What's new

TATA Nano, World cheapest car made by India

Silent observer

Reaction score
Cheap car from India could cost $8,000 in US
Ultracheap Nano could come to US in 3 years with $8,000 price tag

By Tom Krisher, AP Auto Writer

DETROIT (AP) -- The world's cheapest car is being readied for sale in the U.S., but by the time India's Tata Nano is retrofitted to meet emissions and safety standards, it won't be that cheap.

Tata Technologies Ltd., the global engineering arm of the Tata group conglomerate, brought the tiny car to Detroit as a publicity stunt for the engineering group.

Tata officials, while maintaining that they couldn't speak for Tata Motors, maker of the $2,500 Nano, said they were involved with the Nano from concept until it launched last July in Mumbai.

They wouldn't say when the Nano might arrive in the U.S. or how much it might cost here, although Ratan Tata, chairman of the group of Tata companies, has said it should be ready for U.S. distribution in about three years.

Tata Motors already has made a European version of the four-seat car that will cost about $8,000 when it debuts in 2011, and a Tata Technologies official said privately that the U.S. version is expected to have a comparable price. The official did not want to be identified because the price has not been made public.

Warren Harris, Tata Technologies president, would only say that the price would be more than the roughly $2,500 charged in India.

"The structural changes that would need to be made, the changes that would be required as far as emissions are concerned, and some of the features that would be appropriate to add to the vehicle for the North American market, obviously that would drive up the price point," he said.

Tata Technologies could be involved in bringing the car up to U.S. standards, said Tony Jones, associate vice president of the global automotive practice.

Before it can be sold here, the car's two-cylinder, 623cc engine would have to be engineered to meet stronger U.S. pollution standards, he said. Airbags would have to be added, the roof strengthened and the front bumper lengthened to meet U.S. requirements to limit damage in a 5-mph crash.

The Spartan interior, with flat bucket seats, three knobs, a horizontal switch and a steering wheel, also would have to be changed to comply with U.S. safety standards that limit movement of passengers not wearing seat belts.

Jones said the Nano Europa has airbags and has passed European safety tests with flying colors.

The Nano, with 12-inch diameter tires, electric windows in the front and crank windows in the back, gets 50 mpg on the highway and has a top speed of 65 mph.

If the $8,000 price tag holds true, it would cost far less than the $9,970 Hyundai Accent, currently the car with the lowest base sticker price in the U.S., according to the Edmunds.com automotive Web site. The price excludes shipping.

:tup::tup:

3b113c3059df04be00055a3124ed7402.jpg

1171bac0a17d8ae5695cb09568aa9458.jpg

ae1ec3b643f2001fb460ec644b978783.jpg

bf2a384a74264a6f6c5804d2243a7773.jpg

80c5bc54f4510c99a951633f49da69b4.jpg

abc7122aa8779b365ce0d276fe6dc0bc.jpg

It is confirmed that small car Nano would be retailed in the US for around $ 5,000-WheelsUnplugged Automobile Industry News

The world’s cheapest car, Tata Nano is expected to keep its claim by also being the cheapest in the US as well. PTI reports that the small car being showcased by the Tatas is expected to be retailed there at around US$ 500. It is being displayed at the Detroit Motor Show by Tata Technologies at its 'Better Innovation' event at the Detroit Science Center. Tata Motors’ chairman, Ratan Tata while speaking at the Delhi Auto Expo had also confirmed that his company was working on a Nano variant for the American market.

Addressing a press conference at the Auto Expo, Ratan Tata, chairman of Tata Motors said, “We also recognise there is a market for the Nano not only in developing countries, but possibly in the developed countries. For the United States we need a car which has a larger engine and we need additional crash test modifications and we are in the process of doing it. We should be there in about three years.”

It is to be mentioned that the Tata Nano was introduced at the Delhi Auto Show in January, 2008 and retails for about US$ 2,500 in India. The model on display in Detroit is owned by Tata Technologies and is on loan from its Center for Advanced Engineering and Design in Pune, India. “The innovative thinking that brought the Tata Nano to market is symbolic of what Tata Technologies has to offer the automotive industry,” said Warren Harris, Tata Technologies’ president and COO. “Tata Technologies was front-and-center in engineering and developing the Nano; working closely with Tata Motors and with a significant number of the Nano project suppliers.”

