What's new

The destruction of Persian Library in Ctesiphon by Arab Forces

Modern math textbooks cite Chinese use of matrices.

There is not a single valid textbook that mentions anything of worth from Persia.

Not a single map, nor a single star chart was concepualised by the Persians.

They mostly wrote poems or p0rn novels in praises of their kings.

Almost every civilization or people have had a library. Some wrote it down, some were oratory. But none came close to China or the builders of the pyramids.

A building full of p0rn novels is not "really" a library. A library implies a cross-subject collection.

Exactly, they wrote praises of their kings, and some p0rn. Nothing else.
Why are you repeating your stupid comment again? Persian calendar is one of the oldest calendars in the world, and at that time there were several books about it in the library. We in Iran still use it with some changes.
In this library, there were many books about how to collect taxes, provinces of Empire , administer the country, how to build palaces, build irrigation canals, etc., which were used for state management during the Umayyad and Abbasid periods.
The Avesta book of Zoroastrians is also a heavenly book and according to Islam, Zoroaster was a divine prophet

Why are you repeating your stupid comment again? Persian calendar is one of the oldest calendars in the world, and at that time there were several books about it in the library. We in Iran still use it with some changes.
In this library, there were many books about how to collect taxes, provinces of Empire , administer the country, how to build palaces, build irrigation canals, etc., which were used for state management during the Umayyad and Abbasid periods.
The Avesta book of Zoroastrians is also a heavenly book and according to Islam, Zoroaster was a divine prophet
Literally every civilization worth its salt collected taxes and kept the populationa fed and protected.

Not a single star chart was conceptualized by the Persians, they were an agrarian civilization, just over hyped gatherers.

The term library is thrown around too liberally. A small hut with a few hundrrd scrolls containing stories and praises of kings is not really a library.

The invention of the compass most likely had a scientific complex behind it.

The Mayan calendar is one of the oldest, the Gobekli Tepe calendar is the oldest known one to mankind.

In the end, the Prophet Adam had the earliest human calendar.

The Jinns might have had their own calendars that predate humanity itself.

The Creator of all things knows best!

Last edited:
Are you now disparaging the second caliph of Islam Umar ibn al-Khattab? If you are a Muslim, then Umar ibn al-Khattab’s (RA) decision should satisfy you. If he deemed those books to be destroyed, then we should not question him.
He was a Human and humans can make mistakes.The Early Arab Muslims were clueless about Mathematics and other science subjects unlike Hindus,Greeks, Egyptians and other civilizations.
The people saying that these were just p0rn novels.I ask them p0rn novels for whom? Common people don't read such novels in a Library LoL.

Not so creative name.
May be Piet can help you.
Tag him

What is your source for this?
No history book has reported this.
There was a library in Tisophon, but it was never set on fire and taken as booty by Arabs.
The books were thrown into water.
The Muqaddimah by Ibn Ibn Khaldun (Princeton Classics) Chapters #06
1699932817756.png

Nope. Islam respect knowledge. From Persian libraries and scholars I believe the Muslim golden age is started. Arab from Mecca and Madinah dont have that thing, they are also not occupied by Rome. If they destroyed those libraries you would not see Muslim schoolar like Ibnu Rusdy and others that is later taken by Western world and started their renaissance

Just dont believe so easily when you hear someone saying this and that in YT without proof

Due to the earlier Muslim respect on knowledge then humanity can witnessing Islamic Golden Age that is acknowledged by even Westerners.

The shia hatred for Hazrat Umar Bin Khattab (ra) is no secret so everyday they manufacture fairy tales in order to show him in a negative light ... Nothing new....

There is no actual sources, please do not get agitated.

Do your own research about this if you believe these false claims to be true.

I do my own factual research whenever a claim is made, and if it is the truth then I confirm it from primary and then secondary sources.

As far as I am concerned, this seems suspicious to me, but perhaps I maybe wrong. However, I have done extensive reading of the Middle East from Cyrus the great until Napoleon, and this so far is new knowledge, even the Cambridge history of Iran does not mention this.

At any rate anything is possible. But since we are living in tumultuous times, I would take any new incomimg knowledge with a grain of salt.

What is it with Middle Eastern people and their unhealthy obsession with history?!

Do you know how many precious libraries Westerners and others have destroyed throughout history in Europe itself? Did that stop them from colonising your homelands?

Stop this manic mindset and focus yourselves on the present.

The books were thrown into water.
The Muqaddimah by Ibn Ibn Khaldun (Princeton Classics) Chapters #06View attachment 1012612
I dont believ it until I read the book myselves or I can read the online version of it from credible online source.

