What's new

Ten reasons why India will not and must not become a superpower

Being a "superpower" is not a goal... it is a nightmare.

Look at the USA, spending hundreds of billions every year (despite already having a $14 trillion debt)... so they can be the "world policeman". And the people just end up hating them anyway.

Might as well flush hundreds of billions of dollars down the toilet every year. Who actually wants to be a superpower? Who really needs "global power projection"?

Why so many people are obsessed/passionate/interested/curious/care about the word Superpower. I find it hard to understand. How will it affect/change the life of ordinary citizens of India.

We should relentlessly pursue to improve the day to day life of all citizens in all means possible ( education, healthcare, infrastructure, justice, security, social culture etc.) .. The only quest must be improvement of everything we are lacking at. Power and respect of world community will follow.. Before we realize we will have power that we don't have to demand and do not have to show off for.

There are people who do the speculations, projections, debates and all - It is their job to do so. Normal people like us need not be too emotional or bothered about this future superpower thingy. Superpower as people perceive it, is not always a good thing either. I prefer an India being recognized along with the best in the world as a developed nation with high HDI, Per capita, social equality with enough military power to avert aggression. But getting into this supposed superpower shoes.. I don't want to go there. In Fact I wish we never get there.

how would a country know if it has reached superpower status? is there any markers set? just sounds so absurd to me! end of the day india as country needs to develop economically, eradicate poverty & hunger, high level of literacy, equal distribution of wealth among it's citizens, good healthcare for all it's nationals & have a strong military to safeguard its borders!! this is what one ideally wants for india. if this is what the definition of being a superpower, then i'm all for it!!
on the other hand if superpower means nothing to do with above, just the power projection with hi-tec military & sitting in the high chair in intl forums... then to HELL WITH IT!!

Damn! Wtf! is this super power sh!t!! We just need to improve the standard/quality of life of our ppl and reduce this poverty thats all!!!!

Being a "superpower" is not a goal... it is a nightmare.

Look at the USA, spending hundreds of billions every year (despite already having a $14 trillion debt)... so they can be the "world policeman". And the people just end up hating them anyway.

Might as well flush hundreds of billions of dollars down the toilet every year. Who actually wants to be a superpower? Who really needs "global power projection"?

Thats what India wants. India wants to be an agressive policeman state like USA. Remember after Mumbai attacks, Indian media were demanding their government and army to bomb areas of Pakistan's Azad Kashmir then India did not do anything but complain about Pakistan to the world.

India is not even a regional power, forget about superpower. The only country India has control over is Bhutan. India has territorial disputes with almost all her neighbours.

Thats what India wants. India wants to be an agressive policeman state like USA. Remember after Mumbai attacks, Indian media were demanding their government and army to bomb areas of Pakistan's Azad Kashmir then India did not do anything but complain about Pakistan to the world.

India is not even a regional power, forget about superpower. The only country India has control over is Bhutan. India has territorial disputes with almost all her neighbours.

Whenever I want to know what we indians want, i come and read your insightful posts. A burning hatred is the mother of all knowledge.

BTW talking of mumbai attacks, you stopped reading newspapers after that day? Atleast read the pakistan war section on PDF, keep yourself updated.

There is only one super power in the world and will continue to be so- the US. To be a superpower you need not the BS listed to be solved ( which is solvable) , but the more difficult path of having a NATO like alliance, military prowess and bases all over the world. No India, chain , Brazil or anyone can do it. period nor will they join hands...

BTW they also said the US would sink as an ecnomoy and country in the 80's because of the great Japanese - we all saw how that turned out. Don't bet against the US. Don't know how else to say it .

US is not going any where soon. All those talk about how US is losing its primacy in the international order is way too premature. But US also do not see India as its #1 competitor soon. As for relative influence, its still relative. If a company has a 95% share of world market for a particular product, losing it to 90% share is actually not fatal.

US is not going to be unseated as the sole super power for at least another 100 years. US has spent a lot of money and blood to reach this position and I don't think they will let that position go that easily. US spend more on their military than the entire world combined and have bases around the world. No country in the world is outside the reach of US. They have also successfully leveraged their economy to be the king pin of the world commerce and trade. If US economy collapses it will take the whole world along with it.

Unseating a world power is not an easy task. Only superpower that disintegrated without firing a shot was USSR. British were unseated as the masters of the game by WW2, Ottomans by WW1 and Romans by various invading Barbarians. As for attaining the superpower status, US sent and still sends soldiers hundreds of kilometers away from their homeland to pursue their ‘foreign policy’ (War is nothing but foreign policy pursued by other means). They lost 50,000 men in Vietnam alone for war that they did not win. Is India or China for this matter is ready to take that sort of commitment. We are even afraid to send some guards to protect our road building workers in Afghanistan. US supplies arms to Israel and still control oil in the Middle East. Can India get away with a stunt like that?

Back
Top Bottom