What's new

Taliban video game sparks outrage

Lankan Ranger

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Taliban video game sparks outrage

A video game in which the players pretend to be heavily armed Taliban guerrillas has sparked anger, with British Defence Secretary Liam Fox calling for a ban and a security expert stating that "the Afghanistan campaign isn't a game - it's happening".

The video game is the updated version of "Medal Of Honour" that is scheduled to be available in October. The game allows players to `attack' brave British Forces in Afghanistan using AK-47 rifles.

The players are reportedly told to stop the security forces "at all costs", and they are awarded points for each Allied soldier they kill.

Defence Secretary Liam Fox called for a ban on the game.

"It's shocking someone would think it acceptable to recreate the acts of the Taliban," The Sun Monday quoted Fox as saying.

Security adviser Andy McNab called the video game "insensitive" and added: "The Afghanistan campaign isn't a game - it's happening."

However, a spokesperson for the game's developer Electronic Arts said: "It reflects the fact every conflict has two sides."

Read more: Taliban video game sparks outrage - South Asia - World - The Times of India Taliban video game sparks outrage - South Asia - World - The Times of India

Game developers scoring cheap points as usual. I will not be purchasing this game for my brother after all. We didn't witness two explosions to spend 5000 rupees spending our free time recreating how Taliban ambush people. I want to mow them down, not enjoy warfare in their dim and suffocating perspective. What happens after the battle? Do we get to travel back to our villages and execute a woman we think is attractive on concocted adultery charges? Will the game allow us to choose which size whip we will use on innocent girls? Or which suicide bomber to send into a market?

"It's shocking someone would think it acceptable to recreate the acts of the Taliban," The Sun Monday quoted Fox as saying.

It was quite a shock for me when I realized that anyone can fire RPG's and Javelin's at Mosques and civilians in "Call of Duty - Modern Warfare" but you don't see me whining about it? Millions of kids everyday are being taught by video games to butcher anyone that speaks anything other than English. Just because "Brave British Soldiers" are involved, its not a two-way street anymore?

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
It was quite a shock for me when I realized that anyone can fire RPG's and Javelin's at Mosques and civilians in "Call of Duty - Modern Warfare" but you don't see me whining about it? Millions of kids everyday are being taught by video games to butcher anyone that speaks anything other than English. Just because "Brave British Soldiers" are involved, its not a two-way street anymore?

It's not right in either case, game developers are scoring cheap points. Both send the wrong message. However fun they might be to play, subconsciously the messages are wrong. I'm sure you know in one game how you are a terrorist and kill innocents in an airport. That caused controversy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spot on sir.. Spot on!

Last edited by a moderator:
they should be told after all its just a game, talibans will not use it as a propaganda as americans and brits do

It's not right in either case, game developers are scoring cheap points. Both send the wrong message. However fun they might be to play, subconsciously the messages are wrong. I'm sure you know in one game how you are a terrorist and kill innocents in an airport. That caused controversy.

Yes, I do remember that "Massacre" hence my point, kill anyone that isn't an American or a British. Video games these days are fun to play but their story lines are getting repetitive.

Kill the "Haji" save the "Queen".

in all war games multiplayer you play as evil or good....

In ww2 games you play as allied or Axis....

Vietnam game you play as Marine or veitnamese.

Gulf war games you play as Iraqi or as USAF.

Cold war game you play as russian or American.

So whats the big deal....

I like this tittle series very much.
I just want MOH beat down COD.

@Imran and Paladin

My favorite was snow bros and bubble booble :)

I still have it on mame emulator. Now its free so is Stree fighter and art of fighting

Back
Top Bottom