What's new

Taliban and the Drug and Weapons Trade.

NWFP Governor while addressing a funcation in connection with International Customs Day before settign huge amount of drugs on fire, said
The international Drug Mafia is fundding terrorism in Pakistan, particularly in NWFP".

Im trying to post more information after a while.

I would like your views on this.

I agree with him on this keeping view the booming narcotics in Afghanistan under the very nose of USA.

BBC NEWS | South Asia | Afghans burn '60 tons of drugs'

Afghans burn '60 tons of drugs'

Burning drug piles
The Afghan authorities say they have burned more than 60 tons of illegal drugs in a demonstration of their efforts to curb drugs trafficking.
Piles of drugs were set alight at eight locations around the country, the biggest being on the outskirts of the capital, Kabul.

Afghanistan produced 90% of the world's opium in 2004.

In a similar operation in Pakistan, officials say around 26 tons of narcotics were burned in Karachi.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...ld's-biggest-drug-seizure-in-Afghanistan.html

World's biggest drug seizure in Afghanistan
By David Blair, Diplomatic Editor
Last Updated: 6:47AM BST 12/06/2008
Afghanistan's police claim to have made the largest drugs seizure in history after they discovered hashish worth at least £200 million.

AP
RAF bombers have destroyed 260 tons of hashish hidden in 6-foot-deep trenches in southern Afghanistan
About 260 tons of narcotics were found in trenches and bunkers in Kandahar province in southern Afghanistan.

No previous haul comes close to matching this find, which weighed roughly the same as 30 double-decker buses.

The previous record was set by Colombia's security forces when they uncovered 81 tons of coca.

Currently almost 90 % of fine quality drugs in US and European markets stem from Afghanistan and its shamfull that NATO/ US had closed eyes towards it.

A lot of factors in play here.

First, Karzai is crucial to US efforts in Afghanistan, and his regime is heavily involved in the drug trade (though he personally may not be), hence any ,major action against the drug trade will alienate Karzai, and most likely topple his regime causing even greater instability and reducing the legitimacy of the US backed government and the US?NATO presence.

Second, With US development efforts coming along at a snails pace (as indicated by that report in the IHT posted in another thread), any major action against farmers growing poppy will result in an alienation of the populace, as their only source of livelihood is taken away, and most likely drive them into supporting the Taliban, or involved in other illegal activities that destabilize Afghanistan further.

Its ironic, but though the US has criticized Pakistan for having "flawed peace deals" with the Taliban (undertaken due to Pakistani domestic compulsions) it has itself done the "wrong thing" by looking the other way for the most part when it comes to the Afghan regime's involvement in drugs.

where do the drug lords deposit there money i means banking wise.if u can answer that u will see why Americans encourage this and not destroy it.:cheesy:

where do the drug lords deposit there money i means banking wise.if u can answer that u will see why Americans encourage this and not destroy it.:cheesy:

Why will USA do it for money in their banks ? They are already spending so much money on they WOT why would the launder drug money ?

AM and other members has very clearly stated why drugs are wide spread in Afghanistan. In 5 - 10 years I doubt any drugs will be grown there.

Regards

Have any of you seen Zaid Hamid's brasstacks. I'm not sure how accurate it is, but he goes on to claim that the drug business is almost 500 billion + dollars and that the CIA actively take part in it for a cut. I wouldn't be surprised because in order to make Heroin you need chemicals that aren't readily available in Afghanistan or Pakistan. Wonder where the chemicals come from?

ONe should note, that under the Taliban, poppy cultivation had fallen dramatically.

Have any of you seen Zaid Hamid's brasstacks. I'm not sure how accurate it is, but he goes on to claim that the drug business is almost 500 billion + dollars and that the CIA actively take part in it for a cut. I wouldn't be surprised because in order to make Heroin you need chemicals that aren't readily available in Afghanistan or Pakistan. Wonder where the chemicals come from?

ONe should note, that under the Taliban, poppy cultivation had fallen dramatically.

Dear ZP,

How about some proof on your claim that CIA RUNS THE drug trade.