Despite so, what is the motive to bring this and made you make the thread ?

The fact that early Muslim is proven to respect knowledge that make them able to start Islamic Golden Age that is acknowledged by even Western historian that is the one that is important.

All of Greek philosopers knowledge is also proven being preserved by early Muslims. That is the one that important.

Yep, even if Umar ended up really thrown it to water so what ? It shows his knowledge on Islam is not that great if that is the case. I am not Salafi who think that early Muslims never made any mistake, the fact that they made a war among themselves during Ali period is another prove of my assessment.

Islam is only complete after early Muslim can compile Quran during Ustman period and compile Hadith 4 centuries after that by Muslim and Bukhari.

Entire books have been written on the loss of the library, but I would first note that most historians reject this story as scurrilous. In fact, the orientalist Bernard Lewis, not ordinarily considered a propagandist for Islam, wrote an essay entitled "The Arab Destruction of the Library of Alexandria: Anatomy of a Myth" which appears in What Happened to the Ancient Library of Alexandria? by Mostafa el-Abbadi and Omnia Mounir Fathallah, eds. (2008), a series of papers from a conference on the same topic.

A mention of Umar directing the burning of the library is first found in the 12th-century writings of Abdul al-Latif al-Baghdadi. Ibn al-Qifti, who visited Cairo in 1200, writes of the incident in his History of Learned Men (Ta'rikh al-hukama), and his story was repeated a few years later by Bar-Hebraeus. In other words, despite a rich literary tradition, half a millennium passed when no source, whether Christian or Muslim or Jewish, from anywhere within the Arab or Byzantine or Persian worlds, makes any reference to the destruction of the world-famous library that supposedly occurred in 642. That is, none until it surfaces in al-Qifti, for whom it was politically expedient.

The library had already suffered. A good part of its collection was destroyed in 47 BC, and another in 273 AD, and probably more in 391 (although blaming Patriarch Theophilus seems to be an equally scurrilous accusation, considering his real target was the Temple of Serapis in another part of the city). It's possible that the story is a fabrication; it's possible that Amr burned a different library, perhaps that of a monastery, that became conflated with the Great Library; or perhaps Amr did burn the Great Library— but by that time, itw as a library great only in name.

Please give authentic references not some random youtuber

Nope. Islam respect knowledge. From Persian libraries and scholars I believe the Muslim golden age is started. Arab from Mecca and Madinah dont have that thing, they are also not occupied by Rome. If they destroyed those libraries you would not see Muslim schoolar like Ibnu Rusdy and others that is later taken by Western world and started their renaissance

Just dont believe so easily when you hear someone saying this and that in YT without proof

Due to the earlier Muslim respect on knowledge then humanity can witnessing Islamic Golden Age that is acknowledged by even Westerners.

What islamic golden age are you talking about?

After Islam, Iran never rose to its pre-islamic glory, and is still struggling. Everything Islam and these arebs got, came from Iran including their alphabets and grammar. Areb(muslims) buried their female babies because hey were not male. Persians civilized these barbarian arebs and gave them a sense of identity and language they never had.

Maragheh observatory, Iran:
Built in 1259 after 5 years of construction was for over 100 years one of the biggest and most important observatories in the world.o_O

Men of mathematics, science, and astronomy came to the Maragheh Observatory from across the world. According to texts recovered from the observatory, the site had a reputation so widespread it had reached as far as China as students had traveled to study mathematics, physics, and astronomy

how it looked like 750 years ago
Maragheh_original_observatory.JPG

Maragheh_1.JPG

Maragheh_2.JPG

The Maragheh observatory was excavated by the Iranian archeologists in 1972. The work was commissioned by the University of Tehran and university of Tabriz. A dome was created to preserve the excavation site.

1024px-Mara%C4%9Fa_r%C9%99s%C9%99dxanas%C4%B1_%281%29.jpg

Maragheh_observatory.JPG

maragheh_3.JPG

Nasir al-Din Tusi was the lead Persian astronomer and mathematician and first director of the observatory. Tusi was born in the city of Tus in Khorasan in the year 1201.
3700874.jpg

tusi3.jpg

lot of our libraries, centers of education, cities were destroyed too - but not an muslim/arab specific thing though
similar things happened in Egypt too, Greeks/Byzantine, Armenians - all old civilizations experienced such traumatic events throughout their history especially in Europe and ME
Yeah. Mongols destroyed far more of world heritage than anyone else.
Likewise the British

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom