What's new

The Differences Between India & Pakistan- Karl rock (travel vlogger)

Here’s what I noticed from a traveller’s perspective.

Food: Pakistan = non-veg, India = veg​

I love to eat. So the first thing I noticed upon arriving in Lahore was the fantastic meat dishes. The meat is always freshly killed and cooked, and I think that has something to with why Pakistani meat dishes are always juicy. Try a seekh kebab in Pakistan and India, and you’ll see the difference straight away, the Pakistani ones are juicier.

Pakistanis are massive meat eaters, they consume 3 times more meat than all of India. So it makes sense that they’re experts in cooking it.

India, on the other hand, knows how to cook vegetables like nobody else in the world. You’ll struggle to find vegetable dishes at restaurants in Pakistan unless it’s breakfast.

For example, it was amusing to me to find Dal Maas (lentils and meat) in Pakistan, whereas in India they don’t put meat in Dal.

India’s variety of veg. dishes is absolutely endless. Even a meat eater like me has become far less reliant on meat and consumer a lot more vegetables in India.

When it comes to food safety. I got sick in Pakistan from street food on both trips, 2018 & 2020. I get sick in India roughly every 3 months from food. If I had to choose one, I’d say Pakistani food preparation areas looked cleaner to me.

Language: Urdu & Devanagari Script​

Hindi and Urdu are nearly identical languages except they have different scripts. In Pakistan, all you see is Urdu script everywhere whereas India is dominated by Devanagari.

Just looking at a photo from each country you can immediately tell which street is in India and which is in Pakistan.

City Design​

Walking around Lahore and Islamabad, I found them similar to big Mughal influenced cities in North India like Delhi, Ajmer, and Lucknow. Clearly, South Indian design is nothing like Pakistani, but North India and Pakistan are similar. After all, both areas at one time were ruled by the same rulers.

For example, Jama Masjid in Delhi and Badshahi Mosque in Lahore are nearly identical having been built in a very similar style.

People & Hospitality​

2018 Experience: I found people on the street in Pakistan to be helpful but wary of a foreigner. Overall I found them less warm than Indians. I think this has something to do with their distrust and dislike of America. They probably assume I’m from there.

Usually, a local’s first question to you will be, “Where are you from?” I’d love to know what their reaction would be if I told them, “America.” I’m assuming it’s going to be different from New Zealand which has a cricket team that I found many Pakistani’s complimenting me on.

I find Indians warmer to foreigners in general. There’s no hatred of America there.

2020 Experience Update: My opinion has changed since 2018. On my second trip, I felt very few people being wary of a foreigner. Below are two beautiful examples of how I was treated as I roamed the streets alone.

When it comes to meeting friends in Pakistan and India, I found hospitality to be nearly the same.

When it comes to travelling alone it’s similar, but there’s one caveat.

India’s tourism industry has been booming with over 10 million foreigners visiting every year. Pakistan on the other hand has only started taking tourism seriously since 2019.

Big Indian tourism destinations like Delhi and Jaipur have been overrun by conmen trying to scam tourists. This isn’t present in Pakistan… yet. So Pakistan is a far more relaxed experience with many locals being surprised to see foreigners and eager to show their hospitality.

In the smaller Indian cities, where tourists don’t go, you will find classic Indian “Guest is God” culture still. Just not so much in the big cities anymore. But it still can happen in the big cities as you’ll see in the below clip.

Both my Pakistani and Indian friends show fantastic hospitality and a passion for showing you their country and making sure you are comfortable and enjoying.

Religion​

This one is obvious whether you’ve visited or not. Pakistan is dominated by Islam. Multiple times a day you’ll hear the prayer ceremony broadcast out across the city. You’ll hear the same in Muslim majority areas in India too.

India, on the other hand, is more visibly diverse – although around 79% of Indians are Hindu. In India, you’ll see Churches, Gurudwaras, Hindu temples, Jain temples, and Mosques everywhere.

A Few More Differences​

• English is more prevalent in India.
  • There seemed to be less poverty in Pakistan.
  • Streets are generally cleaner in Pakistan.
  • Very few stray animals in Pakistan.
  • Driving on motorways in Pakistan is much safer because the Police are very strict with fines. If people speed, don’t stay in their lane or don’t use their indicators when changing lanes, they get a fine.
  • There are no liquor stores in Pakistan.
  • There are more women out and about on the streets in India.
  • Women in India are more approachable in general.
Trigger warning- this guy is an Indian at heart so his opinions should be taken with a grain of salt as they are probably stupid afa pak is concerned

Can Pakistan become a major attraction for regular foreign visitors without easy availability of liquor ? Whaddaya think @Sainthood 101 @N.Siddiqui @_NOBODY_ @Imran Khan

I know non muslims can consume alcohol but afaik there aren't many shops and they are quite shady. Moreover it's not the same thing to buy with prying eyes and being able to consume only inside the hotel room (if at all). I am sure conservative owners frown on that, regardless of religion of drinker.