Regards

Dear ZP,

Regards

First of all its not my claim so calm down. Its a claim, like I said made by a Zaid Hamid. However one wonders, how even with Afghanistan under I'm assuming the control of the US, has managed to increase poppy cultivation to record levels. One needs to wonder where the necessary chemicals are coming from to make heroin. These chemicals aren't made in Afghanistan or Pakistan.

One can only question that if the poppy trade is so detrimental to US/NATO efforts in the region, why has NATO with all its technology and manpower failed to curtail if not stop the cultivation and trade of the poppy crop. If a rag-tag group like the Taliban can cut poppy cultivation down, certainly shouldn't be a problem for the US.

Or is there something more sinister involved. The CIA have a history of encouraging poppy use, back in the day, trying to get Soviet soldiers addicted. Why would it be different now.

Dear ZP,

Regards

Let me reverse that question how bout a proof C.I.A dosent run it.other then denying it you cant prove any thing can ya.

These wars are about oil, not democracy

PARIS -- The ugly truth behind the Iraq and Afghanistan wars finally has emerged.

Four major western oil companies, Exxon Mobil, Shell, BP and Total are about to sign U.S.-brokered no-bid contracts to begin exploiting Iraq's oil fields. Saddam Hussein had kicked these firms out three decades ago when he nationalized Iraq's oil industry. The U.S.-installed Baghdad regime is welcoming them back.

Iraq is getting back the same oil companies that used to exploit it when it was a British colony.

As former fed chairman Alan Greenspan recently admitted, the Iraq war was all about oil. The invasion was about SUV's, not democracy.

Afghanistan just signed a major deal to launch a long-planned, 1,680-km pipeline project expected to cost $8 billion. If completed, the Turkmenistan-Afghanistan-Pakistan-India pipeline (TAPI) will export gas and later oil from the Caspian basin to Pakistan's coast where tankers will transport it to the West.

The Caspian basin located under the Central Asian states of Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan and Kazakkstan, holds an estimated 300 trillion cubic feet of gas and 100-200 billion barrels of oil. Securing the world's last remaining known energy El Dorado is a strategic priority for the western powers.

But there are only two practical ways to get gas and oil out of land-locked Central Asia to the sea: Through Iran, or through Afghanistan to Pakistan. Iran is taboo for Washington. That leaves Pakistan, but to get there, the planned pipeline must cross western Afghanistan, including the cities of Herat and Kandahar.

PIPELINE DEAL

In 1998, the Afghan anti-Communist movement Taliban and a western oil consortium led by the U.S. firm Unocal signed a major pipeline deal. Unocal lavished money and attention on the Taliban, flew a senior delegation to Texas, and hired a minor Afghan official, Hamid Karzai.

Enter Osama bin Laden. He advised the unworldly Taliban leaders to reject the U.S. deal and got them to accept a better offer from an Argentine consortium. Washington was furious and, according to some accounts, threatened the Taliban with war.

In early 2001, six or seven months before 9/11, Washington made the decision to invade Afghanistan, overthrow the Taliban, and install a client regime that would build the energy pipelines. But Washington still kept sending money to the Taliban until four months before 9/11 in an effort to keep it "on side" for possible use in a war against China.

The 9/11 attacks, about which the Taliban knew nothing, supplied the pretext to invade Afghanistan. The initial U.S. operation had the legitimate objective of wiping out Osama bin Laden's al-Qaida. But after its 300 members fled to Pakistan, the U.S. stayed on, built bases -- which just happened to be adjacent to the planned pipeline route -- and installed former Unocal "consultant" Hamid Karzai as leader.

Washington disguised its energy geopolitics by claiming the Afghan occupation was to fight "Islamic terrorism," liberate women, build schools and promote democracy. Ironically, the Soviets made exactly the same claims when they occupied Afghanistan from 1979-1989. The Iraq cover story was weapons of mass destruction and democracy.

Work will begin on the TAPI once Taliban forces are cleared from the pipeline route by U.S., Canadian and NATO forces. As American analyst Kevin Phillips writes, the U.S. military and its allies have become an "energy protection force."

