What's new

Taliban announce cease-fire in Pakistan valley

DS all these groups have to be dis-armed. this should be the primary condition.

I am almost certain this bill will fail on the disarmament and education provisions - if the GoP gives in on those issues, then perhaps it, and we, deserve what will come from that, and Muse's criticizm is absolutely correct.

The larger question here, as has been implied by some, isn't what the bill is called, but what it actually entails - whether the bill protects the rights of all residents, does not discriminate on the basis of gender or faith etc.

I am looking at this from a more long term perspective - if we can continue to protect those basic rights in this bill, disarm militants, establish peace and reestablish strong state institutions (law enforcement and governance) then there is a strong chance that society will continue to remain moderate, and the hardliners will eventually lose influence and die off.

If the state can establish its writ, and learn lessons from where things went wrong in this particular instance, and eradicate future problems before they spread, then this ha a chance of working out in the long term.

But I still think the TTP-S will not be satisfied with anything other than a system that is medieval and barbaric, and therefore will not disarm.

I think PA should hold referendum in Swat and other areas and if people want Sharia then Sharia Law should be the main law in these areas.I don't see any problem with this honestly but No one should be allowed to challenge writ of Government.

I read somewhere , Qazi Adalat system exist and implemented during the time of Wali-e-swat later some political party abolish that. And same system is demanding by these people, which is quick and free, instead these poor people spend thousands of rupees for small cases and travel distant areas. But i think Qazi Adalat also comes under provincial govt jurisdiction.

This is not the way to implement a certain system be it the sharia law or anything else. Right now militants raised weapons against the state, they need to be destroyed with full force without remorse. Why because firstly we don't know how sincere they are when they demand for sharia law, to me that's just a cover up for their terrorist activities, second this is no way to implement something i.e with a gun in your hand.]
It would be better if we double cross them this time, lets bring them into the open in the name of negotiations and then do what we do best, kill them all.

It is being sold as Nifaz e Adl - and as such it is more than 2 decades old.

Rationale: It will be claimed that the locals object to the length of time it takes to get a judgement under the Pakistani Judicial system and that the locals are used to and want speedy justice.
Recall Mr. Musharraf's promise of speedy justice.

Where have we see such a thing before??

Well, One China two systems?? Hong Kong?

Yes, well, that's the way it is to sold -- it's rubbish and a beginning of a sell out to the Talib. A state without will.
I'm fairly certain the locals of Swat are not the ones who have taken up arms. I'm sure you must've been there during the better days and had noticed that those guys are probably more into food than AKs.

They aren't your typical mountain folks with guns.

These are outsiders, locals want outsiders out. The government is wrong and needs to keep up the offensive in this case. The demographics are a hindrance but even ugly things need to be done.

I think we should take upon this oportunity to atainlasting peace in our country..Cia and Raw have been trying to destabilise our country..They r the ones who r funding the pashtoons n turning them agaisnt us..Ever since we tested nuclear weapons US is scared of us and is therefore getting taliban to fight us like it got them to fight Russia..
Inshaallah we will win this battle

10 days of peace in exchange for Sharia Law. This is surrender guys. The Taliban have won

"This is definitely a surrender," said Khadim Hussain of the Aryana Institute for Regional Research and Advocacy, a thinktank in Islamabad. "If you keep treating a community as something different from the rest of the country, it will isolate them."

Javed Iqbal, a retired judge, speaking on Pakistani television, said: "It means that there is not one law in the country. It will disintegrate this way. If you concede to this, you will go on conceding."

Pakistan imposes Islamic law in Taliban stronghold | World news | guardian.co.uk

On the other hand, we have this:

"That was our only demand," Muslim Khan told The Associated Press via telephone. "Once Islamic law is imposed there will be no problems in Swat. The Taliban will lay down their arms."
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hkiMxbHNH0BqgpWA2ZG6VD6wVTmAD96C1J6O1

Last edited:
I think PA should hold referendum in Swat and other areas and if people want Sharia then Sharia Law should be the main law in these areas.I don't see any problem with this honestly but No one should be allowed to challenge writ of Government.

This is why Gen Musharraf introduced the local body govt. so that districts and provinces have more power to decide.

Pakistan imposes Islamic law in Taliban stronghold | World news | guardian.co.uk

Pakistan is to impose Islamic law in a vast region of the north-west called Malakand in an attempt to placate extremists, even as President Asif Zardari warns that they are "trying to take over the state".

Pakistani Taliban militants who are in control of the Swat valley in the region announced a ceasefire tonight, reacting to the government's agreement to bring in sharia courts.

Malakand is part of North West Frontier province, a regular part of Pakistan, not the wild tribal area, which runs along the Afghan border.

Critics warned that the new sharia regulations represented a capitulation to the extremists' demands, and that it would be difficult to stop hardliners elsewhere in the country from demanding that their areas also come under Islamic law.

"This is definitely a surrender," said Khadim Hussain of the Aryana Institute for Regional Research and Advocacy, a thinktank in Islamabad. "If you keep treating a community as something different from the rest of the country, it will isolate them."

Javed Iqbal, a retired judge, speaking on Pakistani television, said: "It means that there is not one law in the country. It will disintegrate this way. If you concede to this, you will go on conceding."

The deal, set to be announcedtomorrow, follows talks between the government and a local Islamic leader, Sufi Muhammad, who once led hundreds of men to fight alongside the Taliban in Afghanistan against the US-led coalition. He was freed by the Pakistani authorities after the restoration of democracy last year, in a move heavily criticised by Washington.