Can Pakistan become a major attraction for regular foreign visitors without easy availability of liquor ? Whaddaya think @Sainthood 101 @N.Siddiqui @_NOBODY_ @Imran Khan

I know non muslims can consume alcohol but afaik there aren't many shops and they are quite shady. Moreover it's not the same thing to buy with prying eyes and being able to consume only inside the hotel room (if at all). I am sure conservative owners frown on that, regardless of religion of drinker.
I believe that the tourists who come to explore natural beauty don't mind this. In big cities, liquor can be easily purchased in 5-star hotels.

Last edited:

Even if liquor is freely available in public areas and not just in hotels for foreigners, don't think Pakistan can become a major tourist attraction anytime soon. :woot:

And most of the backpackers who visits here are on shoestring budget and they are not that great spenders and not contributing to economy but yes the image perception of Pakistan changes and with 4 new visitors and the multiplier effect is happening. The reason so many vloggers are visiting Pakistan alongwith other countries.

The rich business class foreign tourists will restrict themselves to hotels and with no vlog coming. They are provided cars and all the perks, they are the big spenders in hotels ranging around 150-250 USD per night. And they are spoilt for choices including liquor.

BTW many of the new year parties in big mansions in cities have an abundance of liquor supply.

Yes some travel vloggers spends big, at times.

Why would western people come to Pakistan to attend westernized people's parties or visit westernized places? Agar koi tourist aya to desi culture dekhnay aye ga westernized places pa kisi majbori sa aanay wala jaye ga
That is true. But daaru phir bhi chahiye hoti hai. Gaon mein khatiya laga ke pakoday aur beer types

That is true. But daaru phir bhi chahiye hoti hai. Gaon mein khatiya laga ke pakoday aur beer types
There is a huge growth in travel vloggers visiting Pakistan due to social media taking the centerstage than the mainstream giving all sorts of negative news about Pakistan.

And I have a strange feeling that many of the Gora vloggers visiting India and later Pakistan gives more positive vibes about Pakistan than about India. This could be just a perception, as Pakistan was earlier getting all sorts of bad press in intl' media and when these vloggers visits here, they find the country and the people completely different and they are pleasantly surprised, so that awe factor results in positive vibes (like when you expect bad and you find it to be good)

India gets many times better media vibes in mainstream intl' media than Pakistan, so the surprise factor is there.

There is a huge growth in travel vloggers visiting Pakistan due to social media taking the centerstage than the mainstream giving all sorts of negative news about Pakistan.

And I have a strange feeling that many of the Gora vloggers visiting India and later Pakistan gives more positive vibes about Pakistan than about India. This could be just a perception, as Pakistan was earlier getting all sorts of bad press in intl' media and when these vloggers visits here, they find the country and the people completely different and they are pleasantly surprised, so that awe factor results in positive vibes (like when you expect bad and you find it to be good)

India gets many times better media vibes in mainstream intl' media than Pakistan, so the surprise factor is there.

I have a contrarian opinion on vloggers visiting Pakistan and going out of their way to explain how things are not the way they are portrayed. This was good for initial marketing, but continuing with this keeps the unsafe image alive. Now the reviews should be more organic. The feeling of being safe should come from the fact that none of the vloggers are even mentioning safety as a factor.

I will also add that tourism revenue will not be driven much by either the shoestring backpacker kind or the high budget lux traveler. The money is in the fat middle of the bell curve. These are the people who want a little bit of everything.

Last edited:

ohhh bhai paksitan is not a small country . anyone come paksitan should have homework before traveling . in sindh province there are alcohol shops all over province you can get easily .

in punjab you have to get from dealers or hotels .almost every 4 star hotel serve alcohol and there is shop of hotel for alcohol sale

in capital territory you have hotels dealers and clubs for alcohol

in balochistan you have hotels and shops for alcohol

in KPK there are few hotels whom sale alcohol rest its dry .

but these you-tubers came here like CHINDI GHAREEB . they try to live cheap places eat free or cheap and have no experinace at all how pakistan . tell him go live in marriot /Ramada /best western /pearl continental /nishat /moveinpick /Serena /Hilton . and ask staff i need alcohol he will serve you anything you need in few minutes .but these guys go live in raja bazar and say ohhh look its dry country

tell him go islamabad and find canadian club biritsh club french club Webpreneur Lounge etc and ask any brand he want .

or kitna alcohol kareeb kareen bhai ???????

1657571170906.png

Agree there is a difference in how alcohol is consumed in the west and here. Drinking in a room without any company is hardly a party.
@Imran Khan Sir Jee log hume mention karna shuru ho gaye hain yahan badnaami ho rahi hai :lol:
yes every country is different from each other . if they need alcohol then they have to go alcohol place in pakistan . it will not be available of grocery stores here . its very simple . and they have to know pakistan have 7 units and each one have own way of sale consume alcohol . do some hoe work .

Back
Top Bottom