India for 1000 years, muslims ruled only a part of India think twice before saying that.And hindi is older than urdu.

http://www.hindisociety.com/ArticleHindiHistory.htm

then why do you say muslims ruled India for 1000 years, muslims ruled only a part of India think twice before saying that.

Bcoz india itself was never a united country but different princely states,empires etc... South india itself was ruled by alot of muslims like Tiger of Mysore Sultan Tipu.

Even the Hindus started speaking Urdu and started writing it in Persian script, under the rule of Muslim
Kingdoms. It was not until the British came and in 1700s or 1800s when the Hindi-Urdu controversy arrived
and hindus demanded that they should use their own ancient script which wasn't commonly used under
the 1000 year Muslim rule over India
. Thus today they write Hindi in a different way from our Urdu.

you give to much importance to hindi,before india became independant hindi was mostly limited to the u.p,bihar region(where delhi is situated) other places didnt gave hindi much importance,other regions had their own dominant language like marathi,gujrati,tamil,etc

So the Tajik officer in the original article could have been speaking Urdu all along? ;)

Hindi, Urdu, Hindustani etc whatever you want to call it its all the same

---------- Post added at 08:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:27 PM ----------

the 1000 year Muslim rule over India[/B]. Thus today they write Hindi in a different way from our Urdu.

if by India you mean Pakistan yes i know i am going off topic but the piece of land known as Pakistan today was the land that was ruled for 1,000 years this can be debated elsewhere but only the Mughals came close to ruling all of India and that was for like 100 years 150 years of Islamic rule apparently equals 1,000 :rofl:

Sanskrit should be the national language of India.

:disagree: We are better off without any national language.

I thought Sanskrit is the mother of all Indian languages.

No. Its not the 'mother' of any of the South Indian languages.

But its influence is there on the languages but to varying extent. From the most in Malayalam to least in Tamil.

BTW the actual mother of Malayalam is the Classic Tamil (Senthamizh) which was in vogue around the 10th century.

---------- Post added at 10:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 AM ----------

Tamil is actually older a language than Sanskrit.

No, it isn't.

There is no conclusive proof for either of the assertions.

---------- Post added at 10:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 AM ----------

Yeah I reckon they should one south Indian language compulsory subject, for a few years in school,so that people at least have a basic understanding. Have option to choose from Tamil, Telagu, Kannada and Malyalam.

Dude there should be no forced education of languages , except ofcourse English, anywhere in India. Learning Language is like learning an art. It should come out of interest and not compulsion.

This has been ages of misinformation. Tamil was the oldest language to split from Sanskrit, mate. It was the first language that split and went parallel as a separate language, but it essentially did come from Sanskrit. All Indian languages have. And very highly qualified Tamils accept this.

Do you know that Tamils Hindus (the priests) pray in Sanskrit as well?

Nopes. There is no proof that Tamil split from Sanskrit. As far as research goes Tamil is from a proto-dravidian family of language while sanlkrit is from Indo-European branch.

That being said there is a high possiblity that both interacted with each other and as a proof there are many loan words.

But one thing is for sure - Tamil did not originate from Sanskrit.

Regarding the Tamil priests thingy - Brahmins consider Sankrit the langauge of the Gods and learn it from an early age. Doesnt prove anything.

Malayalam IS itself tightly wound Sanskrit spoken very fast. I being Sikkimese could make out the meaning of lot of words correctly.

Actually Malayalam is just a modern version of classical Tamil (Senthamizh) which is no longer in use. Malayalam split away from Tamil as a separate langauge in about 10 th century or thereabouts.

But its also true that it has a good amount of Sanskrit influence.

“It is lifetime training and it changes you totally.”
Right! And when 1800 cadets sit down to dinner together in one of the biggest dining halls in the world, it's absolutely awesome! And you can't clunk your spoons/knives/forks on the plates. It's bad manners and you can be screwed for doing that - like 'front rolling' from the dining hall portico to the swimming pool a kilometer away!!
hot-sun-192.gif
Ouch!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom