What's new

Ten reasons why India will not and must not become a superpower

While I admire your sentiment and perhaps positive thinking is the key, things are not that clear cut. I will not say that India has not made any progress but it has been average at best and future may be not as rosy as you think.
my point is that,within a short time span,we have achieved a lot. Surely,there is a lot to go. So in a long run,we will become a super power.

my point is that,within a short time span,we have achieved a lot. Surely,there is a lot to go. So in a long run,we will become a super power.

We have not really achieved much. And I admire your confidence. Just I request, don't repeat the superpower story to everyone you meet. India is already looked down by so many from Russia to Brazil. The idea that we are somehow destined to become some kind of superpower only makes our image worse.

There is no threshold that we have to cross to become a so called "superpower " , we should just concentrate on economic and military development ,Slowly but surely build up a plan to eliminate the problems - poverty , education . Regardless of how others choose to describe us , we should be able to look out for our interests , Superpowers , potential superpowers , economic powerhouses etc are all media -invented and fuzzy terms .

We have not really achieved much. And I admire your confidence. Just I request, don't repeat the superpower story to everyone you meet. India is already looked down by so many from Russia to Brazil. The idea that we are somehow destined to become some kind of superpower only makes our image worse.
yes.we have achieved much.

We haven't considered ourselves to be a super power. Its the world that does
so. You can see the achievements of india. I am not saying that we are a super
Power. I am telling that we will become one. We will get
the result of our hardwork.
We as indians will support her.

yes.we have achieved much.

We haven't considered ourselves to be a super power. Its the world that does
so. You can see the achievements of india. I am not saying that we are a super
Power. I am telling that we will become one. We will get
the result of our hardwork.
We as indians will support her.

See that's the problem! World doesn't give rat's . It's only few western writers! Most people in west doesn't have good opinion of India (lets call it ignorance). It's only Indians now I hear who call India a superpower. More so than China! One guy in Australia writes something and TimesofIndia will make it sound like how world has fallen head over heel for India. I see on daily basis on so many forums how people (non-Indians) dismiss India just like that. China gets hammered too but then China is second biggest economy now and no one can refute that. Perhaps negative India image will go down once we are 3/4th biggest economy in world. Just don't consider opinion of couple of western writers and Indian propaganda newpapers as world opinion. People at best are simply ignorant of India. Only news that you hear about India in west is bad news.

So India should just keep it's head down and atleast Indians should not utter the word "superpower".

See that's the problem! World doesn't give rat's . It's only few western writers! Most people in west doesn't have good opinion of India (lets call it ignorance). It's only Indians now I hear who call India a superpower. More so than China! One guy in Australia writes something and TimesofIndia will make it sound like how world has fallen head over heel for India. I see on daily basis on so many forums how people (non-Indians) dismiss India just like that. China gets hammered too but then China is second biggest economy now and no one can refute that. Perhaps negative India image will go down once we are 3/4th biggest economy in world. Just don't consider opinion of couple of western writers and Indian propaganda newpapers as world opinion. People at best are simply ignorant of India. Only news that you hear about India in west is bad news.

So India should just keep it's head down and atleast Indians should not utter the word "superpower".
Ok ok,the writers may be
trying to mislead us.
But haven't we achieved much?

Ok ok,the writers may be
trying to mislead us.
But haven't we achieved much?

No. We are only getting started. How can we have achieved much when 1200 is our PCI, 48% Indian kids are malnourished, 32% are poor according to Indian standard....there is so much to do that very idea frightens me. Yes, we are improving and more or less on right track. Lets stick to this thinking and then in 40 years may be we can say that we have arrived. Not right now. Why does it matter whether we are super power or not? Do you think a Swede or Dane loses over this? These nations have highest living standard in world and yet no one cares about that. I would prefer us to be Sweden instead of this mythical super power.

No. We are only getting started. How can we have achieved much when 1200 is our PCI, 48% Indian kids are malnourished, 32% are poor according to Indian standard....there is so much to do that very idea frightens me. Yes, we are improving and more or less on right track. Lets stick to this thinking and then in 40 years may be we can say that we have arrived. Not right now. Why does it matter whether we are super power or not? Do you think a Swede or Dane loses over this? These nations have highest living standard in world and yet no one cares about that. I would prefer us to be Sweden instead of this mythical super power.
don't you think we have made tremendous progress within 64 years? I.e.
From nothing to some thing?

I will agree that its good for us to be like sweden or denmark. But we will make ourselves easy to be slaved i.e.
our words wont have a value.

Comeon guys we have achieved a lot in last few decades.
-we have created a good name for India
-Indians are respected all over the world and their culture and food is recognized
-we have put ourself in a league which we couldnt imagine a decade ago
-we have reduced so much Poverty (cosider the time of Independence where only handful of people were rich)
-we have created many success full organisations such as ISRO, software companies.. (Bollywood :P)
-our country is in top 10 major economies which is a huge leap
- we have excellent Military power
and many more...

though i agree we have a long way to go but whatever India has achieved since Independence has proved that no one can predict what will happen tomorrow, who knows where will India stand in a couple of decades and seeing its potential, growth and hardworking people surely something big (positive) is waiting for all of us and that something will again be a milestone for India and its people. hope for the best, we deserve it...

It takes half as long to make oneself stronger as it takes to wait for your opponent to get weaker. Pakistanis should think of trying to get stronger rather than fantasizing India to grow weaker- that just isn't gonna happen.

for a superpower to rise, it needs regional hegemony.

india shares the regional dominance with Pakistan...and it will remain that way.

China can become a superpower. They are regional hegemon of E.Asia (increasingly)

why are these threads welcomed. Don't want to waste time on these stupid threads and would appeal other Indian members too just let it go.

It just needs one region or state to breakaway and the whole country will fall apart.

Yeah and you Arab wannabes have tried that and only ended up losing a big chunk of yourself till date (you :P). Learn the moral of that story and stop attempting what you have been trying and let's keep our civilizations to our countries.

Back
Top Bottom