What's new

Taliban video speaks of ‘revenge on military’

Can't the ISI/MI infiltrate TTP and other terrorist groups and then assassinate their top leadership in some way with the help of SSG? Do we really need artillery and attack helicopters? Cant we penetrate and dismantle TTP and other groups in some clandestine way?

I mean it is hard for Americans to do same in Afghanistan but we have all the advantages: we are natives, we know the language, and have presence in tribal areas. This WoT has been going on for a decade with no end in sight.

sorry dude, no one, I mean NO ONE can ever control the Afghans, ever!!! no one can influence them, no one can force them and no one can direct them. time and again they have proven that. I hope the Penny will drop one day for the Americans if not today.

if we had any control at all or any influence at all we would have requested them to

1. take out the TTP safe heavens in Afghanistan.
2. Take out the BLA training camps in Afghanistan
3. stop the fight with the Afghan/ US troops and start peace talks to help US leave earlier.
4. declare that they have no relation to TTP and sever any relations with them.

but none of that has happened. we do have links with them just like any security agency will do in its neighbourhood will do and its these links (that you call control) that are enabling the Afghan insurgents and the US Govt to hold talks in Afghanistan and in Doha / Dubai and Qatar etc.
I agree that the Afghans are a tough bunch to control, more so the Afghan Taliban! But it's a well known fact that the ISI is supporting them (Afghan Taliban) in order to establish a 'friendly and pliable' government in Afghanistan. This will ensure that Pakistan's Western front is protected, neutralizing the so called Indian 'pincer'. Also, the prospect of free movement and establishment of energy hubs to Central Asia via Afghanistan.

What you mentioned in points 1 to 4 is not the aim and priority which is to send the Americans/ISAF packing from Afghanistan with a bloody nose. Taliban resources cannot be wasted in trying to neutralize internal insurgencies which the PA is taking on. And more importantly, both the TTP and the Afghan Taliban do have links, though tenuous and therefore will never train their guns at each other.

Do read this piece from the Council On Foreign Relations as well as the book by Bruce Riedel, an expert on South Asia at the Brookings Institution.

The ISI and Terrorism: Behind the Accusations

Cheers!

I agree that the Afghans are a tough bunch to control, more so the Afghan Taliban! But it's a well known fact that the ISI is supporting them (Afghan Taliban) in order to establish a 'friendly and pliable' government in Afghanistan. This will ensure that Pakistan's Western front is protected, neutralizing the so called Indian 'pincer'. Also, the prospect of free movement and establishment of energy hubs to Central Asia via Afghanistan.

What you mentioned in points 1 to 4 is not the aim and priority which is to send the Americans/ISAF packing from Afghanistan with a bloody nose. Taliban resources cannot be wasted in trying to neutralize internal insurgencies which the PA is taking on. And more importantly, both the TTP and the Afghan Taliban do have links, though tenuous and therefore will never train their guns at each other.

Do read this piece from the Council On Foreign Relations as well as the book by Bruce Riedel, an expert on South Asia at the Brookings Institution.

The ISI and Terrorism: Behind the Accusations

Cheers!
well established fact?

by who?

a hazara pretending to be a taliban commander in the BBC program? or Amr Ullah Salay a Khad agent since the Soviet occupation time that has been involved in terrorism in Pakistan to punish it for the support of Mujahideen

funny that how many former associates of the brutal communist regime in Afghanistan are suddenly moral authority over the Afghan conflict and are acting as "experts" now

the only expertise is criticising Pakistan and that is enough for a sell value.

Any neighbour of Afghanistan will want to have a friendly at best or and nonhostile regime at least when the Americans leave. So Pakistan is no exception all bordering countries are nervously watching as the this conflict enters its 11th year.
A friendly and peaceful Afghanistan is not just beneficial to Pakistan but all those Afghan neighbours who want a safe and secure route to export their wealth to the world.

Thanks for linking this article, but I think you or some other Indians like Karen can do a much better job of writing anything against ISI. The article hacks any expertise and is amateurish at best. Accusations and assumptions being presented as proofs and facts are the tools of trade in the current time. Do it at a wholesale rate and bingo we have a convincing story that can affect the public opinion.

By the way this discussion stops here because we are moving away from the topic

Can't the ISI/MI infiltrate TTP and other terrorist groups and then assassinate their top leadership in some way with the help of SSG? Do we really need artillery and attack helicopters? Cant we penetrate and dismantle TTP and other groups in some clandestine way?

I mean it is hard for Americans to do same in Afghanistan but we have all the advantages: we are natives, we know the language, and have presence in tribal areas. This WoT has been going on for a decade with no end in sight.

are you following news from the past of my earlier posts?

Taliban have killed their own men and ordinary tribesmen on suspicion of spying. we have lost our own ISI agents on regular bases.

we have infiltrated and caused infighting among the TTP, that is why there have been groups formed and in some cases they killed each other area commanders.

but its not that easy as you make it.
the FAFA is not like your typical town. people know every single person by name and family. you cant just walk in and start living there. Tribesmen re highly xenophobic and suspicious kind even in the best of the peaceful times.

Every method and every possibility is tried to get an edge in this sort of a fight. Artillery and air strikes are just one of the many options. By the way killing the leadership doesn’t have that much impact on Pashtons like it would do in the other part of the world. although some leaders do get a legendary status and are an aspiration for the Pashtons but they are quickly replaced by someone else when they fall.

The Soviets tried that by sending their sniper teams and commandos in Pakistan and Afghanistan and killed many commanders that I cant even remember but that never stopped the Mujahideen. Can you count how many TTP leders we have killed already? And how many Taliban commanders have been captured or killed by the Americans? Has it put a significant dent on their will to fight? I am not discounting the need and significance of taking out commanders but that is not the only and ultimate solution. Their supplies and support both local and foreign needs to be broken down and that’s what will make them weak and dry out just like a tumour will die once its blood supply is severed.

like I said earlier, this blood includes soldiers and officers up to Generals. talking to enemy is not making a business deal.

there is a distinction between the terrorists and the ordinary tribesmen and that is a must (although TTP will wish we dont) we must distinguish between the hardcore terrorists and those who are simply opposed to the Army operation and see it as a collusion with the American occupation of Afghanistan and dishonouring age old agreement of not intruding into their way of life.

don’t forget how many elders and maliks and ordinary tribesmen have been slaughtered by these terrorists. They haven’t even spared women and children. Lets not forget that. one their supply line will dry out from Afghanistan they will dry up and die out. Easier said than done. This is insurgency war for you.

We need the technology as well as the will to fight and the support of the people to win this war. all these elements will support each other and help in flushing these terrorists out.

My biggest disappointment is where the pro-government tribesmen had been left at the mercy of the Taliban. they need to be protected with utmost priority.

Very wise and soberly written.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom