What's new

Team USA

Global Competitiveness Report 2014-2015 - Reports - World Economic Forum

Competitiveness Rankings

Access the rankings for every component of the Global Competitiveness Index (GCI) by choosing an item from the pulldown menu which reproduces the structure of the GCI. Click “Economy” to sort table alphabetically to quickly identify an economy of interest

The 12 pillars of competitiveness
We define competitiveness as the set of institutions, policies, and factors that determine the level of productivity of a country. The level of productivity, in turn, sets the level of prosperity that can be reached by an economy. The productivity level also determines the rates of return obtained by investments in an economy, which in turn are the fundamental drivers of its growth rates. In other words, a more competitive economy is one that is likely to grow faster over time.

The concept of competitiveness thus involves static and dynamic components. Although the productivity of a country determines its ability to sustain a high level of income, it is also one of the central determinants of its return on investment, which is one of the key factors explaining an economy’s growth potential.

Many determinants drive productivity and competitiveness. Understanding the factors behind this process has occupied the minds of economists for hundreds of years, engendering theories ranging from Adam Smith’s focus on specialization and the division of labor to neoclassical economists’ emphasis on investment in physical capital and infrastructure,2 and, more recently, to interest in other mechanisms such as education and training, technological progress, macroeconomic stability, good governance, firm sophistication, and market efficiency, among others. While all of these factors are likely to be important for competitiveness and growth, they are not mutually exclusive—two or more of them can be significant at the same time, and in fact that is what has been shown in the economic literature.

12 Pillars
1) Institutions
2) Infrastructure
3) Macroeconomic environment
4) Health and primary education
5) Higher education and training
6) Goods market efficiency
7) Labor market efficiency
8) Financial market development
9) Technological readiness
10) Market size
11) Business sophistication
12) Innovation

Rankings
1) Switzerland
2) Singapore
3) United States
4) Finland
5) Germany
6) Japan
7) Hong Kong SAR
8) Netherlands
9) United Kingdom
10) Sweden

Global Competitiveness Report 2014-2015 - Reports - World Economic Forum

Last edited:
I just went to the dentist today for a cleaning (3 times/yr BTW)...and so that got me thinking....

Americans and teeth

th
search_by_image_12.png

braces (ugh!)
adult_flag_12.png

th
search_by_image_12.png
adult_flag_12.png

that perfect smile

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

BBC News - American v British teeth

"Ricky Gervais is the first to admit that his teeth are neither white nor straight - and Americans mistakenly think he wears bad false teeth for comedic purposes. Why the dental divide?

British teeth are not like American teeth.

Hollywood smiles are pearly white paragons of straightness. British teeth might be described as having character.

So much character, in fact, that Ricky Gervais says one US journalist complimented him on being prepared to wear unflattering false teeth for his role as an English dentist in his latest film, Ghost Town. Only he didn't.

"He was horrified that I could have such horrible real teeth. It's like the biggest difference between the Brits and the Americans, they are obsessed with perfect teeth," says Gervais.

Unlike many British stars hoping to make it big across the Atlantic, Gervais hasn't bought himself a Hollywood Smile.

But what is it about the bright white and perfectly straight teeth of Los Angeles that Americans love - and expect of their public figures?

"Americans have the idea uniformity is equivalent to looking good. The British character is more free-spirited, more radical," says Professor Liz Kay, dean of the Peninsula Dental School in Exeter and Plymouth.

She says Americans aspire to a row of teeth which are absolutely even and white."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the US there is definitely a push for perfect teeth and going to the dentist at least twice a year.
If you are a child and your teeth are crooked you pretty much are doomed/destined/required to get braces.
If any of your front teeth are missing as an adult people will look at you and wonder if you are a meth addict ( Meth mouth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ). It certainly won't help if you have missing teeth in a job interview in corporate America.

20 years ago I had all my ugly silver mercury fillings replaced with white resin composites. The difference was dramatic.

My decades of pearly whites are now yellowing...do I bleach them (shudders Hydrogen peroxide induces DNA single- an... [Endocr Relat Cancer. 2009] - PubMed - NCBI )...

Last edited:
Life in America: The home backyard

Move Over Kitchen: The Backyard is the New Heart of the Home -- COLUMBUS, Ga., June 4, 2014 /PRNewswire/ --

COLUMBUS, Ga., June 4, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- As millions of Americans ready their outdoor space for summer season, a new study from SABER Grills reveals just how enamored U.S. homeowners are with their backyards. Eighty-three percent of homeowners across the country say their outdoor living space is the favorite place in their home. And it is the most used space in American households just behind the kitchen, and way ahead of the game room, living room and dining room. SABER Grills' OutdoorLiving2014 study included responses from 1,500 homeowners across the USA.

While spaces like dining rooms and formal living rooms have lost favor in American homes, the backyard has gained popularity each year. SABER's survey showed the overwhelming majority of current U.S. homeowners (81%) consider their outdoor space the heart of their home.

"It doesn't matter if your home is valued at $75,000 or $775,000, if you are an American homeowner, you are proud of your outdoor space and consider it an essential part of your home," said Rob Schwing, GM of SABER Grills. "Homeowners use their backyards to relax and reconnect with family – just like the kitchen."

It's not surprising then that 51% of all homeowners say they update the space as often as their favorite interior rooms. And, new man cave trend alert, a full 30% of male homeowners say they are solely responsible for decorating their homes' outdoor space. Topping the guy's wish list for 2014 outdoor space additions? A pool or hot tub. One thing they can't live without? Their grill. And, not surprisingly, "access to wi-fi" is now among the top five most common items in demand for outdoor living spaces.

Super engaged with their outdoor space are Baby Boomers who live in older homes, mostly congregating in the Southern and Midwestern U.S., the survey revealed. Their backyard is more likely than others to be equipped with TVs, wi-fi and special lighting. They own at least two grills and are adventurous entertainers, frequently trying new recipes with groups of five or more.

"We've dubbed this group 'super relaxers'," said Schwing. "The outdoor space was a major factor in their home buying decision and they are very engaged in making it comfortable. This group leads the way in defining how an outdoor space can be used and decorated."

Interesting regional facts:

• Midwesterners are the most interactive with their outdoor space: they update/accessorize most often and 75% use it throughout the week.
  • Top of the wish of outdoor furnishings for all was a pool or hot tub. Southerners and Westerners are most likely to include "kitchen" in the top three.
  • South and Northeast residents have the biggest parties, usually entertaining more than five people.
  • Southerners are most likely to own two or more grills, Northeasterners just one.
  • Roughly 40% of all outdoor chefs consider themselves average grillers. More than 30% of Northeasterners, however, identify themselves as "confident" grillers.
image.jpg

Last edited:
Life in America: Property sizes

Room to roam: Top 10 US states with largest lot sizes | Inman News

State / Sq. ft.

U.S. / 12,632
Vermont / 75,794
Montana / 73,616
Mississippi / 56,628
New Hampshire / 48,787
Maine / 44,431
Louisiana / 43,560
West Virginia / 40,511
Arkansas / 32,234
Wisconsin / 30,000
Tennessee / 27,443
Alaska / 26,572
Georgia / 26,572
Alabama / 26,136
Connecticut / 21,780
Michigan / 21,780
Wyoming / 21,780
Hawaii / 21,778
Kentucky / 21,344
North Carolina / 20,038
South Carolina / 19,166
Nebraska / 19,107
Virginia / 18,731
Massachusetts / 16,553
New Mexico / 14,375
Minnesota / 14,375
Illinois / 13,939
Indiana / 13,504
Idaho / 13,068
New York / 13,068
Missouri / 12,636
Kansas / 12,632
Oklahoma / 12,197
Pennsylvania12,197
South Dakota / 12,066
Ohio / 12,023
Washington / 11,761
North Dakota / 11,250
Delaware / 10,890
Iowa / 10,800
Rhode Island / 10,441
Colorado / 10,202
Maryland / 10,047
Florida / 10,026
New Jersey / 10,019
Oregon / 10,019
Utah / 10,019
Texas / 9,583
Arizona / 8,276
California / 7,200
Nevada / 6,098
Washington, D.C./ 2,378

Last edited:
Drive-thru continued...
Some wacky extremes

Lawyer advice
th
search_by_image_12.png
adult_flag_12.png

Liquor/Guns
th

Funeral
th

search_by_image_12.png
adult_flag_12.png

Wedding
drivethruwedding.jpg

Err umm...

Last edited:
First time i tried one was last year. Its a favorite spot for many of my students. They make really good fried chicken, baked beans, and corn bread. I must say American food is quite addictive.

^^,

Their Family Dinner packages are the ones to go for IMO.

Okay, I just went to Popeyes and I'm giving it a thumbs down compared to KFC. I got 2 mild chicken breasts for like $3.50 (which is a way better price than KFC) but it was just a plain egg batter (that was tasteless). KFC original beats it easily. Sorry I'm not the spicey food type so that's why I went mild.

Okay, I just went to Popeyes and I'm giving it a thumbs down compared to KFC. I got 2 mild chicken breasts for like $3.50 (which is a way better price than KFC) but it was just a plain egg batter (that was tasteless). KFC original beats it easily. Sorry I'm not the spicey food type so that's why I went mild.

See, I told you to try the spicy one. Your loss.

But it is always good to have choices. That is what makes 'murrica great! :D

great american values when bama's grand pa was not allowed to use white man's latrine in 1950's

great american values when bama's grand pa was not allowed to use white man's latrine in 1950's

Yes, the US was not perfect from Day 1 and there are plenty of things in the past, present, and future that can be described as "messed up".

I just learned a moment ago that my parents have their air conditioning set to 82F in their home in Florida. What's wrong with that you say...well it gets real hot down there so it's probably on full blast right now. Problem is they haven't been there in over a year.

Apparently this is the standard procedure to avoid mold growing in an unoccupied home in a hot humid climate.

So there are entire neighborhoods of unoccupied homes wasting electricity..

Last edited:
Basically you have a better chance in the US of living better if you have this kind of a job (usually requiring a college degree):
White-collar worker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

However if you don't have a college degree you may end up in one of these kinds of jobs (where Unions can come into the picture) and more likely have a stressful existence.
Blue-collar worker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Workers by Occupational Category | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

Location / White Collar Workers / Blue Collar Workers
1. District of Columbia / 55% / 45%
2. Maryland / 46% / 54%
3. Massachusetts / 46% / 54%
4. New Hampshire / 45% / 55%
5. Connecticut / 45% / 55%
6. Colorado / 45% / 55%
7. Minnesota / 43% / 57%
8. Virginia / 42% / 58%
9. North Dakota / 42% / 58%