Read more: It is confirmed that small car Nano would be retailed in the US for around $ 5,000 - WheelsUnplugged Automobile Industry News
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution

Nano - From India To The World ( With Love of course ! )

Yes this will be a great car for people who cant buy new more expensive cars. There are a lot of people out the who dislike this car but I think that this car was made so it would give people a chance to buy a car who normally would not be able to afford a new car. In India this car is already a hit so I would not be surprised if this car is popular in some other countries. It would be most successful in third world countries where normal people don't have enough money to buy a car from another brand but can buy this car.

:smitten:

can't this car come to Pak, this car is one of those Indian things i love :smitten:

:smitten:

can't this car come to Pak, this car is one of those Indian things i love :smitten:

still i am alive :eek: i will never ever allow any thing from india to pakistan unless its waight will be less then 5 kg.:D

why you wanna broke your car in pakistani public will stone this car if there is writen made in india.:lol:

just fun yaar

any way its great congs our indian friends i think it will sale much for commen ppl and third world .ppl which can't offord car before now they have one choice and its great.:yahoo:

Well, There is No harm if its sold to Pakistan.
Its more for the Gov To decide actually.

No doubt its Gr8 for entire south asia - Its Cheap - Its Small - and Above all Its SOOOO CUTE !!!

Tata Nano may come to US with $5,000 price tag

The world’s cheapest car, the Tata Group’s Nano that sells for $2,500 in India, may find its place in the U.S. garages at double the price when it is commercially launched here, but would still be lowest-priced car in America.

The cheapest vehicle in North America costs about $9,000-10,000 “so one could speculate that half of that - over $5,000 - is a possible price point” for the Nano in the U.S. and is still way cheaper than the lowest priced car, a Tata Technologies official said at the Detroit Science Centre here, where the car is on display for the US audience for the first time.

The official, who did not wish to be named since the decision on price would rest with Tata Motors, said the over $5,000 price range could also take into account all the necessary safety and emission requirements needed to ensure that Nano is fit for the U.S. roads.

Tata Technologies, part of the Tata Group, has brought the ‘Champagne Gold Nano LX’ from Pune, India to Detroit for an event titled ‘Better Innovation’, which was attended by media and auto company officials.

It may be remembered that earlier this month at the New Delhi Auto Expo, Tata Group Chief Ratan Tata had said the firm will consider launching Nano in the U.S. in the next three years as there is a market for the car not only in developing countries but also in developed countries.

Emphasising that his company “was not in a position to comment on Tata Motors’ product strategy” and price specifics, Tata Technologies President and COO Warren Harris said the cost of the Nano in the U.S. “would obviously be more than the $2,500 that is the price in India.”

“Obviously the structural changes that would need to be made, the changes required as far as emissions are concerned and some of the features that would be appropriate to add to the vehicle for the North American market would drive up the price point,” he said.

Harris said Nano’s price in the U.S. should be “fundamentally lower than any other vehicle in the country.

The previously most affordable car in India retailed at $5,000 and the Nano retails at half that price. “I suspect Ratan Tata is going to make a similar impact here,” he added.

If the Nano is to be retailed in the U.S., it has to have changes that comply with emission standards, besides making other adjustments in design and more features, Harris said.

On where the U.S. Nano could be manufactured, Harris said “all of that would have to be researched and be part of the decision making in and around the product entry in North America since Tata Motors today does not have a footprint in North America.”

He added that there is “no question that there is demand for a car like the Nano in the U.S

The Hindu : Business News : Tata Nano may come to US with $5,000 price tag

I doubt if this car can be sold in USA for $5000 , but it will be around that price and it would be great for the rest of the developing countries specially latin america and africa.

i saw this car one road last time I was in India . Runs well , at that particular moment it was running at 70KMPH approx . Nice speed when running in city .

its got a lot of opportunity in developing countries in asia and africa.... i see it daily here in kolkata running at quite good speed...

@Thread Starter ,

You are wrong .
pakistan defeated india in cheapest car segment when they rolled out Sitara in 2004-2005 .

http://magazine.avtoindex.com/images/exclu...city_cart_2.jpg

The Tata Rs One Lakh car - Habib Motors Sitara <<<< just have a look at the state of the art seatbelts .

I must say this is the GEM produced by Habib motors .

At that time nobody beleived Nano would be a car in its entireity, ppl thought it would be stripped off some of the essential features of a car and so they used to compare Sitara with what Tata was planning(now nano).

Either you are mocking or patronising. I would advise against both. :tup:

Back
Top Bottom