ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China
China-made tunnel boring machine to be exported to India
April 14, 2016

FOREIGN201604141340000253925316706.jpeg

(File Photo)

China's largest ever double-shield tunnel boring machine (TBM) rolled off the assembly line in Wuhan on April 13, and will soon be exported to India.

The TBM, at 9.86 meters in diameter and 150 meters in length, was made by China Railway Science & Industry Group Co. Its weight totals 2,500 tons, and its driving power can reach 4,200 kilowatts.

The machine took more than one year to make. It was built for the express purpose of completing a one-time 12.5-kilometer boring task in India.

In addition to India, products of China Railway Science & Industry Group Co. have also been exported to other countries including Turkey and Laos.

I think we have been importing them for some time...... I remember Chennai metro imported few machines 4 years back......

In the final analysis, regional cooperation is always favorable over contention. Just as negative policies create negative externalities, positive policies create positive externalities. Economic communication and integration could be the basis for greater rapprochement on other politicized/securitized areas.

In that respect, constructive communication and cooperation with any neighbor/regional actors are good in the long run.

I heard once someone here on PDF said "Chinese equipments are junk", oh wait I heard it many time some said that, oh but wait I think I heard many people said it many times...oh yeah they were all Indians. :buba_phone:
They claim Chinese equipment are junk becos Indian hardly know how to make anything useful. :D

Does anyone know for which project this tbm will be used to bore tunnels?

Does anyone know for which project this tbm will be used to bore tunnels?

The news article says it is built as a single project/task to bore a 12km tunnel. I am not sure, however, which specific project.

Well, lets call them inferior grade. That much should be acknowledged.
Then you must be the inferior customers. :D

Tunnel boring machine is not some simple cheap toy. It is one of the most complex and sophisticated construction machine. China has sold this for a decade and customers continue to come back for more. The European and Japan has not much different in quality and sophistication but the price is far apart compare to China one.

Back
Top Bottom