In an interview broadcast todayby the US television channel CBS, Zardari admitted that the future of Pakistan was in grave danger from the Taliban, who are present in "huge parts" of the country. Islamabad is under severe pressure from the US, Britain and other western allies to rein in the extremists, who fight both in Pakistan and Afghanistan and play host to al-Qaida.

Zardari said: "We are aware of the fact [the Taliban are] trying to take over the state of Pakistan. We're fighting for the survival of Pakistan. "

Zardari's wife, the former prime minister Benazir Bhutto, was killed by Islamic extremists in 2007. "I lost my wife, my children's mother," the president said. "It's important to stop them and make sure that it doesn't happen again and they don't take over our way of life."

Hajji Adeel, a senior member of the Awami National party which runs the government of North West Frontier province that undertook the negotiations with Muhammad, said the main aim of the new law was to speed up the justice system. Under the new regulations, criminal cases would be disposed of within four months and civil cases in six months, he said.

The creaky colonial-era legal system in Pakistan means that cases drag on for years, sometimes decades, a major source of anger for ordinary people. "If six months ago, this [sharia] had started working in Swat, the intensity of the terror there would have been much less," said Adeel.

The ANP a proudly secular party, has come under sustained attack from the Taliban, and last week one of its members in the provincial parliament was killed by a roadside bomb.

The new law is a relatively mild form of sharia, with the aim of undermining support for the extremists and their populist demand for speedy Islamic justice. Religious experts, known as a qazi, will sit in the court, alongside a regular judge, to ensure that the rulings are in compliance with Islam.

However, many believe that the Taliban will not ultimately accept this form of Islamic law. Muhammad is not part of the Taliban and it is unclear how far his influence goes.

The Swat Taliban's ceasefire, described as a "goodwill gesture", will only last for 10 days, while it decides what to do. Muhammad has undertaken to tour the area to convince the militants to put down their arms. In Swat, the Taliban have for months been enforcing their brutal version of Islamic justice, which includes public floggings and summary executions. The Taliban are also entrenched across the tribal area.

the army is taking orders from the civilian govt. if the govt. says they are going to negotiate with the taliban (right or wrong is not the issue here) then the army has to abide. isnt this what all pakistanis want. the army taking dictation from the civilian govt.s political decisions.

Well, you have a point here & well recieved too.

However what I find diff to accept ( in the absence of cogent inputs) is that an army of the caliber of the PA is unable to get things ' under control' more so given that almost all weapon systems have / are being employed. I have seen clips of field artillery, attack helicopters.. the whole lot with the exception of the Navy & Nuc weapons being employed.

Are the Talibs so well equipped / entrenched ?

Its guerilla war..Please dont post silly things..The war is on n will not end simply beacuse its a socio economic problem rather than military problem..Similar to naxalism..So if u use army or navy or airfore it doesnt work...So its certainly not abt whether they r stronger bu abt the kind of war it is..
Ever heard of mlitary objectives..War is not only abt winning n losing..Its abt ataining the military objectives..Here its difficult to obtain.

I think we should take upon this oportunity to atainlasting peace in our country..Cia and Raw have been trying to destabilise our country..They r the ones who r funding the pashtoons n turning them agaisnt us..Ever since we tested nuclear weapons US is scared of us and is therefore getting taliban to fight us like it got them to fight Russia..
Inshaallah we will win this battle

You are totally wrong here

No body is funding pushtoon tribes ,they are brave and true muslims always shed their blood for Pakistan and also play the role of fighting arm for pakistan in future also insahallah.

US is not scared of few nukes of pakistan , they want to break the network of Al QAEDA.

Afghan talaban are emotional and stupid ,they trapped by Al QAEDA whole nation of Afghan paying the price for that stupidty.

Try to learn ,read books and grow man :enjoy:

Its guerilla war..Please dont post silly things..The war is on n will not end simply beacuse its a socio economic problem rather than military problem..Similar to naxalism..So if u use army or navy or airfore it doesnt work...So its certainly not abt whether they r stronger bu abt the kind of war it is..
Ever heard of mlitary objectives..War is not only abt winning n losing..Its abt ataining the military objectives..Here its difficult to obtain.

Again you misunderstood , lost and confused.

There is no gurilla war going on inside pakistan, In SWAT and MARDAN local tribes are demanding shariah law , PA did mistake to supress them through weapons.

Recently truce signed on basis of five points ,we hope that agreement will help to restore peace in that area.

Last edited:
Wasnt this done before with no frutifull outcome. Ceasefire is always called for by the rebels to rearm and regroup. They cant leave in peace, they have no role to play in peace times. Look at SL LTTE always used ceasefires to rearm and regroup and came out stronger.

Wasnt this done before with no frutifull outcome. Ceasefire is always called for by the rebels to rearm and regroup. They cant leave in peace, they have no role to play in peace times. Look at SL LTTE always used ceasefires to rearm and regroup and came out stronger.

Please compare apple with apple ,these SAWT and MARDAN tribes are not demanding any independence from pakistan ,they are loyal pakistanis and wanted remain with pakistan but under shariah law ,this is their right.Pakistan is democratic country every body has right to practice his religion .

NWFP assembly passed shariah bill and submitted to supreme court ,which was rejected by SC .
Then they started this movement of non compliance of present non islamic justice system of pakistan.

Back
Top Bottom