What's new

Tesla says 99% of the US population is now within 150 miles of a Supercharger

Hamartia Antidote

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
United States
https://electrek.co/2018/08/10/tesla-supercharger-cover-99-us-population-within-150-miles/

upload_2018-8-11_7-22-4.jpeg

The electric vehicle charging problem is becoming less and less of an issue every day and Tesla is arguably leading the way with the Supercharger network.

The automaker now says that “99% of the US population is within 150 miles of a Supercharger.”

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">99% of the US population is within 150 miles of a
Supercharger.

Tesla now has 10,836 Superchargers in operation at 1,339 stations around the world.

Earlier this year, we reported how Tesla’s Supercharger network is growing at a record pace in 2018 and Musk added that Tesla has thousands of new Supercharger stations in the construction/permit phase.

The automaker has revealed a new map for the 2018-2019 expansion to support the growing fleet with the launch of the Model 3.

But even before all those stations are deployed, Tesla says that “99% of the US population is within 150 miles of a Supercharger”:

The supercharger network’s main goal is to enable long-distance travel between destinations and with all of Tesla’s vehicles having at least 200 miles of range on a single charge, it enables virtually every Tesla owner in the US to get to a Supercharger.

The network has already been enabling cross-country travel for years now, but the latest expansions have enabled Tesla owners to travel virtually anywhere, most of them for free, with the exception of a few corridors that Tesla has yet to complete.

Here’s an example of a trip from Montreal to Los Angeles:

upload_2018-8-11_7-21-35.jpeg

We recently reported that the network has now delivered over 400 GWh of energy and it is rapidly accelerating as new stations come online and Model 3 deliveries are expanding.

Most of that energy was also delivered for free – or at least included in the price of Tesla vehicles.

In March, Tesla increased the cost of using its Supercharger stations for vehicles who are not under the free unlimited Supercharging plan.

All Tesla vehicles are still under the free unlimited Supercharging plan except the non-performance Model 3 and people who don’t buy a Model S, Model X and Model 3 Performance with a referral code.

Tesla has often announced that it would end the free unlimited Supercharging plan, but it now looks like Tesla is serious about ending it for new orders after September 16th.

The good news is that Tesla says that it plans to use revenue from the network to build new stations and expand the already extensive network of charging stations.

——————————————————-

This is pretty good since now 99% can reach their home after supercharging on the highway. This puts people’s range fears at ease.

Last edited:
150 miles (241.4 km) is a lot of distance for a charger. It is beyond the immediate neighbouring cities in any direction.

Tesla is officially launching a public Supercharger in Hawaii to expand its charging network. The company now has Superchargers in all 50 states of the U.S., which is a new milestone.

January 4, 2022, was a significant day, as for the first time in history Tesla officially launched its Supercharger network in all 50 states of the United States. This was made possible by the opening of the first public charging station at Pearlridge Center 98-1005, Moanalua Road, Aiea, Hawaii with 6 stalls. The news was shared by the official Tesla Charging account on Twitter. Although the Tesla Supercharger had already been installed there before, it was not public and was built for the company's board member and owner of a big part of the island, Larry Ellison.

Since the U.S. is home to Tesla, it's no surprise that 40.85%—or 12,325 charging stalls—are concentrated there, and the number continues to grow. In 2022, the company plans to increase the number of Superchargers around the world, and the U.S. is slated for the third largest funding for this purpose after Europe and China.

The U.S. is also the largest market for Tesla, and with the launch of Giga Texas, the number of the company's vehicles on the country's roads will grow significantly. It will also require a significant increase in the charging infrastructure, which Tesla's Supercharger teams are currently implementing. In addition to new locations, the company continues to add more stalls to existing ones in an effort to rationally respond to the growing demand in some locations.

Last edited:

These guys explain exactly why Tesla will have no serious competition for years.

Basically they say if Tesla did not have their supercharger network..having a Tesla would be a miserable experience.

Currently 1299 Tesla Supercharger sites in the US
superchargers.png

Last edited:

Tesla reaches 50,000 Supercharger (in the world) milestone in just over a decade​

Those are Supercharger “stalls” and not stations. Those 50,000 stalls are at about 5,500 locations around the world – primarily in North America, Europe, and China.

Last edited:
Have to commend Tesla on their charging network. I drove my car across the country and the network was always available and never down due to work or power issues. I was thinking that I might run out of charge but the car actually plans the route out really well.

Have to commend Tesla on their charging network. I drove my car across the country and the network was always available and never down due to work or power issues. I was thinking that I might run out of charge but the car actually plans the route out really well.

I will have to test that but as I have said previously a Tesla is perfect for anybody who drives less than 30 miles a day but has a lead foot. You just plug it in every night and you are back to full. No frequent gas station payment regrets.

Last edited:
I will have to test that but as I have said previously a Tesla is perfect for anybody who drives less than 30 miles a day but has a lead foot. You just plug it in every night and you are back to full. No frequent gas station payment regrets.
I drove from bay area and through Utah, colorado and then across to Atlanta. The network throughout the drive was great. It was a little weird that some of the chargers were at holiday inn and such, but overall long distance driving wasn’t bad.

One thing I would note is charging network around national park is a little bit iffy. Its not terrible, just could do better. I can also understand that adding network near and around national parks might be a park service and EPA problem.

And 100% of the population is within 1 miles of gas station. Just another marketing gimmick from tesla.

Back
Top Bottom