ADDED BENEFIT

From Washington's viewpoint, the TAPI deal has the added benefit of scuttling another proposed pipeline project that would have delivered Iranian gas and oil to Pakistan and India.

India's energy needs are expected to triple over the next decade. Delhi, which has its own designs on Afghanistan, is ****-a-hoop over the new pipeline plan.

Russia, by contrast, is grumpy, having hoped to monopolize Central Asian energy exports.

Energy is more important than blood in our modern world. The U.S. is a great power with massive energy needs. Domination of oil is a pillar of America's world power. Let's be realistic. Afghanistan and Iraq are about oil, nothing else.

TorontoSun.com - Eric Margolis - These wars are about oil, not democracy

So lets stop calling it W.O.T and lets call it what it is theft with terror.i hope above post will clear your view why americans are spending money to steal oh my bad i mean W.O.T:usflag:

Let me reverse that question how bout a proof C.I.A dosent run it.other then denying it you cant prove any thing can ya.

These wars are about oil, not democracy

PARIS -- The ugly truth behind the Iraq and Afghanistan wars finally has emerged.

Work will begin on the TAPI once Taliban forces are cleared from the pipeline route by U.S., Canadian and NATO forces. As American analyst Kevin Phillips writes, the U.S. military and its allies have become an "energy protection force."

So lets stop calling it W.O.T and lets call it what it is theft with terror.i hope above post will clear your view why americans are spending money to steal oh my bad i mean W.O.T:usflag:

There is no ugly truth or mind blowing revelations in that article. Why is UK and Germany in Afghanistan ? We get most of our fuel via the North Sea or thru the pipelines in europe ?

There is no free ticket in this world and everyone will use the circumstances to their advantage.

Do you think Pakistan helped get rid of the Russians from Afghanistan for saving the ummah ? NO they did for economic and political reasons.

Is Pakistan now helping send foreign terrorists of AQ to USA for free NO !

Is not Pakistan asking for re-imbursement for the WOT both financially and politically YES.

So why blame the US ?

However inspite of that you have not posted one link to state that CIA is actively involved in the Drug trade in Afghanistan. In todays world all accusation must be backed by proof otherwise they are their worth in toilet paper.

Your statement that I must prove that CIA is not involved in the trade is hollow and lame as what some members posted in another thread stating that Gen M was financially corrupt without posting any proof.

Regards

Do you think Pakistan helped get rid of the Russians from Afghanistan for saving the ummah ? NO they did for economic and political reasons.

Why do you think mujahideens fought? Then ask yourself where all the mujahideens came from.

Thanks.

Yes, stingers fought all the war. I just wanted to turn your light bulb on. Rest is your understanding which you can stick with.

Why do you think mujahideens fought? Then ask yourself where all the mujahideens came from.

Thanks.

In the same time, the United States involvement to the Afghanistan domestic policy increased as well. On July 3, 1979, U.S. President Carter signed a presidential finding authorizing funding for anticommunist guerrillas in Afghanistan.[20] As a part of the Central Intelligence Agency program Operation Cyclone, the massive arming of Afghanistan's mujahideen was started. Zbigniew Brzezinski, United States National Security Advisor in 1977-1981, claimed that "we were actively and directly supporting the resistance movement in Afghanistan, the purpose of which was to fight the Soviet army".[21]

After the Soviet deployment, Pakistan's military ruler General Muhammad Zia-ul-Haq started accepting financial aid from the Western powers to aid the mujahideen.[49] In 1981, following the election of United States President Ronald Reagan, aid for the mujahideen through Zia's Pakistan significantly increased, mostly due to the efforts of Texas Congressman Charlie Wilson and CIA officer Gust Avrakotos.

The United States, the United Kingdom and Saudi Arabia became major financial contributors, the United States donating "$600 million in aid per year, with a matching amount coming from the Gulf states."[50] The People's Republic of China also sold Type 56 (AKM) assault rifles and Type 69 RPGs to mujahideen in co-operation with the CIA, as did Egypt with assault rifles. Of particular significance was the donation of American-made FIM-92 Stinger anti-aircraft missile systems, which increased aircraft losses of the Soviet Air Force.[

Regards

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom